Home General Discussion

Why Commissions can be a bad idea...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
katana polycounter lvl 14
Before switching to digital 3D, I made a living building prototype models for studios and clients. One overall thing that got to me was how long I thought something would take vs. the price that was needed. Things always go south.

I got this email the other day and yes I intentionally low-balled it as there wasn't much detail as to what the guy might want.

In my estimate, he would get a model and a rig, but we all know there is more to it. Model built, textures created, rigged, will it work in the game engine? ect...

Anyway, here's a screengrab, weigh in if you are inclined, I would be curious as to what other's think of this.

The name has been blacked out to protect the innocent.

Chris

Commissioninquiry.png

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    That's pretty typical. Most of the time, unless it's an established developer, people who message for commissions like this will only pay nothing/next to nothing.

Sad to say a lot of people will do the work for ridiculously low prices. It's hard for amateurs to get work sometimes, and there are people accepting well below minimum wage for the hours they put in.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Deviantards as usual, nothing to see here.

Also, I'm pretty sure their "I'll make it myself" post is basically "I'll go to the XNLara sites and rip some models, when infact I have no right to them".