Home General Discussion

AMD Designing Next-Gen Playstation's GPU

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
claydough polycounter lvl 10
http://www.techpowerup.com/161172/AMD-Designing-Next-Gen-Playstation-s-GPU.html

to soon! to soon! to commit to hardware?

I actually hope that graphics commitment is stalled long enough for Maxwell levels of power. ( shadows, bones, muscle systems, micro-polygon tessellation etc... )
But since that has been puhed from 2013 to 2014 it seems doubtful. Kepler-era tech just doesn't seem to have enough distance for true levels of freedom.

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The point of console hardware is not to use the latest and greatest.
    It'll be some hardware we're already used to, and ATI has always been consistently cheaper.

ATI really has gotten itself a hold of the console market though.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    What will the drivers be like...?

I kid, I kid, I know they will be shit. :p

I am a little bit tired of all the "OMGAH MOER GIGAFLOPSSSS!" mentality everybody is going for. Whats the point in my 720 beinn able to crunch 10x more polygons if my characters all animate just as poorly as they do now? Whats the use in more memory if the world is still this static hull I cant really interact with?

I'm sure pretty soon we will be approaching insane levels of detail where I wont be able to tell if something is realtime or not. I mean, the recent SSSS demo was insane for example, and yes, you CAN do that level of detail for the world (if you had a billion people working on it, sure), but the thing is what use is all that detail if I'm still stuck with clunky physics, botched walk cycles (Mass Effect I'm looking at you) and zero interaction?

Just becuase I'm playing a first person game, why does my gun on the screen have to be the ONLY indication of me being there? Why can I not pick up a tin can from the ground, peel the label off, and throw it at pigeons? If I throw a chair through a window, why can I not pick up the glass shards?

Its true that a lot of things are not present BECAUSE its a game... But the above are extreme examples. A better one? why the FUCK am I playing COD 17 and yet I still can't jump over a one foot tall curb?

More power shouldn't just mean more insane graphics... Improve everything else FIRST, then move onto that.
  • claydough
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno...
    I would be just happy if every new game just reflected yer talents and did not look like shit.
    But everything looks like shit to me lately.
    Witch is confounding cuz I seem to remember u guys as being ninja crazy talented?
    Does the crate modeler have the final say on all final renders?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think a huge problem with games looking like "shit" is lighting. You make this amazing art asset, you set up some sexy arse renders, then it gets ingame and what happens? The lighting in the world is hardly passable at best, and most of the time because its on a console its mipped to shit anyway...

More real time lighting please, with more time spent correctly lighting and shaowing the world.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    What will the drivers be like...?

I kid, I kid, I know they will be shit. :p

Haha :P, both the 360 and wii utilized hardware from ATI, I think it's easier for them to avoid issues when they only have one spec to work with ;)
    I am a little bit tired of all the "OMGAH MOER GIGAFLOPSSSS!" mentality everybody is going for. Whats the point in my 720 beinn able to crunch 10x more polygons if my characters all animate just as poorly as they do now? Whats the use in more memory if the world is still this static hull I cant really interact with?

I'm sure pretty soon we will be approaching insane levels of detail where I wont be able to tell if something is realtime or not. I mean, the recent SSSS demo was insane for example, and yes, you CAN do that level of detail for the world (if you had a billion people working on it, sure), but the thing is what use is all that detail if I'm still stuck with clunky physics, botched walk cycles (Mass Effect I'm looking at you) and zero interaction?

More hardware means more freedom to implement new systems that previously weren't feasible, it's up to developers to actually make use of that though.
    Just becuase I'm playing a first person game, why does my gun on the screen have to be the ONLY indication of me being there? Why can I not pick up a tin can from the ground, peel the label off, and throw it at pigeons? If I throw a chair through a window, why can I not pick up the glass shards?

Now this is a whole other can of worms, roguelikes excel at this kind of interaction though.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I don't understand why people expect Consoles to be powerful.

They never were powerful, PS2 was powerful, but only because PC's where a 'nerd' thing for many, unlike now, where a simple google search will tell you how to make one from an obsidian ingot, running on the enterprise.

If you don't want your games to look crap, make a PC version, simple as that. If you're afraid of piracy, wait till consoles have more access to internet hub like structures, you'll have P2P and Torrents on consoles in no time.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ please stop trolling
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I don't understand why people expect Consoles to be powerful.

They never were powerful, PS2 was powerful, but only because PC's where a 'nerd' thing for many, unlike now, where a simple google search will tell you how to make one from an obsidian ingot, running on the enterprise.

The average computer when the ps2 was released was already quite a few times more powerful than it, so it's pretty much the same.
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    If you don't want your games to look crap, make a PC version, simple as that. If you're afraid of piracy, wait till consoles have more access to internet hub like structures, you'll have P2P and Torrents on consoles in no time.

Games look just fine even if the hardware is a bit behind the times, it's all about the artwork artists can produce.

ikken wrote: »
    ^ please stop trolling

He has a good point though, if we're talking technical progress in games the golden era was always when the pc market was dominant, now it's pretty flat with the occational large spike when a new console is released.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    6 times more powerful than the 360 is a HUGE leap - not sure what the hate is for? Look at the content the hardware can already run - Gears of War3, Battlefield 3, Rage and many others.

As a dev I'm more concerned about the CPU and memory of the system rather than the GPU performance. There needs to be a far better CPU (quad core would rock my world) and at the very least, 1GB of ram (2 would be better!).
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i just want more memory, tired of getting ports of console games to PC that have fucking horrible low res textures.

because a lot of games are targeted at console first, it is really restricting, the PC market, since were stuck with what works on a console instead of games that can take advantage of the extra memory, cpu and gpu power of a PC.

also a lot of things that go into make goes look good on consoles is just tricks, like really low FOV to cut down on what needs to be rendered, and that consoles are generally only rendering at 30fps, and some games only at 720p.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Memory is the real killer for the 360 and Ps3. Slap several gigabytes of (fast) memory and you're going to see some considerably new potential :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    6 times more powerful than the 360 is a HUGE leap - not sure what the hate is for? Look at the content the hardware can already run - Gears of War3, Battlefield 3, Rage and many others.

Have you seen Battlefield 3 on the XBox? Not even going to address Rage...

6 times just ain't enough to provide lastability. I also think their choice of card is a big mistake. But... they still have bazillions of die hard LIVE users so I think they'll be fine. Looking forward more to what the PS4 ends up being now... I think this coming generation really needs to introduced tons of simmed hair and cloth to seem impressive.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Kind of funny to hear that the specs of the new consoles are dissapointing. There always usually hyped to hell. "The emotion chip", or "these SPU's will give us 21.8 jigawatts of power".

I think there sales will be dissapointing whatever the specs though. They'll be released in a massive economic downturn.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Sales will initially be low, and people will shout doom. But then sales will catch up when the holidays hit, and blow up completely when the next big releases arrive.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Have you seen Battlefield 3 on the XBox? Not even going to address Rage...

Have you ever owned a console before? Never has there ever been a console that rivaled the home PC in terms of GFX and CPU power. Six times more power would put it easily on part with today's PC GPU's, which lets me honest, do more than enough. Will that run Crysis 12 in 9yrs? No. But bear in mind, those consoles came out about 7yrs ago. How many 7yr old PC's are running modern games?.. That's what I thought. Consoles will always be behind the bleeding edge of PC hardware, but that's the nature of the beast. A PC can be upgraded, a console cannot. It's a single hardware configuration that developers can target and exploit and that's kinda the point.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    please dont render my 560 ti useless mr new consoles
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    honestly i just want consoles to run existing games at native 1080p, 60 fps. graphics tech can always be improved, but running games at 1024x600 interally (MW3) and upscaling looks and feels abysmal and should be the priority.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you ever owned a console before? Never has there ever been a console that rivaled the home PC in terms of GFX and CPU power. Six times more power would put it easily on part with today's PC GPU's, which lets me honest, do more than enough. Will that run Crysis 12 in 9yrs? No. But bear in mind, those consoles came out about 7yrs ago. How many 7yr old PC's are running modern games?.. That's what I thought. Consoles will always be behind the bleeding edge of PC hardware, but that's the nature of the beast. A PC can be upgraded, a console cannot. It's a single hardware configuration that developers can target and exploit and that's kinda the point.

:) ignoring crysis 1... think about wot yer selling?
    Most of these modern games are made and work on 7 year old consoles where my 7800 gtx cries like a bitch when I try to throw Bioshock at it. Consoles did have a bleeding edge. Legs.

the nvidia gpu in production during development was at best the 6800 gtx, the same same gpu Tim Sweeney was using to sell the first glimpses of unreal engine 3 can not run Bulletstorm of Arkham Asylum or the majority of console offerings.

It is remembering wot hardware was available at that time that makes me very nervous now.

But with Maxwell and Kepler being touted as CPU independent ( tech fer non-cpu bound happiness ) and Maxwell numbers being sold as 20x fermi.
    I am hoping the tweaks the consoles get will match that kind of freedom.

6x the openworld or 6x the rts blitzreigs? vs 20x sounds like a huge difference and a playground that sounds more enjoyable to tinker with for the next 7 years. Considering that tech IS in development right now is really exciting. Certainly the pipeline I want to develop for. Seems like there are a lot of people trying to throw large wads of money into my pockets lately. To make their social and mobile get rich quick dreams come true. Just when things might have a chance of becoming really fun! I am willing to bet I only have 10 good years left in my old bones and would rather work for free just to work on really fun. After so many years sometimes money has a way of feeling like it owns u. At which point there doesn't seem like any polite way of saying " I do not want to work on yer fucking social game! go fuck u and yer iPhone!"
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    please dont render my 560 ti useless mr new consoles

If yer 560 ti is not usless with the next gen of consoles I will probably jump off the south congress bridge!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Was CPU power really the bottleneck?

:/

The big issue with much of the PS3/360 isn't the power. It's mediocre art & art direction.

Games are NOT going to ALL start looking better than Uncharted 3 or Gears of War just because of Additional Power.

More GPU power won't fix bad anatomy, or shoddy spec maps.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the vram was one of the bigger complaints, you can't have many high rez textures that look good at 1080p.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If the coming console generation has a more powerful gpu than the 560ti I'll eat my own pants.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

The big issue with much of the PS3/360 isn't the power. It's mediocre art & art direction.

Games are NOT going to ALL start looking better than Uncharted 3 or Gears of War just because of Additional Power.

That's entirely true, but there are some solid examples of console counterparts that are struggling technically, like battlefield 3, and the fact that nearly every console release runs at 30fp 720p when they could flow beautifully at 60fps and at a true 1080p resolutiuon.

And if you tell me that's not important I'll banish you back to the 480i age.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dam, and all this time I was under the illusion that talent would no longer be a factor.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

xcuse me, but pretty much every console was technically better than PC at its release date.
    except PC technology run never ends, while with consoles you see new products only once in three or four years.
    FF VII, shenmue, FFX, silent hill 2/3, ninja gaiden (or even dead or alive 2/3 for that matter) were kicking PC games asses, even despite making assets for consoles was a bitch compared to PC.
    there would be no way you'll make a shadow of colossus tier game on a 1999 years PC hardware.
    with this gen, uncharted looks better than roughly about 95 % of PC games (mostly due to sony's backing resources, but still)
    I don't get the whole "bring true HD in!11one" shouting here - who really cares about tech power, if ps3/360 resources are splurge, yet most games looks like overprocessed glorified shit.
    I'm also really curious what will be a game industry employers result of technology boost - is it gonna be more overtime, less per-hour pay, higher outsource percentage?
    Someone will have to fill the whole 1920 HD space with stuff, bloom and fancy shaders can only do that much.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    xcuse me, but pretty much every console was technically better than PC at its release date.

xcuse me, but this is just silly and uninformed, look up facts and the hardware of the times before you make such claims.
    there would be no way you'll make a shadow of colossus tier game on a 1999 years PC hardware.

It would've been, most ports from pc to to ps2 during that time would have to be scaled back and split up, take something like deus ex where the levels had to be split up due to memory constraints on the ps2 versus the pc, and that game was released on pc the same time as the ps2 came out.

The pc hardware was always considerably more powerful and could pack a near massive amount of ram if they wished to and a harddrive to stream content from long before it became standard in consoles, but with consoles people knew exactly what hardware limits they were working with.

Shadow of the colossus is entirely smoke and mirrors, much like god of war.
    with this gen, uncharted looks better than roughly about 95 % of PC games (mostly due to sony's backing resources, but still)

Again, fantastic artworks and a ton of smart tricks.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to mention nearly all PC games are lower budget, or hampered by the need to multiplatform alongside consoles. Having only one release platform makes your job much easier in that regard..
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As JacqueChoi pointed out, it's more an issue of art quality and direction than mere power at your disposal.

But eld is also right, certain games like BF3 just don't work on consoles from a technical standpoint.

The new GPU I would guess is roughly the same as a GTX560 is today. That's enough power to create really outstanding worlds on consoles. As long as the CPU and system memory are bumped up, I really don't see a problem with it. I had the same graphics card for almost 5yrs and didn't have to upgrade until BFIII came out (it just couldn't handle that on more than low settings). But it handled all my other games great. I think 6x more power than the current gen is going to be plenty. As artists we just need to learn to make better, smarter art.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    It would've been, most ports from pc to to ps2 during that time would have to be scaled back and split up, take something like deus ex where the levels had to be split up due to memory constraints on the ps2 versus the pc, and that game was released on pc the same time as the ps2 came out.
    conversely, silent hill 4/resident evil 4 PC ports looked like shit. where's your better hardware now, if coding/porting work is sloppy.
    Shadow of the colossus is entirely smoke and mirrors, much like god of war.
    smoke, mirrors and better hardware research. GTA III was released on the same hardware, and it aged horribly, while SC was still looking decent at its release time.
    Again, fantastic artworks and a ton of smart tricks.
    so why is everyone SO hyped for hardware, if it's still about artwork and smart development?
    I don't think switching to new hardware will be cheaper than pushing limits of current offerings, especially with consoles; while a thousand out of school youths won't replace a good art director and lead artists.
    I'm still lolling at "6 TIMES MORE PVR THAN 360" a bit, especially since marketing words never were a big thing in gamedev realm.
    ps3's been looking much more exciting a year before it's release, and than cost-cutting suddenly appears.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think switching to new hardware will be cheaper than pushing limits of current offerings

really... were already using thepower these machines have very effeciently...all thats left is for thousands of man hours to eeek out the last few drops... personally some extra welly would seriously help push games forward without spending half the dev time wringing everylast drip out of aging machinary.

also good lighting tech in this generation is extremely limiting due to memory constraints fully dynamic lighting engines allows way more freedom in development, in terms of scope and speed of itteration. i cant wait for this........
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    also good lighting tech in this generation is extremely limiting due to memory constraints fully dynamic lighting engines allows way more freedom in development, in terms of scope and speed of itteration. i cant wait for this........

this would be great indeed.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    If we have shitty mipping, you do realize we have the ability to go in and tweak and re-bake, and touch-up every mip level?

Developers simply don't have the time or money to do that.

Even when I see DX11 capabilities, and from the offset, it hardly looks better than what current gen games are offering. More polygons? Sure, but lack of polygons is hardly considered a BIG visual issues.

For every Battlefield 3, I could likely list 200 games that never really pushed the graphical capabilities to its fullest. It's also not really like Battlefield was much of a systems seller to necessitate creating a brand new console for.

But as with tech, it's always moving forward, regardless of whether any of us think it's smart or not.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    conversely, silent hill 4/resident evil 4 PC ports looked like shit. where's your better hardware now, if coding/porting work is sloppy.

Somewhere being properly used, sloppy porting is no excuse for anything.

Take 1999, when the good old athlon came out, these were powerful processors and while multicpu wasn't common, it was available as well, somewhere in the 500-1000mhz range of that time.

Memory was abundant if you wanted it to be, 128-512 mb of ram wasn't too crazy in an average gaming computer in 98, where as the 2000's ps2 sported 32mb.

the geforce256 had come out 99 too, this one packed 32mb vram, the ps2 one had a few megabytes at most, this is the usual console vs pc trend, people had the luxury to run their games at HD resolutions where as the ps2 would struggle at the regular 30 fps 480p resolution.

harddrives in pc's as I mentioned had been standard for years and not even this generation of consoles is it standard, streaming have always been limited.

smoke, mirrors and better hardware research. GTA III was released on the same hardware, and it aged horribly, while SC was still looking decent at its release time.

GTA3 is a sandbox camera everywhere kind of game, where it gives you freedom it'll cut down in graphics, god of war for example features a very driven camera where no polygon wasted since the camera will never see it.
    so why is everyone SO hyped for hardware, if it's still about artwork and smart development?
    I don't think switching to new hardware will be cheaper than pushing limits of current offerings, especially with consoles; while a thousand out of school youths won't replace a good art director and lead artists.
    I'm still lolling at "6 TIMES MORE PVR THAN 360" a bit, especially since marketing words never were a big thing in gamedev realm.
    ps3's been looking much more exciting a year before it's release, and than cost-cutting suddenly appears.

For the same reason we were hyped to finally work with shaders and normalmapping.

The next console generation is this current pc generation, we're already working with the tech, and everyone loves it, it's not as alien as people make it out to be, the total war series has already for some time been technically ahead of console specs, but that did not stop them.

We can squeeze in more details in environments, we might have a chance to loosen up on the optimizations for a bit, we can play around with more expensive shaders.

Oh and again, 1080p and smooth 60+ framerates, we're still barely HD in an age where we have run HD games on pc's since the early 90's.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Somewhere being properly used, sloppy porting is no excuse for anything.

Take 1999, when the good old athlon came out, these were powerful processors and while multicpu wasn't common, it was available as well, somewhere in the 500-1000mhz range of that time.

Memory was abundant if you wanted it to be, 128-512 mb of ram wasn't too crazy in an average gaming computer in 98, where as the 2000's ps2 sported 32mb.

the geforce256 had come out 99 too, this one packed 32mb vram, the ps2 one had a few megabytes at most, this is the usual console vs pc trend, people had the luxury to run their games at HD resolutions where as the ps2 would struggle at the regular 30 fps 480p resolution.

harddrives in pc's as I mentioned had been standard for years and not even this generation of consoles is it standard, streaming have always been limited.

GTA3 is a sandbox camera everywhere kind of game, where it gives you freedom it'll cut down in graphics, god of war for example features a very driven camera where no polygon wasted since the camera will never see it.

For the same reason we were hyped to finally work with shaders and normalmapping.

The next console generation is this current pc generation, we're already working with the tech, and everyone loves it, it's not as alien as people make it out to be, the total war series has already for some time been technically ahead of console specs, but that did not stop them.

We can squeeze in more details in environments, we might have a chance to loosen up on the optimizations for a bit, we can play around with more expensive shaders.

Oh and again, 1080p and smooth 60+ framerates, we're still barely HD in an age where we have run HD games on pc's since the mid 90's.

Even when I see DX11 capabilities, and from the offset, it hardly looks better than what current gen games are offering. More polygons? Sure, but lack of polygons is hardly considered a BIG visual issues.

Most consumers and even most artists will only realize a tiny bit of what a new version and update to the shader capabilities will actually do, and in the ends it's a fantastic tool that is first realized by the people using it.
    For every Battlefield 3, I could likely list 200 games that never really pushed the graphical capabilities to its fullest. It's also not really like Battlefield was much of a systems seller to necessitate creating a brand new console for.

Nearly every game will max the hardware budget, what they do with it is different in every case though, needless to say though we have a very visisble roof on the current consoles and a towering new one on the actual tech we have advanced to this day and age.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    While I appreciate that you took time to write the tech breakdown, ps2 had a fair share of 60 fps games - burnout, star ocean 4, virtua fighter 4 and DMC 1-3 for example; same with dreamcast, where sonic adventure was pulling off 60 fps easily, and it was even more common on NGC/xbox (bawww, pc hardware inside)
    how many PC games used enough data to fill a single dvd at that time? not even to mention that adding an hdd in early 00s will jack up price significantly.
    shadow of colossus had free-roaming camera for the most time.

Oh and again, 1080p and smooth 60+ framerates, we're still barely HD in an age where we have run HD games on pc's since the early 90's.

PS2 videocard was capable of outputting HD720 res stuff -
    Video output resolution: variable from 256
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    While I appreciate that you took time to write the tech breakdown, ps2 had a fair share of 60 fps games - burnout, star ocean 4, virtua fighter 4 and DMC 1-3 for example; same with dreamcast, where sonic adventure was pulling off 60 fps easily, and it was even more common on NGC/xbox (bawww, pc hardware inside)

It's not about capability, they could render three-digit framerates if they really wanted to, but to get the fidelity they wanted with the amount of freedom in camera motion they'd have to settle with 30fps, while some other games would pull tricks and be smart about it, those would reach 60fps.
    how many PC games used enough data to fill a single dvd at that time? not even to mention that adding an hdd in early 00s will jack up price significantly.

Pc harddrives have been consistently cheaper than their console counterpart, but regardless; you'd end up with a smaller drive than you would've now, but that was still fast and big enough for intended purposes and game streaming, every pc had one.
    shadow of colossus had free-roaming camera for the most time.

In empty terrains, they were smart with what they did, and you'll notice in the temple how they're just nearly over the edge of going too far with the hardware, it wasn't a god of war in terms of detail as much as it was a piece of artwork in the style.
    PS2 videocard was capable of outputting HD720 res stuff -
    Video output resolution: variable from 256
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikken, I think you're missing the point. When Gran Turismo 4 came out (March 2005), HDTVs were indeed already catching on - and PC hardware was already leaps and bounds ahead of the Ps2. When Valkyrie Profile 2 came out (September 2007), the Playstation 3 was already sat in millions of homes and people were rocking GeForce 8 series or equivalent graphics cards and with literally hundreds of times the memory available on the PS2.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Have you ever owned a console before?

A fair few...
    Never has there ever been a console that rivaled the home PC in terms of GFX and CPU power. .

Actually the graphics chip in the 360 was actually a pretty damn good card when the 360 was released, everybody was pretty surprised how good a card actually, which brings me to your next point...

Six times more power would put it easily on part with today's PC GPU's, which lets me honest, do more than enough. Will that run Crysis 12 in 9yrs? No.

... that's what people's problems is. Consoles SHOULD last that long these days; MS and SONY have been saying all along this generation that that would be their intention from now on. Consoles should last longer than fresh PC builds.
    But eld is also right, certain games like BF3 just don't work on consoles from a technical standpoint.

Uh huh. And somehow thats... not what I've been saying? The 360's graphics chipset was bloody impressive when it was released, and it's struggling after only 7 years. Now, this new Xbox does not look like it will be as impressive as even the 360 was at the time, so how long you figure it'll last, or multiplatform games will look good on it? 6 times just ain't enough. That Samaritan demo Epic showed required 10 times to processing power of a 360.

Of course, this is pure speculation on all our parts. Both consoles could be officially revealed to be processing monsters.