Home General Discussion

First portfolio - got some questions before I start

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
It´s time for me to get my stuff together and build a portfolio.
But I got some questions before the game starts and that´s where it´s about you ^^

I´m modeling (mainly characters). I do everything needed from the highpoly (Zbrush sculpts or good old max subdiv modeling) to the realtime mesh and of course I bake the maps the get the final ingame models done.
What is this work called? Modeler? Videogame artist? Scultpor? Texture Artist? Whats the common term for the guys doing the whole workflow from high to low and textures?

For the stuff I´m doing a clean website showing my work is necessary, of course. I looked at carbonmade and I like it so far. I will upgrade my account to get the full options. I couldn´t find informatin about the image sizes for the "Big Image"- option. With an upgraded account, how big can the images actually be AND what is too big for a portfolio? Is there a maximum of pixels that should not be exceeded? What´s the average screen resolution for graphic people?

For presenting work, we need to show some breakdow with wires etc. What are the stages that should absolutely be shown and which order would you show them?
Like Zbrush highpoly (show textured/polypainted Zbrush sculpt as well or only basic Zbrush models?), realtime lowpoly withoutn any textures and then, which ones to show seperately (normals, diffuse, spec etc.?), texture sheets (combining the textures to one big is ok, right?)

The characters have to be posed, right. Does one nice pose work or is it better to have like 2 or 3? Should I show every pic (from the breakdown) posed or is there something that should be shown in a standard t-pose?

Is there any information that absolutely needs to be put on your website and what are the no gos? I know it´s about only showing the best pieces and not showing wips and old work. But are there any other hints for a newbie like me?
I have read like a thousand of portfolio interviews and I think I got the main idea behind it. But asking again here won´t hurt, right? : )

Besides the work I need to show, what should I write about myself? Or is this point not needed anyway and a CV covers everything employers need to know?

As I mentioned, carbonmade looks fair and easy to use. Are there alternatives which are as easy to use or is carbonmayde the way to go?

Anything else before I start?

Thanks so far : )

Replies

• DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
    Theres a lot of information on portfolios you can find here on the wiki http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryPortfolio.

I recommend Jon Jone's article.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Yep, have read that some days ago ; )
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    1.Character Artist

2.I wouldn't go much wider than 1000px, unless you want to include a high rez download. You can have your own website for about $30 for a year. http://holeinthewallhosting.com/ Remember you want your content to load quickly.

3.Preferably
    Base mesh
    high poly
    low poly wireframe
    low poly with norm and spec
    finished low poly and texture sheets

4.Preferably posed, T-poses aren't completely standard, the more relaxed 45 degree pose seems to be more common, but I'm not a character artist, it would mostly depend on the studio you work for. You can show everything from the posed pose.

5.Just make the site and post it here and we'll tell you what to remove

6.I wouldn't write a bio, or keep it short, I feel pictures of yourself and bios seem vain, but that's just me. You want your work to stand out, you can stand out at the interview.

7.Make your own site, html isn't hard, and like I said, it costs me $30 a year to host.

8.Just make it and post it :D
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    7.Make your own site, html isn't hard, and like I said, it costs me $30 a year to host.

Or

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91572
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks so far.
    That helps : )

I´ll start working on it these days. And yes, you guys gotta crt me then ; )

One more thing: You said Character Artist. Let´s say I got some few hard surface stuff, maybe a gun and sme props on the site as wel. Should I still call i Character artist?

For Example: 75% Characters, rest other stuff.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Most character artists that can do props just put it on the resume and leave it out of the portfolio. Or you could put all the props in one "collection of props" image. The focus should be 95% Character art, you don't want to seem unfocused or indecisive.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's also different depending on studio. I'm in the MMO industry and every studio I've worked at has the character artists doing characters & weapons.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    Most character artists that can do props just put it on the resume and leave it out of the portfolio. Or you could put all the props in one "collection of props" image. The focus should be 95% Character art, you don't want to seem unfocused or indecisive.

I made the mistake of mixing env and character stuff when applying as env artist - in the end I got hired as character artist (actually that's what I wanted to do but I didn't see an opening when I applied) ;)

Just saying, good art is good art and if it's really good I would put it on the folio regardless. The only thing you shouldn't do is padding your folio with unrelated stuff because you think more = better.

5.) it's the same as with silhouette ;) only add old work if it gives you an edge and adds something to the folio (e.g. you have some old work showing rigging skills). I'd put it in a WIP section. As folio reviewer it tells me it's not intended to be "the folio" but it still holds info for me and tells me you know about certain things and I may keep this in mind when making my hiring decision.

6.) no need to write stuff. Writing stuff is a double edged sword - if you come across as interesting it works for you. If you come across as diva/boring/generic/bland it doesn't.
    The CV isn't everything either however. Personally I'd like to seem more coverletters, so I don't have to wait till the interview to ask you "why us? ... and why you?" The coverletter are the words that go with your folio. The reason you don't put it on the website itself is because you want to tailor your words towards the person you're addressing.

p.s. if you write a bio, please don't mention your c64 and how zelda/mario/whatever made you wanna be a games artist, bla bla bla we heard the cliche story a million times before. It's almost as boring as the typical RPG bio "my parents got killed by orcs bla bla".
    If you want it to be interesting, talk about what drives you and what inspires your art right now and what your approach to art is. Although therein lies the danger of clashing with the views of whoever views your folio.
    And for the love of cheetos, don't talk of yourself in the 3rd person ever if you write a bio....
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I'm surprised base meshes are desired, I guess its good for showing a pipe line but to me it feels almost like a painter showing a blank canvas, not the best looking thing.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    How about you start posting some examples of your work ?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Fuse wrote: »
    How about you start posting some examples of your work ?

It´s not yet about my work, as the title and the starting post says. But sure I will show you very son what I got.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice tips Kwramm!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    8. When it comes to the design keep it simple, light, fast, and functional. It should be all about the art. It shouldn't take more than a few seconds to load.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Vio wrote: »
    I'm surprised base meshes are desired, I guess its good for showing a pipe line but to me it feels almost like a painter showing a blank canvas, not the best looking thing.

Its not required, but I personally like to see that stuff, a good blockout is always important when working off a concept, but I've see some amazing stuff start in dynamesh as well.