Home General Discussion

Stuff to do in Seoul (ot)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Kwramm interpolator
I'm visiting Seoul for a couple of days and I'm wondering if any of you has some advice what to do (I also take suggestions for cool souvenirs).

Supposedly it's, just like Japan, tech and gadget wonderland - so if there's any places where to rummage for gadgets and other odd stuff, I'd be curious.
Ancient palaces and the like with great architecture would also interest me.
And of course, suggestions for great food!

Anyone here can share some tips?

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    My family lives in Ichondong district.

mmm...

Museum is absolutely nuts (make sure you get the english translation headset)

Yooksang building. (That golden tower thingy).

EAT dude! EAT!!!!!

Korean food is like the best stuff ever. Korean BBQ is sofa king good!

Unfortunately when I'm in korea, I have to spend most of my time seeing family.

Lonely planet has a decent guide:
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/south-korea/seoul/things-to-do
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsl finals for awesome starcrafts. its free, you have to register and reserve your seat though.

http://www.gomtv.net/forum/view.gom?topicid=217917&cid=0&kind=8
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Do something u will not forget:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T4c4g3iXv0"]San Nachi - Warning: Man eating Octopus (Live Korean Sushi) - YouTube[/ame]
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    DMZ tour with a brief trip into NK for the luls!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Fuck Korean women.

Some evidence pertaining as to why this is an awesome idea:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7mPqycQ0tQ"]Girls` Generation(????) _ Gee _ MusicVideo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJe9rIY21Yo&feature=fvst"][HD?MV] ???? (SNSD) Hoot (?) ???? [Japanese Sub]? - YouTube[/ame]

Also the food is really good. If you like spicy food, which I assume you're accustomed to at this point.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Korea is awesome.
    Didn't make it to the DMZ, heard you have to make a reservation months in advance.
    CHeck out all the markets around.
    Korean chicks are hot.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Dude I live here right now teaching English, if your looking for tech stuff, Then I recommend Yongsan in Seoul, which is the electronic market. And if you are looking for just other cool stuff to do, I would check out Hongdae, its kinda like the fashion area of Seoul. Umm you could check out Lotte world as well, its a pretty cool in door amusement park. Oh and check out Dongdemoon which is a like another clothes/electronics/ just anything you can find shopping area, and they are open pretty much all night. As for food, get some Sam gip sal which is korean bbq but with pork, and then dai gul bi, which is chicken and spicy sauce with veggies, I hope this helps dude!
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eat jjajangmyun.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Go to Itaewon and Hongdae in Seoul, probably one of the best place to hang out and go

Itaewon is a multicultural district in korea and is a very famous for korean ppl to hang out and see sweet shops and great place for food

Hongdae is where you go to have fun in korea, lots of clubs :D also known for its street art and unique shops and tons of art schools as well. Hongdae univsersity is known for its art program i believe as well.

and Food!! street food in korea is simply amazing !! make sure you try out korean (han-woo), probably the best beef you'll ever taste.

Visit gyeonbok palace ! right in the center of seoul, see where the korean king once lived!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Thank you everyone for the tips - I'll definitely look forward for the food because I love Korean food!

I'll be a month late for the starcraft tournament. But maybe there's some nifty related merchandise available, like action figures and such?
    ambershee wrote: »
    DMZ tour with a brief trip into NK for the luls!

haha. I went to NK in 2010. I was thinking to do the DMZ tour just to stand on the opposite side of where I've been in 2010 but there may be more interesting things to see. It's just an extended weekend trip for me.

One last thing - if you would go there, any area you'd recommend for hotels? - with a central location and from where it's easy to reach the various parts of the city - maybe close to the metro?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Tenchi wrote: »
    Eat jjajangmyun.

omfg, you have no idea how much i'm craving that stuff right now.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    There are a lot of beautiful places to visit in South Korea (I didn't find the DMZ beautiful, but I was there for "business" and not pleasure). If you visit traditional shops--always negotiate the price (tourists usually just pay the asking price and you can get a lot better deals if you play the game). Too bad that you aren't there longer--you can get some custom clothes made for a real bargain.

Pulgogi (barbecue beef) prepared at a grill in the table and Kalbi (usually barbecue pork) are good, but try the various seafood recipes. Try the various types of Kimchi (what is available depends on the season (Paechu, Oi, or Kimchang)). Wash it down with Soju or Makale if you dare.

Do not equate anything in Korea to Japan. Older Koreans, especially, are not fond of the Japanese because of the occupation.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    hah, what were all you polycounters doing at the DMZ / in north korea.. maybe i should point your homeland security folks at this here thread :D