Home Technical Talk

Dissertation: Anatomy Practice

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MrNinjutsu greentooth
Hello fellow polycounters! I'm a long time lurker and infrequent poster to this incredibly awe-inspiring forum, i've had a very keen interest in character modelling/sculpting ever since my 2nd year of university, now i'm in my 3rd and final year it's time for my dissertation and I thought it would be a good idea to ask for some advice from the professionals.

So as the title of this thread suggests; my dissertation is primarily on character anatomy and how understanding it can assist in the process of creating a character. I'm very eager to practice and improve my anatomy skills in both 3d and also 2d (trying to draw and sculpt everyday when i get a chance from other studies) and because I visit this site everyday and see such amazing characters, it's really driven me to strive to improve my skills and knowledge on the subject to hopefully become a well-rounded character artist to one day work in the industry.

I have a couple of questions that i would be most greatful if even one or two of you could answer as it would aid me in my dissertation research and hopefully will not take too much of your time.

1. How has the study of anatomy helped you improve as a character artist?

2. Has the process you use to produce character models changed drastically in retrospect to learning human anatomy?

3. Do you think that communication between artists and designers is improved when you have an understanding of anatomy?

4. What is your prefered method to learning anatomy and then practicing it?

I usually watch speed sculpts on youtube or the more indepth theory studies by such artists as Ryan Kingslien as i sculpt. And i'm soon to be in possession of a couple of anatomy books such as Greys Anatomy and Anatomy for Artists. Are there any other videos/books that you could point me in the direction of that you too have thought of being beneficial for studying?

Here is a work in progress character i've been developing, part of my dissertation artifact.

wUNCT.png

3Dk6Y.png

q1PRe.png

Thanks again for reading the post and for any potential answers and crits that may come!

Replies