Home Technical Talk

Anyone know how to extract the MW3 textures?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I'd like to take a look at their textures from the pc version I bought on steam, I've searched google and can't really find a tool to extract them.

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    bumping for curiosity
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured it out.

If you have the steam version go here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 3\main

everything with extension .iwd has textures in it.

You can open those files and extract the contents with winrar, they're just a container, 7zip doesn't work for some reason though?

Then get the tool iwi_x_dds
    http://www.diegologic.net/CoD/iwi_x_dds.htm

Once you've extracted all the textures using winrar from iw_00.iwd for example, run iwi_x_dds it opens a window, tick the box that says convert on drop, then drag and drop the files and they will be converted to .dds format. Then you can look at them.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting, thanks for loking up the info.
    I would love for MW3 to be modable like Unreal was, it would open so many cool possibilities.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can definitely update the textures if you want, the workflow is more involved though.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    technically it shouldn't be too hard to mod, since it;s on a idtech like engine, but im sure most things aside from texturing swaping are pretty locked down.

also i dont think they want people to be able to make there own content and make maps with radient since, they release map packs and a new cod every year, so they dont want 1 of the games to live longer than the rest do to modding.