Home General Discussion

I heard you like softdrinks? [Sonys new plan]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
So we decided to stop your game and advertise them while your playing your game.

"You can't count on a publisher to be original or inventive when it comes to our entertainment, but they always seem brilliantly innovative when it comes to selling us more crap. Sony is today's bright little star, having patented a way to inject commercial breaks into your play sessions. "

Destructoid for the full article.

Can't see the justification for this, I mean what possible way could you tell however million people that the console you paid x for and new £55 game you paid for will now have ad breaks in it?

Anyone know anything about this?

*derp moment, the thread title was meant to be~ I heard you liked Adverts?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't mind billboards in game advertising real things, I don't mind product placement, I don't mind servers hosted or sponsored by messages with a little ad, I could live with ads during loading screens. But if you are stopping the game to play the ad, I'm returning the game.

Personally I hate all the ads in the 360 dashboard, I wish you could turn those off.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I absolutely HATE when it happens when I'm watching a movie on TV. "You can use the oppotunity to go to the toilet or get a snack!"...FUCK YOU! I don't need to take a piss 8 times in a 2 hours movie.

They had some adware in one of the battlefield games, I returned it right away when I discovered that, and if they try to pull that stunt in any games, that's 100% no sale for me, on the line with DRM bullshit.

Reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy", where they had huge screens but 80% of it was commercials, with a little field in the middle with the content.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    If you're a c*nt with wanton contempt for the human race, there's a 99% chance you work in marketing.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before everyone overreacts, it might be useful for stuff like Free-2-Play games where you can choose to have the ads and play for free, or pony up a few bucks and not have to look at them.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    true, I would like to see more F2p games keep F2p without weird content in order to win against other player.

I think Ad would be developer and publisher choice. not sony, sony just facilitate them.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    If you're a c*nt with wanton contempt for the human race, there's a 99% chance you work in marketing.

That's me, that's me!

The marketing part, I mean. Yeah.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I want to paddle them cunts so hard, till their buttocks are fiery red and they cannot sit on anything other then the softest and coolest geese feathers out there.

I mean c'mon! Everytime the game doesn't sell, they blame 'everyone', and when their 'DRM' doesn't work, they blame people for being naive, yet here we are, them having the best minds come up with the stupidest ideas...irony much?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Irony... sponsored by Dr.Pepper! What's the worst that could happen!

225px-Dr_Pepper_modern.svg.png

(This post brought to you by Pizza Hut... try the new sausage crust base!)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    new £55 game you paid for will now have ad breaks in it

Except that that's not going to happen.

It'll be for free games, not paid ones. Have all games be free but ad-based, so you can try them like a demo (this seems to be the most used reason to justify piracy) and then if you like it - you buy it to get rid of the ads. Something along those lines.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Uhhhh, they already do this with A LOT of iphone games... Like snader said though, once you buy it, they (usually) go away.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anything using this will crash and burn, that would be like putting ad's in a movie
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indie games do this all the time. Ads in the free version, ad free once you pay.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    what if having ads at non-important points during the game meant the game was sold for cheaper?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    idiocracy_3.jpg
    you know where this is going...
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the Sobe machine in Munch's Oddysee. it was just sitting there in a level, totally out of place, and it gave you a fun power-up. I even bought some Sobe later :)

I don't like this.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I like Rockstars ads of real things but with a twist on them. I mean you know Sprunk is Sprite when you see it in game but it gels with the world, dosnt break the immersion factor and gives more credence to the game world as real life has ads for shit in them, so should games.

But even if it was Pepsi or Coke ad I wouldn't mind it as much as a commercial I am forced to watch.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    * was a "thank you for sharing" bot above this post *

Ah Speaking of marketing ^^

Bloody spambot.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQmEd_UeeIk"]Avril Lavigne - What The Hell - YouTube[/ame] Sony loves a bit of product placement..! (Dont worry you only have to put up with the music for a bit to see :P )
  • Benton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pay for TV, just like millions of other people. I pay $60 a month for TV and every hour I have to watch 20 mins of commercials. I get it for the sports. buy still, 1/3 of your time watching TV is commercials. WTF! I pay good money to watch TV and I have to waste a third of my time watching sex sells/stupid/weird/dumb commercials! I pay $60 frigging dollars for commercials?! So yeah, this happened with TV so I don't see how this can't happen with video games. When it does, I am sticking to the small indie games where the developer is not trying to soak us for all we got.

I fricking hate Sony anyway. They seen like a bunch of money hungry rich business men.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Benton wrote: »
    I fricking hate Sony anyway. They seen like a bunch of money hungry rich business men.

Oh god, yes, those greedy bastards at sony, fortunatly all the others publishers are saints that are there to give you free entertainment just because of your pretty eyes.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I literally cannot watch tv any more, its fucking rediculous. 3-5 mins of show followed by 3-4 mins of ads. there is no way im supporting cable network fucks. no wonder they hate netflix for stealing a ton of their business.

The amount of advertising bombardment is getting insane. anything that starts out good eventually gets ruined by ads. gametrailers and ign, the same fucking call of duty ad before every video, youtube, stupid ads before most videos. even grooveshark which i used to love, now before starting listening you have to watch an ad. literally makes me despise the site/product and whatever is being advertised I add to my never buy list of bullshit.

the second I am interrupted from playing the game I spent 60 bucks on to be brainwashed for useless shit i dont need is the second i take that product/console and thrown it out the window, because you just know if sony succeds with it, itll follow to every other game/console out there.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you're all probably exaggerating to make a point about TV, but are you actually watching live TV? Most cable companies have DVRs and if they don't you can get a TiVo unit for not too much money. I haven't watched a commercial in years.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I really don't like this... not a commercial that really interrupts the game. I don't mind it in like Fight Night with BK commercial incorporated into the game.

Now... would this help prevent games from causing major studios to shut if the flop?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The amount of advertising bombardment is getting insane. anything that starts out good eventually gets ruined by ads. gametrailers and ign, the same fucking call of duty ad before every video, youtube, stupid ads before most videos.

In China we have ads while we take the taxi to work (with audio and video), while we wait for the elevator at work (with audio and video) and finally inside the elevator (also with audio and video).
    So yeah, damn those ads! (only good thing is they're in Chinese and I don't understand a thing).

I wouldn't play a game with ad breaks. Unless the ads appear when I press the pause button , like when I press ESC in Diablo 3. I wouldn't mind then. But for that the gamer bette not cost 60 bucks! (although I bet they will)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Purple Cow

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBIVlM435Zg"]Seth Godin: Sliced bread and other marketing delights - YouTube[/ame]

Seth godin is smart.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    For a long time I've never been bothered with ingame adverts but recently this pop up message kept appearing in Dragon's Dogma telling me to buy the DLC to get extra features. Really took me out of the immersion.
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's too many unknowns here, but I can say for certain that if video games become like tv I'll no longer call myself a gamer.

If I want a product, I'll seek it out. Otherwise, leave me alone.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    wow how more money hungry could you get? fuck this. This can't stick, if it does... it's because people suck.