Home Technical Talk

[Mudbox] Texturing lowpoly from Max in Mudbox glitches

SiegePerilous
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
Background details:

I made a model in ZBrush and polypainted it. Made a lowpoly and used Topo to bake the polypaint info to a texture and worked on it with photoshop. Later I got a portfolio review and was told to try taking the model into Mudbox 12 and paint directly on the lowpoly as the polypaint from ZBrush had gotten a bit muddy when moved to a texture.

Problems:

1. My model was mirrored and it has a mirrored texture. However, I did combine the two sides in max (no more symmetry modifier), stitched the seam together, and took it to Mudbox with a single model with a mirrored texture.

Now when I try to paint down the center of the model I get these strange glitchy color blocks and triangles and no matter how many times I've tried to clean the mesh and reimport (.fbx) they still happen whenever I start painting. They do not appear on the texture when I first apply it, only as I paint. I checked and they do transfer to a baked texture as well as shown below toward the bottom of the diffuse map. This also paints fine on the sides of the model where it was never near a mirror seam.

mudboxtexturelines.jpg

lizzycolorglitch.jpg

2. A second, and possibly related problem. I've been trying to clean the mesh as much as possible as I try to rule out possible causes of the above issue. I've gone over the seam and removed extra points created by symmetry. I've used a n-gon finding script to get rid of all the n-gons I'd missed. I've put a white texture on the model and found some unclosed holes in the mesh and welded them closed. I've done about everything I can think of and still get errors coming into Mudbox.

When exporting the FBX from max I get turned edges and can't export texture errors, which I seem to recall aren't a big problem. But when I come in to Mudbox I'm getting an "Interior Vertex has Valence Two" error. The associated image seems to suggest there's still an ngon somewhere. Perhaps it's some sort of unclosed hole still?

I have no idea how to make this model cleaner. I've been over it probably at least 6 times and used every trick I know. If anyone knows what this error is or any other tricks to get this model clean enough Mudbox will accept it, or if you know if the two problems are related please let me know. Until I fix this problem I seem to be unable to progress on this model using this technique.

Thanks.

Replies

• Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Move the mirrored shells +1 out of 0-1 space. Mudbox hates direct overlaps.

2. Not sure, but try subdividing it without smoothing and see if it helps.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Like rabbid said. Offset the mirrored uv islands out of the 0-1 uv space. After that import the model inside mudbox and create a paint layer and save the scene. After that go to where the project files and rename the textures located there like so texturename_u1_v1 texturename_u2_v1. After that open the scene again inside mudbox and then you will be able to paint with symmetry without any problems. Anyway here is a video that will clear things out better.
    [VV]3039954[/VV]
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks I appreciate the help. I'll check it out. Was unable to view online videos or my computer would crash. Fixed that. Now motherboard is dead...