Home Technical Talk

Making 3Ds Max Faster

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
Hi there.
So basically, I have a mega computer, but for some reason, 3Ds Max is still having frame rate issues. Especially when I apply a UVW modifier. So basically when I apply a UVW, 3ds max freezes for like 15 seconds, then I can start working on my UV. It also lags like crazy when editing UVs. The object I'm editing, is only 5,000 polygons.
So is there a way to increase the speed of update time and response from 3Ds max?

I'm using Max 2012 64bit
My system specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz 3.33 GHz
24GBs of Ram
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate
6 TBs of HDD space

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, there's always one way : 3DSMax 2009 on XP64. I'm actually not kidding - this is the fastest I ever experienced. If you have access to it I would recommend you to try it. It's bit slower under 7 (some minor interface issues.)

Sorry, can't help much with 2012.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason I'm with Max 2012 is because of the improvements of the UV tool set, so I don't exactly want to downgrade :/
    Thing is, I watch live videos of people using max, and everything works like a million miles an hour for them. When I bought my computer, I thought it would finally keep up with me, but no :(
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    pior wrote: »
    Well, there's always one way : 3DSMax 2009 on XP64. I'm actually not kidding - this is the fastest I ever experienced. If you have access to it I would recommend you to try it. It's bit slower under 7 (some minor interface issues.)

Sorry, can't help much with 2012.

IDK, what about the viewport perf with tons of turbosmooth? Faster than Nitrous?
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its just laggy when I try to edit UV's. Really frustrating when trying to place them in the right location... uvs.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    export the object out as an obj and import into a new scene, see if you still have performance issues? do you have the same problems with a cube?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have all the service packs installed? They fixed most of my issues with the UV editor.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    May want to turn off realtime Uv display or something like that. It's under the UV window's Options Window. Should be a check box. It helped mine, I'm unable to see my texture move realtime to my UVs but it's not a big deal.
  • 2cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    Have you tried changing display drivers in Max? My PC isn't nearly as beastly as yours but it runs pretty well even with 1m~ poly's and also when using UVW Modifiers.. I'm using Nitrous right now, I have no idea what's best though.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @2cat: I tried nitrous, no change really.
    @Sean: I believe I got the service packs, but is there a way to make sure?
    @Butthair: I never had it on in the first place :/
    @ZacD: I don't have issues with a cube. I tried to export to a new scene, seems like I'm still having lag.

Really, I just want to improve the performance of Max. It seems like I see people having instant results, where I am having low framerate/computing power.
    I just feel like my 3DS Max is slower than other peoples. When really, I have this beast computer, that should work really well.
    Anyway, I tried to apply the Nvidia 3ds max driver, but it doesn't support 2012 because of nitrous or something like that.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    what kind of graphics card?

also, fwiw xp64 was a dog once you started needing more than 4gb of RAM. Vista was better under that sort of load.

nm, you said nividia

deffo check service pack -just look in help>about, it'll tell you what you've got installed there.

I've had no problem on a similar box with much less memory. if you're fully up to date service pack wise, I'd start looking at alternative driver versions and at other stuff you have installed
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    We all still have lag here at VCS with Max 12 and the uvunwrap. I get slow down in both opening and closing the modifier. I have the latest drivers and the latest service pack. It totally blows. We've all been complaining ever since we upgraded, and so far we haven't figure out a fix.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason I'm with Max 2012 is because of the improvements of the UV tool set

So while it may not be what you're asking for, I still thought I'd butt in and: http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

Should work for max 2009 just fine and bring it up to date :)
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a Nvidia GTX 590.
    I have a shipload of plugins, and it would take me a few days to downgrade. Idk if I want to do that though.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    BenHenry wrote: »
    I have a shipload of plugins, and it would take me a few days to downgrade. Idk if I want to do that though.
    Plugins eat resources...
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17

Bam, the issue rears it's head.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    No, I don't think that's it. My unwrap editor was slow as soon as I installed Max 2012 and was just messing around with it. I had wondered if it was something that had changed with our engine and it's relation to texture display, etc., but it happens to me at home too.
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16
    I just love Autodesk!

They are totally brain dead,Or the customers may be!
    They release a new version less then once a year and they just push out (What they say) an modern 3d package with NEW HOT STUFF. But they dont care about the shitty code from the previous releases which the newer versions are based on!

The 2012 was and still is a joke! And now they pushed out the 2013 .Have they fixed all bugs or do they just want the customers to open their wallet?Or is the 2013 the actual bugfix for 2012 ?

Autodesk sux! And now they have Maya in their claws to! Its just a matter of time til they destroy both Maya and Softimage to! They have proven they destroyed good old Discreet logic (3ds max) for $520 million!

Why not just fix the bugs and jump over one release? Im sure they would have to take a deeper look at that outdated core twice to!

The new features they talk about is another name for 3ds max bugs
  • Thewiruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thewiruz polycounter lvl 16

You know that 3ds max only uses one graphics core right?
    3DS Max and 99.9% other PRO CG applications are not part of these multi GPU environments and do not support more than a single GPU.

The worst thing you can do is to buy a dual gpu card and think you get 50% or more power.Actually a GTX570 is faster then that card!

you have a Ferrari with a Fiat Punto engine! And a shipload of waste dragging behind(Plugins) Thats great!

No i have no clue what the problem could be :P
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Triple check the hotfixes man, I had the same issue and the service packs and hotfixes fixed it.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did check them, I have SP2 which I believe includes all the hotfixes and old SP.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    If you're unlucky, your system config just conflicts with something. Like I could never get 3ds max 2010 running on my old PC with a gf260 with more than 8 fps, even after multiple windows + max reinstalls.

You could quickly install a fresh bare bones win 7 on an external drive, then install max and the drivers and see if it runs any different.
    This might help you to narrow down where the error lies - with your system config in general, or with your main win 7 installation.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Can you disable a core on the gpu? I used to have to do that years back on a dual core gf 6600 before driver support happened.