Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] James House

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
Hello all! I am starting a new project today that I am extremely excited about! I would love to get input from all the wonderful users here at Polycount as I progress! The concept is an awesome piece by artist Andrey Eleesiv

James%252520House.jpg

Something new that I'd like to try out on this project is building a custom shader to give it a specific look. We'll see how that goes.

Also, I'd like to start out with a quick question. Would it be wise to build this with 2 Walls + Ceiling + Floor as it is in the image or would it help the lighting/bouncelighting if I made it a room with 4 walls?

-rad

www.rad-3d.com

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say to at least give it a shot with 4 walls..your going to be losing some secondary light if you don't have walls for the light to bounce off of.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had a ton of time to work on this because I took up a part time job so I could purchase a new computer and I've been getting crazy hours.

I'm basically just trying to get the structural and proportional part down right now. This is still in a hella blockout stage atm. I know the FOV is off as well. It's not much of an update, but it's something. Won't get to really sit down and knock a large chunk out till about Sunday. Check in with you guys then. Thanks for checking me out.

-rad

WIP1.png

WIP1Wires.png
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I can't wait, the concept looks great and I'd love to see what you do with it :)
  • EdibleFood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool, I can't wait to see how the lighting will look.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys so much for the encouragement, means a lot to me. I want nothing more than to sit down and bang a huge chunk of this out. If only I could freeze time -_-

..but alas, I can not. So, instead I'll do what I can till Sunday then get a HUGE amount of work done then.

@SirCalalot: I was totally drawn-in by the concept and I'm gonna try my best to re-create it!

@EdibleFood: The lighting aspect is one of the things that I'm most excited about! It will be a huge challenge, but I think that's what is really going to drive it home!
  • chakkrit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't necessarily need the other 2 walls, you could just put planes there instead for when you render. I could be wrong though. Good luck! :D
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chakkrit That's exactly how I went about it after some thought. Two "walls" that are planes with "Two sided lighting" which is great because I can see through the backfaces but I still get bounce light from the front faces. Everyone wins ^.^
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. Still planning on doing A LOT more work today, but I'll throw this up here while I take a short break. Also, Question!! Any suggestions on how to go about modeling those drapes? I was going to try and use Maya's n-cloth feature to start but I also think Z-Brush to start might be a smart idea too. Any suggestion is appreciated!

wip2.png
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip3.png

If I didn't have work at 6am I would certainly stay up and work all night. But for now I got some drapes in there with AO and Normals as well as have an AO and Normalmap on the door (instead of the higher poly from the pic before.

I'm about 95% done with the structural and then it's onto UV's and base textures for the walls, floors, and ceiling! THEN.... tons of props! I'll probably tackle those wall lamps first, followed by the table, followed by the chairs. Can't wait!

-rad
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good.
    How did you go about the drapes in the end then?
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drapes Workflow:
    Opened concept image
    Cropped one drape
    Added distortion to remove perspective
    Put it on a plane in Maya as a texture
    Added divisions to the plane and shaped out the basic shape of the drapes
    Quaded it out for import into Z-Brush
    Sculped shapes into the mesh with different brushes (Formsoft, Inflat, Clay Tubes with High falloff.
    Exported the 1 Million point mesh
    Retopo'd in 3D Coat using autopo
    Simplified the low-res mesh further using Maya's Reduce Option
    Baked out the normal map onto the simplified mesh
    Done!

Right now I'm just finishing up the UV's of the left and right wall and am going to throw very base textures on there. Then on to props!
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, basically I am done Modeling and UV'ing the walls/structures... on to props!

Also, please excuse the density of the drapes... I will be going back to optimize them a bit more later on.

I also messed with the lighting quite a bit, but it will change once I get the emissive lighting meshes in there. Overall, I am pleased with what I have so far and basically now it's down to texturing what I have and making some kick ass props! Enjoy and stay tuned!

wip4.png

wip4wires.png

-rad
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good!
    I can't wait to see some textures and props in there :)
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Small rings need less sides than large ones. The S-curve doesn't need to be 10 sided, 8 is plenty, but 6 or 7 should be fine too if the whole lamp is about 1x1x1 foot large.

rings_sides.png
    Image applies to the wallmount. The inner loops need FAR less sides than the outer ones.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes PERFECT sense, thank you thank you thank you! Optimize it further, I will!

Also, that middle piece is a separate piece all together, so that should be a sinch!
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although I don't understand, but still

like to join you.www.cleaningcassette.com
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This chair is proving to be extremely difficult, but I'm pushing through and getting it done. This is the high-poly work in progress sans legs.

hpwip.png
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Nick1 wrote: »
    Although I am not very understand, but I still

want to join you.www.cleaningcassette.com

Whats up with these generic spam bullshit going on?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Try quoting them. They all have links attached to invisible images. Apparently nowadays Polycount ranks high enough to be able to boost other sites' google-ranking, or something along those lines. Basically, the more websites link to YOUR site, the more important it's rated, and the higher it's ranked.

We should probably ban these people seeing as they all have about 30 posts, all linking to http : / / www . cleaningcassette . com

RogelioD - sorry for the tread hijack. For the chair, I suggest you try to work with more separate parts instead of 1 huge shape. Especially since those chairs, in real life, ARE multiple parts.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be putting this one to bed for a little while. While working on this I got "inception-ed" by the TV show "Ancient Aliens" to the point where I literally can't get the idea out of my head. I am a million times more excited about the new project than this current one, and will be starting work on the new one shortly. I will return to work on this one soon, since I have already sunk a good 27 hours into it and do think it could be very impressive. Until then.... the new project awaits!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, I've been guilty of the same :D

I can't wait to see what you come up with.