Home General Discussion

Creature Tutorial

[IMG][/img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/502529/Filter_foundry/creature1.jpg

I created this tutorial recently that I wanted to share with you guys, it’s not a detailed step by step tutorial due to the 1 hour limit I was told to keep it to. Due to the creature’s size and the details that needed to be added it went over that 1 hour limit by a little however, to keep the time down further its sped up in certain areas while I narrate and share my thought process.It's a full length video tutorial on Filter Foundry the fast growing social network for Creatives artists/designers. I told the Filter Foundry team I would like to send this out to Polycount.

They have agreed to offer a dedicated invite code(Polycount312) to sign up for free, which is a nice gift for everybody.

I hope you guys like it! http://filterfoundry.com/the-studio/sessions/371/

Shout out to Carlo Arellano(http://chainsawart.blogspot.com/) for allowing me to use his concept for this tutorial!

Ps. I apologize ahead of time for the massive image also for the monotone drowsy voice…it was done in the wee hours of the night after work.

Replies

• Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the invite code do? Looks like signup is free anyway?
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dustinbrown- thanks man!

@Bibendum- good question man, I could be wrong but i'm assuming not all of the tutorials are free... and the sign up code allows you access to this tutorial free of cost. I can find out from FF and let you know for sure.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, looks cool! Always awesome to see guys like you putting out helpful stuff like this. I also love Carlo Arellano's work, so this will be a treat! I'll just go watch it now...
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet ! Carlo's my boy :) Look forward to checking this out.
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheez- yeah awesome dude...and very talented, I've learned a lot from him! he has tons of stories about off the wall stuff!

@Shiniku- sure thing man, i'm a lurker so I rarely contribute and figured this would be a good way to share... and who doesn't love Carlo's work!

been kinda busy today and slow to reply... i spoke with the guys over at filter foundry and this was the reply to the question about the code.

"the invite code does add additional features we can't
    really "display" .

The 4 main benefits are.
    1. Creatives can have up to 12 Galleries (each containing 10 images or videos)
    instead of the usual 6 galleries.
    2. Galleries allow for unlimited video uploading at 1080p with auto transcoding to
    our cloud. Usually only embedding from Youtube and Vimeo is allowed for basic
    accounts
    3. Galleries are auto enable to be visible in search without curation and approval
    of work. (We assume invited users are good enough to be approve by the system in
    real-time)
    4. Users can all upload Studio Sessions (similar to your Mudbox Session) usually for
    pro only. Basics cannot. We have to approve them first."
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Nice tutorial and model Colin, Can't wait to see it textured.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, great stuff, thanks!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Watched part of it, so far, very good stuff! Really great introduction to mudbox.

I will say I'm not a fan of whatever video player that is. I'm sure that's not your fault though. In google chrome it just randomly freezes up the image and sound, but it says the video is still playing. And in firefox it just randomly crashes my whole browser occasionally. It's making it difficult to watch these. Anyone else getting such problems?
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tenchi- thanks

Loraine Howard iii- thanks man, they are interested in doing a second part...which would include the texturing bit, but we'll see. i definetly learned a lot from doing this that i'd like to apply to the texturing part.

@Shiniku-sorry about that man, I was also having problems viewing it at work and I email the guys about it. they did some work to it and it seemed to have fixed it up for me, are you still experiencing any issues with the vids?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    awesome job on that dude. thanks heaps for sharing