Home Technical Talk

Already know Maya, should I learn Max as well?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone.

I've got a question about which 3D programs to learn. I've been using Maya for years. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly confident in it.

I applied for an internship at a nearby studio; however, they mostly use Max. I've used Max for like 10 minutes in the past; I'm a total noob with it. The studio didn't seem too fussed when I told them that, but I was.

Would it be worth it to start learning Max as well as using Maya? I don't really want to switch totally over, I just want to ensure that it doesn't cost me a job or something in the future.

Do many of you guys do this? Use more than one 3D program?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    it will cause a bit of rage, with max's rubbish controls for navigation and selection, but i think it is worth knowing the ins and outs of both applications, since when looking for work you could end up at a max or a maya studio.

the curve wont be that steep since you already understand the core concepts of modeling, and knowing both will allow you to try different workflows, since max's modifer stack can be quite powerfull at times and allow thigns not possible in maya.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll need to learn it eventually sense Maya and Max are the two most popular modeling apps in the industry, so why not do it on your own time and at your own pace instead of waiting to be forced to learn it?

If you can get used to Maxs modifier stack replacing Mayas History, and a lack of marking menus, you'll be fine.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definately worth learning Max if you get the internship, it'll look good you wanting to learn their workflow. Studios usually modify Maya or Max to suit their pipeline so you'll always be learning some new program anyway.

I was like you, a Maya user learning Max, and knowing Maya will mean you should get to grips with Max a whole lot quicker. There are a lot of similarities that you'll notice straight away. I find now that I am still much quicker in Maya, the navigation in Max is slower for me ^^
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I didn't get the internship. I suspect a major part of that was because they were more Max-based. So I'm going to start learning it at my own pace.

Thanks guys.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    It's just a tool. I'd focus less on learning a bunch of software packages and more on learning the art side.

Software is just software. Heck 95% of 3d software is made by the same company. They are fairly similar once you learn where the buttons are. I've used Max and Maya both in the past. I would not hesitate to switch back or to Softimage, Modo, or whatever.

It's just tools. It's like saying someone wouldn't hire a Painter because they have never used acrylics. I'm sure a BA Painter could figure out how to use acrylics instead of oils or whatever.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffro - Thanks for the input. I'm not going to totally switch over and start using some other software. I'll just keep learning bits and pieces of a few others.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Agree with Jeffro. I didnt know Max at all and pretty much just spending like 2-3 days with it, figured out the bare essentials.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, I didn't get the internship. I suspect a major part of that was because they were more Max-based. So I'm going to start learning it at my own pace.

Thanks guys.
    I don't think that was the issue, really.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with Jeffro. I didnt know Max at all and pretty much just spending like 2-3 days with it, figured out the bare essentials.
    We are a max only studio and two of our best guys came in knowing Maya really well and only the rough basics of Max. As long as they keep the swearing and keyboard pounding down to a dull roar for the first week or so its not a big deal. It helps if they ask questions and be inquisitive and not stuck up with an air of "I know everything" which was something we ferret out in interviews... So yea don't be that guy and be open. Maybe check it out and stay current when new demos roll out you don't need to forsake your app of choice, but then again if you like max you might as well stay...

meh... whatever its not a big deal just know enough of the other app to make the transition easy, like someone else said.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I myself did consider learning 3dsmax but I decided to stick with Maya for sometime.There is a lot of advantages that go with learning apps.Like myself,I love learning apps just for the thrill of challenging my IQ on how fast I can learn and understand it.So I get the trial version and see what features can make my workflow better but there is a downside to it,the time u are using to learn other apps could be used sharpening your skills with the ones u already know and producing professional works with it.
    I get impressed and have a lot of respect for a beautiful work done by someone who uses less applications to create it.Say a work that was done with Maya/Photoshop and then u see a work done with ZBrush,Maya,3dsmax,modo,Mudbox,photoshop,topogun,xnormal.All for one work?I say it comes down to personal preference.
    The bottomline is your work is what speaks for u.If a studio likes ur work/creativity,they may not mind u using another app,or will specify u learn their app of choice.The fact that u don't know 3dsmax does not mean u won't find work as a Maya user.Maya seems to be the app of choice in a lot of studios likewise 3dmax.In my time of playing around with 3dsmax,it has very wonderful modeling tools that I could see myself creating stuff without zbrush or mudbox,though it may take time,it gives u more control in traditional modeling.The only reason is it took me a lot of time to learn everything Maya is capable of from modeling,uvmapping,shading,lighting,simulations,rendering,animation among others.I will have to learn all those again in 3dsmax.When I think of how long the journey is gonna take me,I might just stay with Maya and continue to work on the quality of finished work I make with it.Its like someone I know used to say:
    "You can spend your whole life acquring all the knowledge in the world to accomplish something but that won't necessarily make u more sucessful or wiser as those who try to be sucessful with the little knowledge they already have at their disposal will be far ahead of u."
    Its just like reading a manual,buying all the safety materials and kit,acquring all the knowledge u need to ride a bike meanwhile someone else is already busy practicing riding it without all the knowledge. who is wiser and ahead?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm wondering the same questions (or almost the same) : should I try to learn 3DSMax or would I stay a bit with Maya for trying to mastering it ?

I'm still in a school, I'm already busy with a lot of stuff and this is maybe why I don't try to use Max. I have started to use the scripting inside maya a few month ago which allow me now more stuffs than before. Unfortunately I'm starting to wondering what program should I focus now...menupop.gif

I have decided more or less to stay on Maya for learning a lot a concept and tools (which maybe would be replicated inside max). Hard to guess if it's the right choice.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    oO Max vs Maya again :D... Well i only can share my story.. Long time ago when Final Fantasy Spirits within came out people at work and almost every where were like switch to Maya its the next big thing ohhh Max days are over bla bla bla lol. But as we all know what happened, Autodesk took over Alias studios :D. Max got new stuff from Maya and bang. MAX still owns its just depends how much devoted you are to your tool :P.. Not sure how gaming world uses these two Max/ Maya but for Pre rendered industry Max is mostly Arch viz and car renders vs Maya for animations.. and mostly a combination of both tools with editing in After Effects :).
  • SamirDuran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamirDuran polycounter lvl 6
    @Hayden Zammit
    I've fairly similar case. I've worked in Max for about 2 years and just started to learn Maya. When I saw all these differences and stuff for the first time, I was like "ooops". But I guess it's a matter of time ;) Good luck!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify, because I get the feeling a few people are misunderstanding my intentions a bit here: I'm not trying to whine and start up some crap about Max Vs Maya, nor am i trying to decide which program I should go with and only use.

I was just wondering what people's opinions were on learning other main 3D apps to compliment their existing skill set. I'll gladly learn Max or Modo, or Lightwave or whatever if it helps me in future. Hell, I'll switch to using MS Paint from photoshop if it seemed worthwhile.

Bugo - Can't really tell if you're having a go at the art in my folio or not, but you aren't be ing specific enough to help. Either way I heard back from the studio and it turns out my being Maya only was the issue.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll gladly learn Max or Modo, or Lightwave or whatever if it helps me in future. Hell, I'll switch to using MS Paint from photoshop if it seemed worthwhile.

Modo is a good tool to learn, but it wont be dethroning Max/Maya any time soon. Still, it's a fun program you might want to check out once you get up to speed on Max :)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Just to clarify, because I get the feeling a few people are misunderstanding my intentions a bit here: I'm not trying to whine and start up some crap about Max Vs Maya, nor am i trying to decide which program I should go with and only use.

I was just wondering what people's opinions were on learning other main 3D apps to compliment their existing skill set. I'll gladly learn Max or Modo, or Lightwave or whatever if it helps me in future. Hell, I'll switch to using MS Paint from photoshop if it seemed worthwhile.

Bugo - Can't really tell if you're having a go at the art in my folio or not, but you aren't be ing specific enough to help. Either way I heard back from the studio and it turns out my being Maya only was the issue.

Either way you look at it, learning max can only help and never hinder your career. Whether its important or not is another matter. If you just plan on modeling and UVing, the basics...then it really shouldnt take you more than a couple days to get comfortable with Max...its using it as a complete package that will take a bit of time. Thankfully, if you specialize in some field, knowing everything about a 3d app is not exactly crucial.

Other apps like zbrush seem to take a greater priority if the goal is to make current to next generation content, which I suppose one could say is what gets the job at the end of the day. Just my opinion though.
  • Umar6419
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umar6419 polycounter lvl 7
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    @Hayden
    My opinion is that you MUST know Max al least superficially - there's no need for you to know all the tools and features of it. The reason is fairly simple - Max is often used in studios as a "hub" application. Artists usually work in different packages and then they assemble their assets in one application. So you have to be on the inside of all important simple tasks that you may have to do in Max. That's it :)

P.S. Art is more imoportant than software!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I think it would be good to know.

I started bouncing back and forth a little bit just to familiarize myself a little bit. As a Max guy, I ended up getting an art test where I needed to use Maya, and having some exposure to maya beforehand definitely made it easier.