Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cafe Noir Moon

Low
Working on an environment from a Pene Menn's concept.

aIl7R.jpg

Here it is. As you can notice I took some liberty in design. Obviously it's not near from finish. I would like to low-poly/texture it and finally learn UDK to put the environment into the engine.

Got any hints, tips, design ideas, critics? Go ahead then.

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awww, before I looked at your ref I thought you were doing the Diner from Spaceballs :(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1exCwGiY0"]Dancing Alien - YouTube[/ame]
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    bxbQN.jpg

Sorry to disapoint Scudz.
    Slowly pulling my stuff up. Now featuring floating TVs. I'm not sure about the direction TVs took, very vintage maybe too much. I was thinking about a more techy support to clash the design of the TVs.

I would appreciate critics and tips if you guys have any.
  • vreza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vreza polycounter lvl 12
    how much modularity are u planning this piece to be made out of?
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Cool project! you're off to a really good start.

I mean no disrespect to the concept artist, but I did a quick paintover of his concept. I didn't like how blocky the whole scene felt and felt it could do with more round shapes. Making the bar and the light fixtures up at the top rounded out at the corners. Anyway, take or leave it!

Keep it up!

paintover.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Rounded corners for the win! :D More polys for the people!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    One heck of a paintover if I may say.
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Paintover works really well. The rounded corners gives an ergonomic feel - don't want the punters to rip their jackets on those sharp corners!
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    @vreza
    Well, I'm honestly not at this level of skills right now. Modularity is not anchor in my mind when I set my models/textures. It's not something that is natural for me yet.

@Keen
    You're totally on a right track with that paintover. Feels more diner-like too. I must admit I didnt really observe the concept and try to push it.
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    So I've worked a little on the project. I had a lot of times since I broke my foot but didn't had the morale of working on 3D. I (well my girlfriend) has a new Boston Terrier pup that is taking a lot of care. I just restarted working on it after many attempts.

rITFp.jpg?1

I'm totally blocked on what to do for the TV screens that will be hanging.

As you can see I tried and applied Keen's suggestions for rounder corners.

I'm still asking myself if this is a good project to start learning UDK or is it too big. I have another project for UDK a smaller one, a large corporation headmaster office with a design taste sets in near future. I'm thinking about UDK because what you don't see on the AO render is that I've messed a lot with lighting and I can't really get what I'm aiming for in Mental Ray (of course since I want a real-time look :S)