Home General Discussion

Intuos4 design flaw FIX

Hey everyone with an Intuos4! I'm sure by now you've realized how ridiculously fast your nibs wear down with light use, so I have a created a solution to the problem.

Many Intuos4 users have complained to Wacom about the very abrasive paper like surface that the Intuos4 tablet has, and I have found a way to polish it so that the life of your nibs increases substantially.
Wacom's FAQ about abrasive surface: http://www.wacom.com/Search-Results.aspx?s=nibs+wear

Do this at your own discretion, I am not responsible for any damages to your tablet.

***IMPORTANT***:
Please use masking tape to mask the creases around the actual tablet surface to avoid getting moisture onto the electronic parts of the tablet.

1. Get your masking tape and mask all 4 gaps around your tablet to avoid getting moisture into it. I personally masked each edge twice over to make sure that no water would seep through them.

2. Get 2 towels, one that is damp/wet, and one dry one, plus the toothpaste.

3. Apply a small amount of tooth paste into the center of the tablet's surface and begin to rub it in circular motions to polish it. Add more toothpaste when necessary.

4. When the toothpaste becomes very pasty, take the damp towel and wipe it off.

5. Use the dry towel to dry off and remove any excess toothpaste that may have been left behind.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 up to 4 times until the surface is smooth enough that you can barely hear your pen's nib sliding across it's surface.

RESULT:
wnx5a.jpg

Now, some people may actually like the rough surface because it does a great job of imitation the texture of paper with your pen, but if you'd like your nibs to last longer (esp. for digital painters + digital sculptors), use this to make your tablet more similar to an intuos3.

Please don't do this with any other model, as there is probably no need to, and because I've only tested it on the Intuos4.

Replies