Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

{Practice} Sci-fi Space station

Hey guys. This is the first project i am posting on poly count. I'm currently in my second year of collage, so still a newbie compared to so many people here. This is a project that 5 of us are working on, i will post my sections. I am doing the corridors and main hub area and there is an elevator leading down to other sections.

I welcome crits and advice, i am pretty new to texturing and still working on my art skills so please keep this in mind.

*nervous gulp*

Hallway connecting to the hub (there is a room coming off the side on the left hence the double pillars that look a bit off.)
Hallway2.jpg

Hallyway Connecting to other rooms with view of space
Hallway.jpg

Floor Texture (WIP)
FloorTexture.jpg

Replies

• Jhill8
    Looks like a good block out so far and the floor texture looks awesome maybe a little tweaking to be done on the normals to give it a nice pop. If you are putting this into udk. Use a cube map as it will help dampen the modularity of the scene. I am no expert but that is what I know from being crit'ed here before. Already subbed this wanna see how it turns out! :)
  • Darkleopard
    Thanks so much! This is not going into UDK, we are using gamebryo because thats what we are using at school at the moment. Im not even sure what a cube map is yet hehe.

Any suggestions on making the floors 'pop'. I am using Ndo at the moment and i cant get the depth any deeper then it already is. I might try some better shading in those areas. I also think the angle is throwing the depth off a little, i'll submit a better pic when i get home from work.

Thanks again. You have no idea how excited i am to have a sub :P
  • Jhill8
    Any suggestions on making the floors 'pop'. I am using Ndo at the moment and i cant get the depth any deeper then it already is. I might try some better shading in those areas. I also think the angle is throwing the depth off a little, i'll submit a better pic when i get home from work.

I dropped Ndo after a while the stutter annoyed me but i would surgest you add a really nice dark line in the edges that fades to gray this will help with the texture pop. Also you can go onto CGtextures and get a nice metal texture and slap that on a layer with a really low opas like 10% -15% (no more than that) and ndo will pick up the impurities which is really nice to see and also helps cut down the modularity again.

I wont go into what a cubemap is if you arent using udk but long story short makes reflections that are pretty :)

Keep up the good work!
  • Darkleopard
    THanks!

I had some darker lines in there before as you said however it didnt look right. I'll see if i can play with it some more and post a couple variations.

I was going to ask if anyone knew how to do reflections just in maya as its something i'd really like to have on the floors.

I really appreciate the crits thank you for the help
  • Jhill8
    I unfortunately dont know how to add a reflection map in maya but to be honest for a porfolio piece you can do it post process.
  • njc6425
    Hey good to see you started a thread :), its Nick btw. Love the floor texture! looks awesome, i agree with jhill, the normal map needs to accentuate more detail but its a good start (looks rad). with reflections, really easy... just change the shader to a blinn and then under the reflected colour channel plug in a picture. thats the fast way. more or less the same for gamebryo too. But yeh just plug your diffuse and normal maps into the blinn shader then find a picture of something scifi-ish and plug that into the reflected colour. (Set maya to high quality) now you should have reflections, just tweak the intensity of the spec and the reflections till you get something to your liking... add a light in the scene too, helps with the reflections
  • Darkleopard
    Ok so heres an update.

I originally wanted to hand paint everything. Due to time limits that's not possible but i will be definetly doing smaller objects in the future completely hand painted. Its something i really want to work on.

So for now here are my updates. The spec's and normals are still being worked on.

Wall texture (Edit: I just noticed that white strip at the top. Its fixed, was just a photoshop layer i had in the wrong spot)
    WallTexture1.jpg

Roof
    RoofTexture.jpg

Updated Floor (You cant see much of a change apparently :( )
    FloorTexture2.jpg

As always i would like some crits, i want to improve. Please help this nooby one with your great wisdom
  • njc6425
    Loving the more or less finished textures. I still think the wall may be too dark in contrast to the floor however after seeing the roof texture I think it will balance each other out in the end. Don't be afraid to meld images together for your textures...its not cheating ;) would be great if you could hand paint them all though :)
  • Darkleopard
    So after a long and painful experience with gamebryo, i have just done some screenshots from the maya view port using a standard blinn texture. I know there are tons of things to fix.

HallwayRenders.jpg
  • njc6425
    Looks amazing :) jealous as.... the left ones look the best :D
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Its clean... i like it.
  • Darkleopard
    Thanks guys.

yeah its supposed to be a research facility. This is really the first environment i have done on this scale and i know it doesn't really compare to most of the work on polycount. Appreciate the comments
  • njc6425
    you needa give yourself more props :) it looks good and fits the concept... if only gamebryo wasnt such a dodgy engine to work with.... cant wait to see what it looks like inside of another more user friendly engine like udk, unity or cryengine :)
  • Darkleopard
    The next update will be along hopefully by the end of the weekend. I will be putting this scene into UDK. I havnt used UDK in over 1 1/2 years so i need to relearn everything.