Home General Discussion

Simple / Dynamic Figure Drawing

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings;

I know I have made such threads like these before and was concluded because I received alot of info from those threads and tried to implement them in my work flow. (I also understand that my work hasnt been shown here alot, nor I post alot of my work here.)

I have been meaning to get in to 3d modeling for a long time but before that, regardless of what people might think, I believe that the knowledge of creating a decent Traditional / 2d digital concept art is essential before you get in to 3d, so you would exactly know what you are doing.

The reference images we talk about every now and then, that one may use for 3d concept sculpt is what I use for 2d / Traditional drawings.

I have three tutorials by David Finch, (Head, body, hands and feet.)

He pretty much explains everything one needs to know for the traditional concept art, what he doesnt show is how that concept is implemented in to the environment or anything.

Do we write down about what sort of character he is for what sort of environment? Or Do we just make it and than make the environment according to the character that reflect it.

Also, if anyone knows any other known traditional artist or cartoonist (besides raven phoenix and David Finch,) and knows the name of the tutorials they made, please post.

Thanks.

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is a kindof weird question dude. Unless i'm misunderstanding you, you're asking how to make fundamental design decisions? How do you design a character for a subject, and how do you design the subject itself? There are a million methods, and they all take study and skill.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnflBERf2zM"]Research, study, practice, work.[/ame]
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    This is a kindof weird question dude. Unless i'm misunderstanding you, you're asking how to make fundamental design decisions? How do you design a character for a subject, and how do you design the subject itself? There are a million methods, and they all take study and skill.

Research, study, practice, work.

Yes, thats exactly what I meant, in a traditional arts mainly since I sketch on paper and rarely use Photoshop (unless I need to paint it.)

EDIT: The second part of your post is understood and it is repeatedly stated in every post relative to the concept arts. I know it comes with skills, practice and lots of research.

But what if you werent given any sort of directions, yet you are told to make a character of such and such era, without any directions given to you, nor a hint of how the environment should look like.

I know it rarely happens but it does.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    But what if you werent given any sort of directions, yet you are told to make a character of such and such era, without any directions given to you, nor a hint of how the environment should look like.

Well, as i'm sure you already know, that's called 'concept art' and it's not easy! There are very few tips and there's no magic bullet, it's mostly just persistence and time. Artists far better than myself can offer you tips though, look at your favorite artists' blogs!

I'm no expert yet, but since that's my specialization, here's what I can offer so far:

• Research methodology. The #1 thing you will need to learn is how to design, and the best source is other designers. Find concept artists you like (search sketchbook forums!), read their posts and their blogs and their websites and their notes. There's a lot to glean! Some even write awesome tutorials about this exact subject!
    • Research your subject, and be curious. Learn everything you can about culture, history, technology, weaponry, etc. Learn to love it and get curious about it! When was the last time you took a good look at the seams on your favorite pair of jeans, or the hinges on your cabinet doors?
    • Do studies! An EXCELLENT starting point is to just do studies and copies of thematically similar things. Paintings or photos from the era or about the subject. In studying and copying them your brain will pick up details and shapes you can later use when inventing.
    • Try not to use random shapes unless absolutely necessary. Think about function!
    • Iterate! Take your best drawing/design, and redraw it with a slightly better pose and a slightly better design. What you figured out already will come easily, and then you can add more insight to it.