Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need spaceship help - panel lines?

polygon
I'm modeling this ship for a contest;

front1.jpg

rear1.jpg

and I want these details...

ForDrawing.jpg

How should I do this to create the normal map? Booleans? Lots and lots of edge slices? Model each panel as a separate piece and suspend it above the surface below? Draw it on in something like Sculptris?

Replies

• Mr.Mint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As the panel-borders have no impact on the shape I would say normal-maps by floating geometry
    is the way.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    All those panels could be done in photoshop really easily. Lay out your UVs, save them, open them in PS and basically just draw black and white lines where you want the panels (black is down, white is up) and then just convert it to a normal map. You could also model those in, but judging by the shape, the wouldn't be necessary.

edit: Love the design of the ship btw
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Ndo2 is awesome for this! Very fast too.
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Thanks for the help. :) I've decided to stop modeling and go straight to texturing. I need the practice.

UV_Wrapped.jpg

UV_Map.jpg

EDIT: Some tests with ndo2. Definitely missing a lot, any advice would be appreciated.

ndo2.jpg
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    I put the ship down for awhile and now this is how it looks. Thoughts? I'm using ndo2, I love it! :)

WIP-2.jpg

WIP2.jpg

Does anyone know any quicker ways to draw panel lines, and any procedural ways to scuff them up, especially around the edges? I'm drawing it all by hand using the pencil tool, and would appreciate any faster methods.
  • GKWill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh nice! Ironically I've got to create a space ship/drop ship for a uni assignment and am going to be doing the exact same kinds of things that you are doing right now XD. Modelling, nDo2 and everything!

A faster way would just be to use the line tool and shape tool in photoshop. Just draw in the lines, you can copy paste. With the shapes, once they're in place, just select them, rasterize, then contract the selection to about the same width as the lines and just delete :).

Then let nDo work it's magic and voila! Easy panels! That's what I'm going to do at least :)

Plus the floating geometry to bake a normal map from is also a great idea! I'm going to be doing that too XD

But your ship is coming along epicly! Well done :D
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Yea that's what I ended up doing, for a lot of it, and thank you! :) I just finished, here it is with spec, normal, diffuse, and glow. :)

InEditorShot.jpg

Render3.jpg

Render2.jpg

Render1.jpg

Render4.jpg

Final polycount was 5,724. Tools used were Photoshop, modo 601, and the ndo02 trial. I don't know what's up with the seam in the last picture, it only shows at render time.

Here's two beauty renders, I can't decide between them, though I'm leaning towards the second.

ScenicRender2.jpg

ScenicRender.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It helps to render/generate a few special "edgemask" passes (there's photoshop filters/actions for this, or you ca render them for your model as well). You can then use these to apply some sort of generic chipped tiling texture that only appears at these edges. You should actually be able to get this to look acceptable almost entirely with generated textures and very minor brushing.

Your renders, to be honest, are really terribly framed. There's no focus, the aspect is strange and worst of all, your cropping parts of your ship out (NEVER do that). Also your lighting doesn't work at all: it doesn't match the BG and doesn't bring out the ship at all. Space is really easy for lighting: you've got so much more freedom...
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Cool ship!
    Not much seems to be going on with the spec though, it all feels kinda plastic, with no differences between different material types.
    In the beauty shots the orange really seems to pop out too much (or rather, the rest of the hull is too dark), seems kind of weird.
    Last thing, the small emissive lights seem kind of randomly spread and colored, maybe it would be nice to have a bit more coherence and overall composition to their placement and colors.

EDIT : yeah as Xoliul said, baking out some curvature map or something would probably help to create a nice specular map, to make some edges pop a bit more etc.
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Sweet, thanks for the breakdown on the renders Xoliul. I disagree with cutting part of the ship out of the frame (I feel that it creates more mystery, as in, the entire vessel is unrevealed to the viewer), but I agree that the renders have many issues. I was so happy I finished that I threw them together instead of waiting until I had gotten some sleep.

Could you explain how to do the edgemask passes?

EDIT: Bal;

Thanks!

Yea, the spec I had issues with. After hand-drawing all the panels, I decided to add a glow around them on a separate layer, then flatten that and use that feathered radius to act as a specularity ramp; the idea being a quick way to do the paint chips and highlights around the edge of the panels. Is there a way to do specularity better, procedurally? I admit I'm not great at spec maps (or most maps to be honest haha).

As for the emissive lights, they match up with hull geometry; all the RCS thrusters have four yellow lights around them, airlock doors all have at least one window, and various repeated hull panels have repeated lighting schemes (i.e. there's some ovular shaped panels that always have four green lights around them).
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    nice model but i agree with Xoliul, you're renders are very bad. In space there arent shadows like you have in your render.
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Alright, I'll redo them when I have more sleep. Aren't shadows pitch-black in space?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They might be irl, but that doesn't mean that looks the best. You still want quite a bit of contrast, but pitch-black shadows almost never look good.
    I did something like this a while ago, you can see it here: http://www.laurenscorijn.com/portfolio/gz81. Note how i picked complimentary colors (green and red) and have these return everywhere. The ship as well is mainly greyscale tones and red/orange.

The color thing actually goes for your lights as well: don't try and use the entire color spectrum! Pick up to 3 colors (and for the love of god not Red green blue or red yellow blue) that match each other nicely. It's better to stick with 2 main ones, 3 is much harder to balance. I like the orange you have going on, but then going for sooo many different light colors is not a good idea imo. Pick one other color, perhaps blue, as this complements the orange nicely, and use that. (you can keep the white lights ofc, those are neutral).

Try and do the same for your skybox btw: right now it's really busy and noisy. try this: http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape You'll have full control over colors with that, it's really nice (I used it for my space scene as wel)

And I'm really gonna have to disagree with the framing. I know you can cut parts off, but that would be for closeups, where you're focusing on part of the ship. Right now it just looks really sloppy, especially with all those black debris chunks that are all over the place, leading to zero focus. You're also picking these really weird, disorientating camera angles. Even if it's zero-G and you want pictures to look real, you want to take them as a photographer, not as some tourist who shot them with his cellphone camera ;)
    If you want some inspiration on framing/composition for vehicles/planes: http://www.airliners.net/
    They have VERY strict submission guidelines, bad pictures never get in, composition always has to be perfect.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Dunno if it's been mentioned but you could also model and bake all details, panels etc separately and then just piece everything together in PS. Will work well if your uv's are well unfolded.

As for the current look I think it's way too noisy. You got your main shapes and then tiny details all over it. I'd say simplify the large surfaces to give the eyes some resting area and put the smaller details on focal areas.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Xoliul has pretty much said everything I was thinking. He's got very good points
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    The critiques are really helping (well, I hope, I guess it's for you guys to decide if I'm actually improving or not). I adjusted the color scheme so that the lights are now orange/yellow/blue/white, and added more detail to the diffuse and spec maps. Btw, thanks for that app Xoliul, I had SO much trouble finding a decent starmap background.

Here are some new renders and a shot of the diffuse and spec maps. What say ye?

NewRender1.jpg

NewRender2.jpg

SolarSailer.jpg

Spec.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's better already, but still a long ways to go.

Like someone said before, your texture is all small scale, has a few medium scale details, but nothing really large scale. Try and make the color scheme/pattern a bit larger and more interesting, use some blue paint as well. The Homeworld conceptart is excellent ref for this. If you're gonna do a slightly colorful spaceship, it really helps to invest a ton of time into it.

Actually I made an entire PPT on that spaceship, just go read it: http://www.scribd.com/doc/69482451/GZ81-Naganata

Also your specular and gloss are WAY off. you want the spec to be quite subtle, and have some strong glossmap variation in there as well.

Anyway, i like the shape of your ship, try to get your texture to live up to it :)
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    I just want to say thanks for all your help Xoliul, your critiques are really pushing me to do better. :) I tried putting blue in but I just couldn't get it. I read your powerpoint (well, looked at it, all the words are gone for some reason :\).

Here's the new spec and some new renders. I think I'm pretty close now. I also added some large blocks of color and colored panels (the latter mimicking some of what Homeworld does), to create large shapes that will read well at a distance.

I think I'm pretty close to done now, but I want to hear what you think. I wasn't quite sure what a gloss map does, so I did some reading; it seems like I can use the spec map for both spec and gloss? I put highlights at the apex of radiuses and then gradiated outwards from that highlight.

SolarSailer_Spec.jpg

BottomRender.jpg

BottomFrontRender.jpg

BackRender.jpg

Farshot.jpg

And then a far shot to see how well it reads.

VeryFarshot.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looks pretty good, but needs more grunge.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, the site screwed it up or something. I thought I lost the file, but here's an old backup:
    http://www.laurenscorijn.com/dump/GZ81%20Naganata.pptx
    It's much more useful with the words :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Holy crap Xoliul, that ppt is great reference. Thank you for that.
  • Ghostman511
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty sweet! come a long way! You should try adding a low opacity noise layer in PS to your spec map. It creates a nice metallic feel to the material
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel wrote: »
    Holy crap Xoliul, that ppt is great reference. Thank you for that.

np, you're welcome. I should probably convert it to html form on my website some day...
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the design so far! I do have a few questions.

When building/ unwrapping did you happen to use a mirror modifier? This will cut your texture sheet by half!
    Also I feel like your spec could use a bit more edge highlights, and a tone down ( just a bit) of the over all spec. The grooves between your panels kind of blend into the panels them selves. This is because the normal map could be a bit sharper for panel edges as well as darkening the grooves in the diffuse.

Other than that Its looking awesome! Keep it up!