Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, Spunky

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spunky polycounter lvl 11
Quick sketch I did while watching Bobo do his scythe. I'm not much of a drawer but thought this would be a good project for me to work on.

axehead.jpg

Replies

• Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scraped my demon axe, it was too dinky.

Drew up a Maker Axe I'm going to do instead. Still need to think of an interesting handle.
    3duex.jpg
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blades for this axe are stone, so they are going to wear down and break a lot. That is why I went with the big bolts to give the idea that whoever uses this axe is able to swap out the blades by just undoing the bolts. I added scratches all over the bolts to tell that they have been used a lot (these aren't game play ideas, just trying a tell a story through the details of the wep:P)

I'm pretty new at zbrush so I'm still learning a lot...I also have a Intuos4 on the way I just ordered so hopefully that will make stuff easier :]

dCaB4.jpg
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 2...I got my tablet the other day. Trying to make the blade look very fragile and worn, again, to convey the idea that these blades are being swapped out on the go as the break.

Still getting use to my tablet...and I'm pretty new to zbrush so any comments or critique would help a ton.

http://imgur.com/a/kWcg8#7AcEw
  • OriginLinear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really dull, not sharp. Like if you were hit with it, it is more likely to break bones, more so than skin and flesh.

I think perhaps the blade could also be a bit thicker. The large nick at the business end could probably be smaller, and maybe a couple more nicks and more obvious cracks in it.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with OriginLinear on the blade looking rather dull... and the thickness. Have you looked at any reference of stone tools? They tend to be rather thick and they don't get narrow until rather close to the edge:
    2011-10-27123753.jpg

I'd also say you probably want to focus more on the bigger details before you get into that fine detailing you're working on. I made the same mistake when I was starting to sculpt, but it's amazing how much better things look if you start at large-scale detail and work small. Stone, especially, has some really cool large-scale detail that will really make it pop even without all the tiny detail you've worked in. Plus, given the texture budget (and, you know, the nature of third-person gameplay that led to the texture budget), you'll lose a lot of that little detail. You might want to take a look at emulating the feel of a more hand-worked chunk of stone than yours, which feels more like it was cut out with a brick saw. It'll make the blade feel heftier, and, for an axe, heftier is generally a good thing.
    09_10.jpg
    Wenceslas_Hollar_-_Flint_axe-head.jpg
    I'm also not sold on the axe head floating so far from the handle. It feels flimsy. A two-handed war-axe is going to be swung for power, and I'd be afraid that any heavy swing would break the area around the bolts and dislodge my blade. I think if you just get rid of the empty space and make the head all one chunk of stone, it'll feel much sturdier, and therefore, deadlier.
    21%2Baxe%2Bhead%2Bbinding.JPG
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! Great feedback. Ill defiantly make some changes.
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really liked the 3rd picture you posted Tony. I know I'm not the best concept artist in town, but does this look more beefy/stoney?

The blade itself is going to be wider. I'm gonna space out the 'clamp' area to fit in a larger stone.

YGvzK.jpg
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright I dont like this design anymore lol. I'm going to sit right now and draw a bunch of concepts...like I should of done in the first place and post em...
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went for a good axe gone corrupt, like it was shattered/possessed/grasped by hitting some demonic thing...Lemme know what you think.

g99GK.jpg
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Your designs lack a big impact. It looks like a tiny throwing axe with some crystals poking out.

Think BIG and go nuts with the shape of the axe. Slap faces all over it, have solid blood dripping down the handle, add a gaping big hole of doom in the middle and so on. Make the blade shaped like fire coming out of Satans ass.

You get the idea though? Hope that helps. I mean your first picture was heading in a decent direction.
  • Spunky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea...about 10 minutes after drawing that I was like, fuck, DINKY AGAIN!!! Why cant i get away from dinky...

This is fixin to turn into a concept drawing contest for me lol.

Oh well, Ill try something again. Hopefully get something that came from Satans ass.