Home Unreal Engine

Problem with lightmap UVs (I think)

Hey everyone, I'm sort of a big UDK noob, so I hope this isn't a really really obvious problem. With that said, here's what I have:

So, this dumpster has light hitting it right in the middle, with half the object in the light, half in shadows. When I build the lighting, I get this result:

ktJR2.jpg

I have two UV sets, the first for the texture and the second for the lightmap. Both are appearing in UDK correctly, with the texture one as "0" and the lightmap one as "1". I hardened the normals, I made sure there were no duplicate faces, there are no overlapping UVs (at least not for the lightmap UVs) and I made sure the vertices are all combined, but I still get this result. I searched through this forum and google but couldnt really come up with much. I spent a few hours on this and am pretty frustrated. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Replies

• Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    What is your lightmap resolution on the mesh in the content browser? Try setting it higher than the default 32 and see how that works
  • SgtNasty
    Ah! that totally worked :) Thanks a million Simmo.

Btw, is it acceptable to bump up the resolution like that in a production environment? It didn't slow down my build time as far as I could tell....
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    SgtNasty wrote: »
    Ah! that totally worked :) Thanks a million Simmo.

Btw, is it acceptable to bump up the resolution like that in a production environment? It didn't slow down my build time as far as I could tell....

It's all about the memory budget you have. If you have memory left for usage, why not use it? :P
  • WarrenM
    The reality is that you almost never have memory left over. If anything, you'll be making lightmaps smaller, not larger, as you approach your ship date. Making sure your lightmap looks reasonable on a 32x32 is fairly standard practice I'm afraid. And even that size is often generous, depending on the size of the mesh...
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    The reality is that you almost never have memory left over. If anything, you'll be making lightmaps smaller, not larger, as you approach your ship date. Making sure your lightmap looks reasonable on a 32x32 is fairly standard practice I'm afraid. And even that size is often generous, depending on the size of the mesh...

True enough.

In this case I'd unwrap the dumpster lightmap UVs so that the the front and top parts would be on the same island. Less obvious inaccuracies that way.
  • SgtNasty
    Thanks for the replies, I'll try unwrapping it that way later today.