Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Pooltable

hey guys

just looking for some for advice on how else i can improve
the model is for simple marble game that i am making.

Critiques03.jpg
Critiques04.jpg

im also looking for advice on how to start unwrapping it...

Replies

• xVenomWithinx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this your high poly model? cause if it is, you can keep adding more detail to it, then create a low poly for baking. are you using photo reference?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you use reference?
    I mean. those are some huge ass holes in the table. damn son.
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How close do you want it to being a real pool table? Cause as it stands your holes are way to large and the nipples* of the side pockets are way too forgiving. If it is necessary for your game for the pockets to be that open then its fine...
    If your are planning on having such a high poly model you should add a strip of metal around the outside edge of the top.

As for unwrapping, I would unwrap each part that is its own material together, and separate anything with a natural seam... although, if the texture isn't going to be very detailed, then you can probably stack a lot of the uvs into things that have the same material... and even if it is somewhat detailed you can still mirror a shit ton. But that kinda depends on your texture limits and how much detail you want in the model.

*Nipples = The parts of the railing that is over the side pockets
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while i didnt intend the hole to be out of proportion, not that i think about it, i think it would be good for my purpose.

im making a simple marble game, where you are a ball, and in this section of the map, other balls will try and hit you into the pockets, and with the pockets being unusually large it will make the game a tad harder.

in terms of unwrapping i might only have one texture of 1024x1024 for this object.

any other advice?
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    while i did use reference, i didnt set up any planes or anything like that, basically just googling and working from there...

when i think about it, the bigger holes will work for its purpose, because its a marble madness game, and in this portion of the map other balls will try and hit you into the holes...
    so i guess it works for this purpose

on unwrapping - ive started to unwrap it by putting a cylindrical uvw map on the holes and ive been doing planes for everything else, except for the leg, which is a box.

my teacher told me i should just do a box for the main section of the table, is there any better ways to do this?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say it depends on a lot of things...Texture budget, detail continuity (you don't want to break apart two polys that have for example a line that crosses through them)...
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Ha! I read pootable...mmm, pooltable:)
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say it depends on a lot of things...Texture budget, detail continuity (you don't want to break apart two polys that have for example a line that crosses through them)...

ummm texture budget will probably be one texture of 1024x1024 for the pool table.
    would it help if i posted my unwrap so far?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gabbaii wrote: »
    ummm texture budget will probably be one texture of 1024x1024 for the pool table.
    would it help if i posted my unwrap so far?

Yeah sure, it would always help. Try to consider these things:

- What platform is it for and how big can your texture be? (you've already figured that one out)

- Which parts will be closer to the player? Things that will be seen up close need more detail, both the geometry and the texture. Things that will never be seen might not even need to be modelled, and if you absolutely have to you can just unwrap it on top of another polygon, no need to give it exclusive texture space. Also, keeping an uniform pixel density (as in keeping every UV island in the same proportion to one another as the polys are in the model itself) is important, but allow yourself to change things here and there according to these needs. You don't want the face of your model to have the same density as the bottom of their feet.

- What parts absolutely need exclusive detail? Whenever you can unwrap similar parts on top of one another, unless specific detail is needed, but even then you can utilize your texture space in clever ways. See here how Jon-Troy Nickel used a small portion of what would otherwise be wasted space to make an eye variation and break symmetry.

That said, here are a couple of suggestions off the top of my head. You could planar map each side and then pair them accordingly to save space. Another suggestion is maping the four corners and then grouping all four together, which would save you even more space, but would get you "symmetry lines" right in the middle of all 4 faces. It's all a matter of how much detail you need to give it and where it needs to be the most.

2yngjt1.jpg

33moink.jpg
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i just modeled one corner of the table and used the symmetry modifier

im just unwrapping on corner of it...

this is the unwrap

PoolTable_Unwrap.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "This image or video has been moved or deleted."

:(

Edit: Seem to be working now. :thumbup:
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that should work now =)
    i've run in and just put a few place holders in
    i just put a skylight in with cast shadows on, but the renders seem really bright to me.
    any suggestions?

WIP01.jpg

WIP02.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know shit about rendering so I can't give any healthy advice in that area. I would like to see however a checker texture applied to it so you can see the pixel density on each part.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, my suggestion would be to bake down an ao-map for your texture and then delete that skylight. And to set up some proper lighting just add a couple of omni's or something.. Skylights kill your specular and normals, and while you might not have those yet it'll still look better :)
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Good advice.

Actually if it's an asset for a game I'd forget rendering altogether and try to make it look good on the viewport, realtime, it looks much more authentic.
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it is for game
    using an engine called unity. i havent got it into game yet, hopefully i get that done tomorrow.

a couple of questions:

how do i go about baking an AO map onto the texture?

and

how do i set up omni lights to get a nice render?
    ive tried messing around with a couple omni lights here and there but cant get it right...
    pardon the pun, but can anyone shed some light on lighting =P

here's the checker render =)
    ill probably have to unwrap the legs again =(

WIP03.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, texture seems good except for the feet where pixels are clearly stretched, but you've noticed that already.

As for the ambient occlusion, I think there are several different ways. I usually just select mental ray as the rendered, then go to render to texture ("0" key), select the object, select "Ambient Oclusion (MR)" from the map list, set map size and output folder and that's it, no need to create lights or anything.

The tutorial below goes through a more complicated route and honestly the results don't look any better than what I get to justify the added complexity, but maybe I'm doing something wrong and just don't know.

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=37
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay im getting a good AO render on the pool table, just need to go back and replace my place holder textures...

now im having trouble with lighting.. =S

WIP04_Lighting.jpg

how do i achieve realistic lighting?
    the scene is of a bar/pub.

similar to these:
    Amsterdam_Sports_Bar.JPG
    i dont want my scene to be that bright, but how do i fake bouncing light so that you can see the bottom part of the pool table?
    currently its just running a single spot light...
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    There's a bunch of ways to get an effect like that
    first you could make a lot of low intensity lights near the ground, but it won't look too good and it'd cost a lot of time
    second you could just add a bit of ambient light in your render settings, would give the same amount of color everywhere
    third you could add a skylight(on a low intensity), would work a bit like the ambient light, except creases and corners would be darker, like this
    fourth and most realistically, you could simulate actual light bounces.

but for now (at least during the WIP stage) you could probably get away with just ambient or skylight
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did have a skylight in if you check some previous posts, and it just kills it.
    its looks really bright and doesnt look very good when it has a textured applied. it looks really good when its just a grey texture.

how do i go about adding and ambient light in render settings?
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    The legs look a bit short. It looks like you would have to lean over quite a bit to play on it.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan wrote: »
    The legs look a bit short. It looks like you would have to lean over quite a bit to play on it.

Agreed. Actually I can't believe I didn't notice it before. The whole table could probably be scaled up on Z, the main section of the table looks a lot sturdier on the reference picture.
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers guys =)

ill post up a another WIP with the changes =)
    Agreed. Actually I can't believe I didn't notice it before. The whole table could probably be scaled up on Z, the main section of the table looks a lot sturdier on the reference picture.

i was working from a few reference images. when i showed my teacher a shot of one of my very first models he said that the main body was too chunky. so i scaled that down a bit =)
    Snader wrote: »
    fourth and most realistically, you could simulate actual light bounces.

but for now (at least during the WIP stage) you could probably get away with just ambient or skylight

how do i go about simulating light bounces???
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe it's just me, but green and orange like that reminds me way too much of Halloween. Or a carrot. Maybe make your wood more.... wood-like? You can't really see the grain all that much. Make the wood a darker tone, and increase the contrast for the grain.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Keep in mind that the felt goes up on the rails. The rails are separate pieces, they aren't flush to the wood like the way you have them.

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/or/0t/refelt-pool-table-bumpers-800X800.jpg

You can't tell in that image, but the felt also runs under neath the lip of the rails as well. Like so:
    http://cdn-viper.demandvideo.com/media/acb9bb79-0806-4a6c-b9b2-e98c369da6eb/jpeg/bb522b5e-5d0c-4ea7-96da-efeadc0a9e87_2.jpg

That table is way too short off the ground at the moment, unless you meant it to be that way. Don't forget the diamonds too. You could even add some light white hand chalk marks on the felt too, nothing too drastic though.

Other things you might add: If it's going to be a small table like the way you have it, you could make it a quarter table and add the device where you put the coins in like in your reference pic. Also having some blue chalk sitting on the table would be a nice touch.
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys
    been working a fair bit on it

toned down the brightness of the wood
    made the legs a tad longer
    also made the felt go up the table more

still need to work on the textures, especially around the pockets.
    can anyone give some more advice on lighting the scene?

one thing i do need to fix up is the bump map
    when i was doing place holder textures i also did a place holder bump map. and i have yet to replace it...

PoolTable_Lighting_WIP.jpg
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Better, but you're still a bit off as to how a table is built. Check out this image, it might help. Really look at the rails, and then look at yours.

scheibej_pool_table_cue_balls.jpg

I do flyers for the pool league I'm in so it was helpful to build a table in 3d to render how ever I wanted, check out the pockets on mine and how open they are. Also, pay attention to how how the rails are off of the playing surface, yours are way too high. The part I've highlighted that says "seperate piece" is a lip of a cylinder that fits into a hole there, making the pocket, so you don't want to have it was one piece the way you do now. You can see it in your reference pic too.

pockets.jpg

Also check out how the felt wraps up and around the rails

felt.jpg

Might want to rethink the area where you have the balls off the table sitting. Typically there is an indention there that the balls sit in so they don't slide all around like they do now.
    Get those diamonds on there too! :D

Might be beneficial to head to a pool hall yourself, play for an hour, take some pics, and really pay attention to what a table looks like. Keep it up!
  • gabbaii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys and girls
    i know there hasnt been any posts in this thread for a while, so here is a progress shot from what he table looks like in game.

wip1.jpg

the scene is of a bar/pool hall
    its a basic marble game where you control the ball and navigate through the level.

any crits on the pool table or the level in general would be awesome
    cheers guys
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't ignore the post right above yours, mate.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i've actually use to have the job of installing/re-upholstering pool tables working for my parents as a wee kid and I can say that this is way off. The rubber rails act as the bumpers into the holes. the silver guard you have around them needs to stop at the wood. Also the holes seem to extend past the rails on the table. They usually stop even or a tad before the rails. Also you need to angle your corner holes because currently they're pretty narrow compared to the balls.

Also madartist I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you mean by seam on the rails, but they're a seperate peice of the table and have their own peice of felt from the table. Gabbaii does seem to have some harsh shading here, but it could be toned down some.

Hope that helps.