Home Technical Talk

UDK is extremely laggy (both March 2012 and Feb 2012 Releases!)

Every time I open up UDK to try and learn how to use it, it begins to lag really hard and my computer starts to hang for a second, every second. Basically my mouse jumps around and everything is extremely choppy and slow. UDK only takes up 25% of my processing power, but it still seems to lag!

Here are my system specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE (3.2 Ghz)
Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD-EVO
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz G.Skill Eco Ram
Hard Drives: x1 500GB; x2 1TB HDD's (Seagate Barracudas)
Video Card: Sapphire AMD HD Radeon 6950 2GB (Dirt 2 Edition)

If there is a fix, please let me know, otherwise please tell me what release of UDK is the most stable and has the most features. Thanks!

Replies

• Ongaku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ongaku polycounter lvl 8
    I'm new with UDK too and this tip is only something that could ease but not fix your problem completly. For perfomance boost at least it worked for me, turn off the autosave function, on the lower right corner there is a checkbox next to a disk. I was having a lot of freezes due to this, hope it helps.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    You have a quad core, so 25% is a full CPU core.
    The only possible problem source I see there is your graphics card, if your drivers aren't up to date, update them.
    Also make sure you're not on some power saving scheme either in your ATi/AMD properties or the Windows Power settings.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    You have a quad core, so 25% is a full CPU core.
    The only possible problem source I see there is your graphics card, if your drivers aren't up to date, update them.
    Also make sure you're not on some power saving scheme either in your ATi/AMD properties or the Windows Power settings.

It was just my graphical drivers!

Thanks so much for the help man, I appreciate it :D