Home Unreal Engine

World UV Scale.

passerby
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
passerby polycounter lvl 12
hello im working on a blend texture for a special effect.

this texture blends over multiple props in the scene, and i am having problems with different props having slightly different texel densities.

so im wondering if there is a way to have the blend textures UV scale in all the materials that use it the same, by maybe using world coordinates?

im able to get the effect i want of flat horzontal surfaces, but just taking a world position node, removing the blue(z-channel) and multiplying it by a small value, and using that for my uv's.

but the problem is when i get to walls, depending on there facing i need yz, or yz of the world position node. than i got no dam clue what to do with no flat surfaces like props.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can get a 3d world uv by combining xy derived coordinates with yz or xz. Usually I've seen it done by masking with a dot product.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    You can get a 3d world uv by combining xy derived coordinates with yz or xz. Usually I've seen it done by masking with a dot product.

ya i managed to figure it out, though instead of a dot product for my mask, i just did a vector transform, on 0,0,1, masked out the red channel, than copied and masked out the blue, than did a abs on both of them.

works pretty good, i just had to make some adjustments to my mask to make it blend better on rounded surfaces, and my blend material is organic enough, that i can get away with small amounts of distortion.