Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Solve the problem of my portfolio

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Di$array polycounter lvl 5
Well, after another wave of knock backs on the job front. I'm starting to wonder what my portfolio is missing or more importantly what it needs. So I call upon you my dear Polycounters. Please Solve the mystery problem of my portfolio and become an honorary member of the Scooby Gang*.

http://conceptualuk.carbonmade.com/

250px-Scooby-gang-1969.jpg
* Not really sadly. But we can pretend right?

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    First thing I noticed are the wrinkles on the Batwoman's clothing. They don't look natural :(
    Also, her face could be better. I honestly think it's just the texture you're using for the skin. It's just boring looking.

You're really good though, so the reason you're not getting a job could be simply because it's so freaking hard to get one in this industry, especially for a character artist (where you need to be in the top 5%)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Can you put your characters in a vertical position instead of this? I have to rotate my head like mad to see what I'm clicking :poly124:
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Your resume would be a big turn off to companies. I would leave the "art work" for your portfolio. Putting that pattern on the background and your character on your resume just makes it look unprofessional. If your work is good, they will look at your resume. Making your resume flashy doesn't mean that your work is good.

I think Selaznog nailed it with your batman character. Her clothing and face need reworking. Use reference as much as you possibly can.

One thing i would try to do is not model your own concepts for now. Since you're just starting out and execution is something you need to focus on, adding design flaws to your work only makes it look worse. Find a concept from a concept artist who have years of design experience and model their characters instead of your own. Just for now, until you really nail down the workflow/quality.

Keep at it though you are definitely on the right track.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I think your on the right track. Just need more high quality game content. I don't have the best portfolio by any means, but here is what I see.

Going page by page starting with the misc page. The warehouse 13 object is extremely simple. Really not something that would set you apart from the crowd. And your darksiders entry image is very small, the head of the mace isn't very well defined in the image.

Your sculpts page look more like studies instead of finished work. Plus they are high poly, not game art. Because of this they look unfinished and I don't feel like I'm getting a good sense of you giving 100%. I think this page hurts you the most.

Which leaves two finished characters. Those have already been commented on above, and I share the same feelings.

Overall I think your on the right track. Technically everything looks good. Nice poly layout, good UV's, and materials. I think if you took the advice from everyone above and made a couple more characters you'd have a much srtonger portfolio. Your really close to being there man, you've got talent.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Like wester said said your resume is bad. No one is going to bother printing that thing out because its a waste of ink. Keep your resume simple, professional, and clean. Your portfolio is what you use to show off your design and art skills, not your resume.

As for your work, you lack a wow factor. Your work is good, maybe a few pieces could use a little polish, but nothing really grabs my attention. Do some searching on the net for a really really cool character concept and try to do that.
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with what others said. I am not a character artist but if female batman is your latest work you are getting better. Just keep sculpting characters and applying for jobs. It's not easy to get a character gig because everyone wants to do it. You have the talent just keep PRACTICING GO GO GO!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    white background
    sideways thumbnails
    crazy wtf hard to read fonts and background on lovecraft thing
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    All the above comments are extremely valid, to add to the topic.

- You really need to ditch your resume format, K.I.S.S applies greatly here since it's used for quick reference, right now it reads like an essay and it will definitely annoy employers looking for quick info like your schooling for example.

- Your Personal Statement? That's for the cover letter.

- Aside from that, ditch all your W.I.P high poly works, one bad piece can send your stuff to the bin (and yes I've seen it happen way too often).

Getting a character artist position is extremely tough... especially right now, so you need to show your absolute best 'finished' (*key*) pieces. Maybe even learn UDK and drop your characters into an environment, it's not only a nice way to present your work, but show employers you're willing to learn an industry standard. Example http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc-user-gallery.php?uid=333660

Keep at it man, don't get discouraged.

~t
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog, ParoXum, Wester, Skylebones, Bardler, Looprix, Racer445 and lildragn cheers for the outstanding feedback and kind honest words. I’ll keep chipping away till the end.

As for what you guys have said, I can honestly say I hear you loud and clear. I’ve already made my amendments to my CV/Resume and I’ve also changed the background colour to the site and I’ll make new thumbs when I’m back on my machine.

As for reworking the Batwoman, I think I’ll just leave her as she is and move forward using what I’ve learned and apply to my new project or what I’ve come to calling my “wow factor project”. I found a selection of existing character concepts which I have whittled down to one that I think would be a great addition and a challenge for my first new piece. At the moment I’ve contacted the artist and I’m just waiting for a reply with his consent before I begin. But in the mean time I think I’ll rework/polish my sculpts and create low polys from them.

Once again, Thank you.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    No problem, I can really see you improving! You should make a WIP thread for your wow factor character when you start it :P
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    ^ Agreed! Looking forward to that thread ;)

~t
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you bet I will. Cannot wait to get started.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Keep making new characters. Eventually you will be ready to replace the ones on the portfolio you have now with even better ones.

You're stuff shows a lot of promise, just keep at it and soon your time will come :)