Home Technical Talk

Issue importing .obj from Zbrush to 3ds Max

April Schmidt
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
April Schmidt polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I'm a new user to ZBrush and have been running into an issue when trying to open up my ZBrush to 3dsMax .obj export. I searched for this particular issue in the rest of the threads, but couldn't find anything, so thought I'd post. Thanks in advance! :)

The initial issue was when I imported the .obj the object appeared completely invisible in all viewports. I thought it could be viewport settings, but those checked out. I tried swapping from mesh to poly, flipping norms, adjusting both import and export settings, and applying a scene material to the object.

Upon further investigation, it looks like all of the verts may have collapsed to 0,0,0 at import. I'm not entirely sure how that could happen or what I can do to stop that from happening.

Repro steps (Done on original object and again in a troubleshoot test object):
1) Created an edit poly object in 3ds max. Set up smoothing groups, set to mat id 1, centered and reset pivots, reset xforms, and set to 0,0.
2) Export object as a .obj to bring into ZBrush for some uprezzing and sculpted detail.
3) Import object into ZBrush. Sculpt in some detail. Decimate down to a more reasonable poly count (in a test I tried 50k). Export for import back into 3ds max.
4) Import object into 3ds Max. Object is "invisible"/all verts appear to have collapsed to 0,0.
5) Cry. =P

I'm hoping this is just a nub or silly mistake that's easily fixable! Thanks guys. :)

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen this as well but I don't think they're at 0,0,0 - they're compressed down to a unit sphere. So every vert lives in 0-1 space. It sucks but I just scale the mesh back up and it seems to fix it. Annoying though...
  • April Schmidt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. :)

I'd actually thought it might just be scaled down, as well, when I first started seeing the issue. Scaling up the object scales the bounding box, but all object attributes stay at 0,0. It's interesting because I can center the pivot to the scaled up bounding box, but when I select all verts/faces/etc the pivot moves to 0,0.

I've also tried zooming way out, zooming extents, zooming way in.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Is it just the one particular model that is doing this, any model that gets exported from zbrush (such as the default project files), or any model that goes from max to zbrush and back?
  • April Schmidt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good question, I didn't think to try exporting a native .ztl from ZBrush into 3ds Max. This issue had been on two objects I'd made; one for my actual project and the other as a troubleshooting test to see if it had just been the one object.

I just tried exporting a native .ztl as a .obj into 3ds Max and got the same problem. The tool I tried was the dog.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The next step would probably be to check what the Tools: Export and Preferences: Importexport settings are set to. Or Max's import settings even.

Do you have a place you could upload one of the exported objs?
  • unstoppablex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using GoZ tool(Go to Zbrush)? Try it if you aren't, it always works for me, plus much quicker.
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    GoZ for sure is far more efficient and from my experience my meshes have always retained their orientation and place in 3D space.
  • April Schmidt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Appreciated. :)

I actually have tried GoZ and the object goes fine between both programs, no problems. I'm still trying to figure out, though, why I can't import any .objs exported from ZBrush without having the problem.

Unfortunately no, I can't upload the .obj I'm working with. However, I did make a little panel of the issue I'm seeing for a visual reference. Maybe it is just a setting?

ImportIssues_Panel.jpg
  • April Schmidt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, and, thanks about the GoZ tip as a preference for workflow! I plan to just stick with that for, at least, the rest of this project.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Would an object import scale higher than 0.0 make any difference?
  • April Schmidt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're awesome, thanks for pointing that out. It works! =D

It looks like even an object scale of .01 causes the .obj to import to a correct size. It's interesting because if I try to import the same .obj into the scene after a successful import, and set the scale back to 0, the imports continue working even though that setting was apparently causing problems in fresh scenes. *Weird*

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks for the help! <3