[DS2] Mace, Frump

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Frump polycounter lvl 12
Latest:
iV2xP.jpg
qLrz7.jpg
en64f.jpg

I am tired so I won't type much. I've been working on concepts for the past few days but didn't bear any fruit until now. I am mostly looking at doing Demonic and Kingdom of Death style.

It's all open to crit. Let me know which ones you like best and feel free to mix and match.

p.s. I know the chain and tentacles can't animate, and might be hard to fit into 1500 tris but they were fun to draw. The tentacles might be petrified or something.

pmOvr.jpg

Replies

• jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    I like #3. It looks like the most functional shape out of all of them. The chains, face and ring at the bottom look cool. You'll have to tighten it up around the handle, so it doesn't dangle like that.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I liked aspects of both 1 and 3 so I've combined them. I think I am going to continue with this base design unless anyone has some comments. I am still not sure what will fill in a lot of the black space and deciding on the profile for the handle.

Silhouettes5.jpg
    SilhouetteScale.jpg
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Good to see you join the contest! I really like your current design, keep it up!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey looks like fun, tho bewbs are probably a no-go for shipping in the game so might want to consider covering them girls up.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Hey looks like fun, tho bewbs are probably a no-go for shipping in the game so might want to consider covering them girls up.

Okay, I asked about that in the Q&A thread. Disappointing but I don't think I'll change the design, just cover them up as you say.

Thanks for the info.

@EVIL Thanks man, your current designs are looking excellent as well! :)
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice silhouette. I think the spikes on the top could be a bit more varied in terms of direction. My other concern is what material will be used on the majority of the head. The handle and pommel look great.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Love the idea! Sorry, I meant to reply sooner. I had to talk to a few people. We are mature but no nudity. Just wrap her up a bit or she is demonic, some well placed scales might work!

- BoBo
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, thanks for the reply and info, BoBo. I'll make adjustments before submitting.

For now, it's still raw and it also still exists. I've been really busy and inactive lately but I'm pushing to finish it for the deadline.

Updated silhouettes (going with the one in the center):
    modelingref.png

Handle variations, not sure which ones looks coolest, feel free to weigh in
    WIP%202%203-19-12.jpg

Quick Sculpt:
    WIP%203-19-12.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    New stuff. Time running out pretty rapidly, sleep decreasing proportionally.

A lot of things were just roughed in for presentation and are wip, like the face coverings for the little demons. Speaking of the little demons, they don't feel demonic enough, gonna have to work on that.

All the crits please!

Cheers

6B8ohh.jpg
    IGY73.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work. Two crits would be to stylize the skull on the pommel a bit more and to make the demons look more expressive: right now their faces are very static and emotionless. You could probably get that demonic feel if you pushed some emotion into them.
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with artstream. The faces are beautifully sculpted, but right now they look like they'd fit the angelic theme better :)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys, I totally agree about the faces. Now that I got the blank expression down I'm gonna mess around with it. I have a few ideas, we'll see what I have time to try out.

About the skull, I also agree, but I'm tight for time and it's not a huge element so I'll get back to that one time-permitting.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Not a super productive night last night but I worked some stuff out. Turns out sculpting skulls is really fun so I did redo it. :D

I also did a couple expression variations on the girl. I like the ballgag skull one better but let me know what you think.

Few things left to do, gotta push onward, gonna be a busy weekend.

Cjaz2.jpg
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    The style is on point on all of those sculpts
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    That's good to hear, I was wondering about whether I was matching it well or not. It's really tough to tell without fresh eyes. Thanks.

I realized also that I don't have to choose between which of the above poses to use. Four sides to the mace, 2 are unique, 2 variations of the centerpiece, works out perfectly.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Final sculpts, retopo already in progress. :)

iV2xP.jpg
    qLrz7.jpg
    en64f.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Well, regrettably I am not going to be able to finish tonight. There's no way I can meet the poly budget right now. Below is the best I could do optimizing from my over the top retop. I tried a test bake on it -- no go. I kinda figured this would be a problem but I didn't think of how severe. There might be a way to make it work but I wouldn't have the time tonight. If everything had gone perfectly with the retopo I would have been able to finish in time. Such is life.

I'll still be finishing it this week just not within poly budget or deadline. It will make a nice portfolio piece for sure. :)

MITBF.png
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    I ran into the same issue having never made something this low polly before. Had to scrap it and make a new one. But it was still fun to do none the less.