Home General Discussion

3DSMAX subscription

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if it is worth spending an additional $800 for a 3dsmax subscription? It allows me to upgrade free to future versions but I've been thinking that even if Max costed $800 overall. I can't see myself buying a new version every year. But I gotta pay that yearly just to get the latest version.

I dunno, what do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're on subscription at work and we are allowed to install it at home so we can work from either place. Even having a legit copy available to me at home I haven't been in a rush to upgrade.

At work we normally wait until the first service pack comes out and all of the plug-ins we use have been updated before we roll out a new version. With 2013, the improvements are pretty light and we really aren't that impressed. If they do it again with 2014 we will probably go off subscription.

As for the extras you get early because of subscription, well... they get rolled into the next version and by the time we upgrade the next version is normally a few months away so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to wait if it was something we really needed, which it normally isn't...

I do like having access to the latest version of max but if I was paying for it I would probably still be using 2009 with a lot of scripts.
  • apocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apocalypse polycounter lvl 18
    That's what I was thinking, Mark. I am buying it for myself as a freelancer and it is an extreme amount of money. (Could upgrade my PC 2 times over).

I like the idea of getting the latest version of Max next year. But I haven't even began to touch the new features from 2010 yet. If anything I turned the ribbon menu off because it was in the way.

I can't see myself paying another subscription fee next year. I was thinking of using that $800 and putting it towards Zbrush unless someone thought of a reason to change my mind about it all.