Home General Discussion

E3 Early Advice

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
I know its super early but since I can't go to GDC this year I'm now looking forward to E3. I've never gone before and I just had some questions. I was reading on the official website and it states that you can get in free if you have two forms of industry ID. Now, I work at a company that would fall under "serious gaming" and I can't say much more than that, but I also work remotely for a startup gaming company making assets in my spare time. I ask because my full-time job isn't technically in the video game industry.

I don't mind paying for a plane ticket/hotel room/etc, but the entry fee for non-industry people is steep. I just want to know if I would qualify for the free entry, and if not, what I can do to make that possible, or how any of you have gotten around some of the restrictions in the past. Thanks.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious as to what you're expecting to get out of E3? Its really a totally different thing than GDC. E3 is a press wankoff conference for media and fanboys. GDC actually has something to do with game development. I feel like if you're going to E3 as a replacement for GDC you'll be disappointed.

Now if you're going to E3 to see the latest games being announced, see some trailers and maybe try some playable demos or whatever thats cool. You can catch most of it on gametrailers though.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who's to say I'm not interested in wanking off? Seriously though, I'm aware that E3 is more glitz than substance, I just think it would be an awesome experience. It would be more of a vacation for me, and if I do make any connections then all the better. Though I've never been, I agree with you about GDC and E3 being entirely different experiences.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Who's to say I'm not interested in wanking off? Seriously though, I'm aware that E3 is more glitz than substance, I just think it would be an awesome experience. It would be more of a vacation for me, and if I do make any connections then all the better. Though I've never been, I agree with you about GDC and E3 being entirely different experiences.

Yeah thats cool, I just didn't want you to be like "wtf is this" when you got there.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I appreciate the warning though, I actually had a buddy that thought the 2 were interchangeable and went to E3 with a printed resume and walked around the show floor, just like you would at GDC, it didn't go well.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Bring a booth babe sized bag with you :P

It should be an amazing year this year what with some next gen games being shown, and maybe even hardware, would love to be going.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    , I work at a company that would fall under "serious gaming"

I kinda wondered where that would fall as well. I'm also at a Serious Games type company. Actually, I didn't know there was another one of those companies so close by (I'm about an hour and half away from Peoria.)

My gut instinct says no, though...your best bet is to just get your proof of employment and send it to them to see what happens.

Being in QA at a studio a few years ago was enough to get me a ticket...I went in 2009. Definitely a neat experience. I will say though, that if you don't have a media badge if feels like your a second rate citizen. A lot of booths have private viewing areas and cater to the media only. Also...you'll likely find yourself sitting in your hotel to watch the press conferences.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    You'll probably find very little Developers going to E3 unless its for work.

It's a consumer/marketing focused event unlike the GDC.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Finally got to go for the first time last year after wanting to go forever. Not at all as cool as I always dreamed. Really just walked around checking out all the booths and junk, lines were so long to play anything it wasnt worth it. I mean do you want to stand in a line for an hour just to play some game a few months early? meh.

Still exciting to walk around with my co workers and look at all the spectacle though. And it was mega cool to see a huge line and people playing the Uncharted 3 multiplayer, that was really cool actually :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how much do you think the full trip will cost you?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's under 2 grand I think I could swing it, I honestly haven't started budgeting yet. I live a pretty spartan life, so If I save a decent amount of every paycheck I could do it. Now that you guys are speaking up I think I might just take the money and vacation in Cali, that's the real reason I want to go, I love it out there.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For just over 2 grand you could just go somewhere crazy like Tokyo for TGS or Germany for GamesCom.

They're both later in the year, so you'll have even more time to save.

I've never been to E3 because well, why when I can go abroad?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Germany you say........
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I went to E3 once back when it was still "good" -- it was pretty lame. There are half a dozen other events I would rather go to (but then I like indie games...)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    You can do a lot with two grand. Heading to E3 doesn't seem like a particularly good use of your money (particularly now you can usually stream the big events live over the web - when you wouldn't be able to get a seat in person).

There won't be many people to network with - case in example we're sending two or three people from this studio; and they're not strictly 'developers', they're there to do the demo and nothing more.