Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK} modular Foyer

I Had to make a modular scene for university this is what I got I really hope for some critic, I know I really need to improve but I hope you can help I am here to learn!

Highres_Screenshot_00009-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00008-1.jpg

Highres_Screenshot_00006.jpg

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Jhill8 wrote: »

You may want to swap these for valid image URLS :p
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    What light map resolution do you have on your meshes? Those big blotchy dark sections are nasty
  • Jhill8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nathanbarrett I believe they were 1024x1024 this was my first attempt at anything like this so if they dont look great that would be the reason for it. As I say I am here to learn :)

Here is another view:

Highres_Screenshot_00007-1.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Firstly, where is the light coming from?
    As the walls don't seem to be casting shadows it leads me to believe that the meshes are open at the back and need 'Two-Sided-Lighting' turned on in the Mesh Properties.

Rather than get any further bogged down with the technical issues like light map seams and normals looking odd, I'll ask what the thought process was behind these modular assets?
    What is the purpose of this scene/building/room?
    Why did you decide to make these specific assets as modular pieces?
    At the moment, it looks just like you made some random square wall meshes and plonked them together to make a box as if they were lego.

You would probably do better to envision the environment first, before then figuring out what should be modular and what should be unique.

As an example, take this concept art by Jenny Rathbone that I've done a quick and dirty paintover on:

space_tunnel-by-jennyrathbone.jpg

vkK7e.jpg

You can quite clearly see which aspects can be repeated and which should be unique.
    A main modular piece could encompass one window, a data panel and an arch. This could then be repeated to infinity if you so wanted.
    To break a scene up and reduce tedium, you have unique assets such as the girder, the lose cabling and various dirt/cracked decals.

I hope that didn't come across as too aggressive, as I mean to help you get a better grasp of how to approach a modular scene (ie. get the scene part before the modular part) :)
  • Jhill8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sircalalot Ah yeah i deffinitely understand now there was actually a point to this it was meant to be part of a much larger piece. ( or at least that was our breif) As I say i am here to learn and get critic. and yeah they are open backed. guess i did a pretty bad job of this one. :/

I wouldn't say i was number 1 in my class but that is why i am asking for your help really.

I have a new project coming up where i have to make a whole level not just a scene. ( this is gonna be tuff )
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    It wasn't a bad job at all, as you've no doubt learned bugger-loads more than before you started :D

There is nothing wrong with open-backed assets as long as two-sided lighting is set to true in the material or mesh properties.
    A great optimisation technique would have a mesh that, when flipped over, is a completely different object - essentially getting you two "unique" meshes from one draw call.