Home Unreal Engine

Can't find missing packages in UDK, missing nodes and other tickytackies

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/7114801515_d526a68d0e_b.jpg

1.)*see pic above*I'm rather new to UDK, but not once have I opened a file of my scene and everything is where I left it. I used to get this error as seen in the link above, and continually get errors when trying to save, that there were files outside the package. So I Googled and searched if other people had this problem and concluded I needed to move my files into the Content folder. So I did that and started the whole file over just to be safe. And the errors when I saved were no more. Now all my meshes/package/material info are gone, all that remains is my lighting.

2.) Today, I open the file and it says it hasn't had a saved file since 21 hours ago, which is BS, I must have saved at least 20 times since then. And in that "last save" I had all the meshes and materials in place.

3.) For a day or so in my shader menu everything is fine. I've connected all the materials. Then later through my progress, say I want to throw in a Multiply and a Constant, the nodes on any new shaders additions were nonexistent. Multiply is just a box with no input/output.

4.) Also in the shader menu to the left, any unused options like Normal/Diffuse/Spec etc were no longer on the list at all if I didn't use them in the first place. How do I get them back on the list?

5.) As incredibly 101 as it is, my normal maps aren't working either. Yay! I'm working in Max 2011, baked with XNormal (which is new for me also),the normals don't work in UDK before and after flipping the green channels. I import them as uncompressednormals or something like that, bring them into the shader menu, plug into Normal slot.

I'm still experimenting on the normal map issue, but the above issues I have no idea and have wasted a lot of time trying to figure out. I've done this scene 3 times now.

If anyone wants to play a tiny violin my second monitor that I just bought just died too. I blame UDK xD *oooh lolz*

I would be so incredibly grateful for any insight there might be to this!! I'll be back tomorrow, I need to call it a night.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    For the scene issue, you need to have your package loaded/open before you load your scene. So use your Generic Browser to load the package (.UPK) then open your Scene (.UDK). UDK has this nasty habit where it will open stuff based upon alphabetical order and load the stuff like that. Unless I misunderstood, that's usually the issue with broken packages.

I never got this message of "Not saved X hours ago", are you sure it was UDK? Unless you mean the 'Paths' Checkup which UDK does weekly?

How long was UDK open back then? Anything above 6 hours will start breaking down the program, you will need a good restart of UDK to get it back to working conditions I found out.

That's weird, again same reason as above, but if you honestly can't get them back, I suggest starting a new material and copy pasting everything from there.

What do your Normals look like? Both Map wise and ingame wise? They will have problems standing out if you don't have a specular to test it out usually.

Also, try importing them as NormalMapCompressed, just for testing.

For the Monitor, bring a Volt-Tester and try seeing if the there is any power coursing through the respective slots, who knows, maybe it's as simple as jiggling the cables or replacing just the slots.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    For the scene issue, you need to have your package loaded/open before you load your scene. So use your Generic Browser to load the package (.UPK) then open your Scene (.UDK). UDK has this nasty habit where it will open stuff based upon alphabetical order and load the stuff like that. Unless I misunderstood, that's usually the issue with broken packages.

You shouldn't ever need to do this. I'd make sure that there is a package with that name in the content folder. Look for the UPK in explorer to double check. Your packages must be saved in the content folder or a subdirectory of it.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK was giving me error messages about how things were pathed outside of my package, say I used a material on my desktop, and that if I were to save the paths would be broken, something like that. I had UDK open a long while because everytime I close the damn thing my meshes went missing like in the picture above and I was trying to figure out why.

The UPK files are definitely in the Content folder...

I just hope all my work is salvage-able.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Mind posting an image on what the packages/scenes look like? Outlines and stuff?

Also, did your rename anything after the work?
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing renamed is that I like to save in iterations.

I'm sorry to be so noob about it but can you be more specific of what you want me to screengrab? There's nothing to show from Content Browser really because it just went all AWOL besides the lighting.

If you have an IM we could message there to avoid bumping this post constantly..
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I found the package issue! So it's grayed out in the Packages area of the Content Browser, and when I click on it, pop up says "Nothing to show, check your filter" something like that. If you right click and hit Fully Load it loaded up my materials. I need to figure out why the meshes aren't in scene but that's easy compared to tweaking all the shaders from scratch.

There's a button in the shaders menu that looks like a skull that cleans unused expressions. I don't recall ever hitting that so basically I'm trying to reverse its effect.