Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] - Serenity Shuttle

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
Hey PC,

I am working on a new project for school. I have chosen to model the shuttle from the TV show serenity. I am new to modeling in maya so I am have a little trouble getting it right. Im hoping you all can give me some much needed guidance. Right now I am just working on the basic shapes.

I am sure my edge loops are crazy and the topology is off so if you can get me moving in the right direction that would be a great help.

I don't know how to set up renders in maya so I apologize for the screen grabs.

Thanks guys.

shuttle1.jpg

shuttle2.jpg

shuttle3.jpg

Reference:
shuttle1-1.jpg

shuttle2-1.jpg

Replies

• popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like in the reference that there are some pieces that could be modeled seperately with multiple meshes instead of a single one with complex geometry. You'll probably have an easier time modeling it that way. Also, watch out with all those triangles as you increase the chance of having smoothing artifacts.
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firefly was awesome I wish it would have continued past one season : (

If your not planning to animate this I would agree with Popngear and break this down into seperate pieces. This will give you more freedom to add more detail to the cockpit and wings and so on. I would recommend starting with the cockpit, select all the faces and extract them. (Mesh> Extract) that will make the cockpit seperate from the body so you can add more detail and model it the way you want without affecting the body. I would also place the cockpit on a different layer. Hope this helps
  • Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips guys, I have taken your advice and gone back and recreated the shuttle using multiple meshes rather than just one. I think the edge loops and surfaces look much better.

Let me know what you think.

shuttle5.jpg
    shuttle4-1.jpg
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You seem to have quite a few loops, specifically on the wing, that seem to have no purpose as they dont change the shape of the geometry.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can collapse your excessive edge loops without changing the silhouette that much; ask yourself if these edge loops do anything at all. I also see a few ngons on the tail wing.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You aiming for a lowpoly or a highpoly?
  • Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I will go over the forms and clean up the mesh the best I can. Thanks for the advice.