Home General Discussion

Best tut site for subscription?

Tried searching for "gnomon" , "digital tutors" and "subscription" , my bad if there's already a similar thread to this but I put my 5 min in lol.

So yeah, I'm thinking it could be wise to invest at some point for a month or few months a subscription to a site or multiple sites.. Right now I'm aware of only 3 - Gnomon / Digital Tutors / 3dmotive. Am I missing any big ones? Also 3dmotive is obviously kind of small still but I would hope they plan on continuing to release new, relevant content so it should be comparable.. Right now I have free access to all the gnomon stuff but that might change later on so MAINLY I'm thinking about:

GnomonWorkshop VS Digital Tutors vs 3d motive

Pro's and cons? Both? Does one do something better than the other? Worth it to get the digitut if I already have the gnomonworkshop one and etc?

And are there any other sites that should be up for consideration? I take 3dmotive as a kind of supplementary one to either though, but again I don't know if it'd be necessary if I have one of the above that has tons and tons of videos.

Btw in case anyone is in a similar position as me, I assume people decide on getting these subscriptions fairly often.. This thread by ZacD is awesome: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93880 Really gave me a good idea of what I plan to do WITH those tuts... How to make them worth it. Good stuff.

Replies

• a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    I had always planned to just subscribe to Digital Tutors for a year, exhaust all of their tutorials, and move onto Gnomon when I was ready to start working on something more substantial.

3 Years later, I'm still with Digital Tutors, and all of the rumours I heard about them over the years are completely out of date. I'm sure they used to have a small and basic line up of tutorials that only appealed to beginners, but they've gotten to a point where they're adding some amazing and professional stuff on a monthly basis.

I greatly recommend them - BUT - I can't guarantee that they'd be perfect for everyone.

I honestly don't think you can make a wrong choice. I've attended some Gnomon master classes, and they've got some awesome tutors and cover some great stuff. At the same time, Digital Tutors has a lot of the same tutorials, it's just delivered in a different way.

I kind of feel like Gnomon has always nurtured a more creative approach to every tutorial (they make some seriously awesome stuff!), and they've been doing it for a long time, while Digital Tutors has a huge library of less creative content. Digital Tutors have started adding a lot of creative stuff though....

See! I don't think you can make the wrong choice.

If anything, I feel that Digital Tutors lacks a kind of community feeling, but the team at DT is always happy to help you. Gnomon on the other hand has a great community full of very inspirational talent.

There is one other place I greatly recommend though.

- http://wiki.polycount.com/

Out of all the resource and tutorial sites I've come across, Polycount has the most active, inspirational and helpful communities of them all. Check the forums and their wiki, and you'd be surprised to find that there is a very large volume of FREE learning material available.

Whoah, wall of text. sorry! let me summarize -

They're all good choices ^_^

Just decide on something you want to make, and find the tutorials that answer your questions, whichever site you go with.

have fun, xk0be!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, +1 for the wiki!

I added a new page for you. There are a ton of tuts spread around the wiki, but here's a list of tut sites people tend to point to.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTutorials
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    http://www.3dmotive.com/ is good but they do not have a lot of bulk and assume you know the 3d program.