Home Technical Talk

Maya viewport 2.0 depth pass?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Anyone know how to get a depth pass out of Maya viewport 2.0, the depth render layer does not appear to be supported.

Replies

• gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't think you can. I think its intended as a replacement for current viewport and not so much as a traditional renderer that will give you passes for comping.

im speculating here but you could try to set up a play blast that renders off screen . then a depth pass in mental ray with the same resolution as the play blast and try to comp them. they might be pixel aligned. but i have never tried it before.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need depth fog, that's a pretty standard part of any real time renderer and I don't see anything in viewport 2.0 that offers this, like what the fuck. Yeah I thought about rendering depth from Maya software or mental ray, but the antialiasing will differ between the two images and when comped will create a halo.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    It seems you can get the depth pass rendered out with the Viewport 2.0 API. I havent read enough to understand it but will take a look.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/viewport_2_0_api_gold.pdf
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems you can get the depth pass rendered out with the Viewport 2.0 API. I havent read enough to understand it but will take a look.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/viewport_2_0_api_gold.pdf

thanks for the link i had not seen that. i will take a peek also.

i have no other 'good' ideas for a depth pass. but i do have perhaps a 'bad' one. i don't want to throw out bad ideas to you but it seems grim at this point. :)

maybe you could rig a view port shader that could give you a depth pass? maybe some sort of ramp node would work along with a distance from camera. i have never tried that but it might be good enough, in theory anyways...

you probably already know the view port 1.0 has depth fog. but i don't think that would help if our using using aliasing etc.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gray, yeah I thought about a viewport shader, but I don't know how to hook one up. The Maya depth shader does not render in viewport 2.0 unfortunately, but yeah if it did that would work fine.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really don't want to crack maya open at the moment. so i will go off memory. could you use a ramp and a 3d texture node? scale the 3d texture node to the size of the view volume then apply to everything in the scene. and adjust the ramp? that could be nonsense tho.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, it does support 3D textures, can't figure out how to hook up the ramp to a 3D texture though, the projection node is not supported.