Home General Discussion

Newbie seeking advice on freelance job offer

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, I've got a question for some of the more veteran of you on the forums. I currently work full-time as a 3D Modeler/Texture artist, and I have just been offered the same position, but via satellite. The satellite position would not be full time and it is it at a start-up game company.

I have no intention of leaving my current job. I want your guys advice/tips as far as how I should discuss pay, deadline expectancy, amount of work/time spent on said work. I don't want to get into a situation where I get off of work, only to come home and work all night as well. I see this as an excellent opportunity to really pad my resume, especially since I am just starting out in my career. I just want to make sure the cost isn't too high.

I've never worked via satellite either, so any insight on how that would work would be greatly appreciated as far as time commitment, how the pay system works, etc., etc.

I would really love to do both, and I would like to hear your input/advice as to how I should approach this. Thank you.

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to assume that your full-time job and freelance offering are at different companies. In that case make sure your contract allows for you to be able to work for both. Many companies forbid employees from doing freelance work at all, some are more lax.

Make sure you can handle all the extra work. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Honestly unless you need the money, I'd say just work on your portfolio while not at work rather than trying to do more work at home. Seems like a sure way to burn out really fast.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only advice I would have is to just be frank and ask a lot of questions. Know what they are asking for and know your own capabilities, that way you'll be able to estimate deadlines and know whether or not they would necessitate working all the time.

I'm in a situation right now where I come home from my day job (not in games) and work on freelance game art. My deadlines are suuuuuuuper flexible though, so I take my time and either work on my client's art or work on my own art in order to increase my skills. Either way I'm coming home and working on art, I think that's just the way it is when moonlighting.

One very important thing is to have a contract. You're already a professional so I'm sure you know this, but it bears repeating. I've already found it immensely useful as a reference even for myself to remember what I did and did not promise. Also an approval clause is necessary, you don't want to get stuck in endless revisions. (I've been there, yuck!) Make it so each piece gets 2-4 revisions then everything over that number (your choice) has a dollar value attached to it.

I'd like to hear some more vets chime in on this. For me I've set up my project so I'm completing small pieces and getting smaller paychecks more frequently, that way if someone skips out on a bill I'm not out a ton of money. I've been burned very badly in the past and I'm probably a little paranoid.

I recommend pestering Jon Jones, he gave me FANTASTIC advice when I was drawing up my contract. (the approval clause was his idea in fact)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent advice guys. They just let me know today they were interested, so a lot of the details are still up in the air. I've already run it past my director and she is ok with it. The only reason I am considering it is because I'm just starting out in the industry, and anything I can do to make myself a better hire in the future is alright with me. However I don't want to get ripped off, and this being a startup company, I don't really have anyone I can talk to that has worked there before.

@Tigerfeet I believe they're willing to offer me a salaried position, is that something you would take via a pay-as-you go type of thing?

It sounds like their development cycle is not yet set in stone, as in 2-3 years away from the release of their first game. I don't honestly know if it is very trustworthy, but being as I already have a full-time job that isn't as much of a concern. I'm just wondering how you guys would go about discussing payment, because honestly, I don't know what my time is worth yet :)
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me personally? Hell yes I'd jump on something salaried. For me my biggest concern is getting paid and making sure the workload won't overwhelm me. Still, I think what you're asking is very personal. Really think about how this would work FOR YOU and don't take my advice as law. I want to stress that the contract I'm in right now is my first of its type in five years so the experience I'm drawing from to give you advice is extremely limited (namely, I'm parroting all the wonderful advice I've gotten from others)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how you guys would go about discussing payment, because honestly, I don't know what my time is worth yet
    If the potential client pays upfront (like a perecentage) or connects you to their payroll cycle (bi-weekly paycheck or direct deposit for example) that client is gold to me. Personally, I don't care for net-30 net-60 pay arrangements. That's for desperate graphic designers. You don't have to tell your day job managers what you do during your off hours. I think non-compete matters if you're working for a studio within a certain distance from yourr regular company (something like within 100 miles). If this is online based I don't see any ethical issue as long as you don't share IP info/resources between the two jobs. Know what I'm saying? But like what Ben says. "Don't bite off more than you can chew." I'm on two freelance projects right now and it's hard and inefficient paywise. Good luck!
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Personally, I don't care for net-30 net-60 pay arrangements. That's for desperate graphic designers.
    Oh good lord yes, seconded ten million times. I did net-30 right out of college and had to chase the guy around for an extra 30 days to get my money. Never again! Funny enough, at the time I was a desperate graphic designer :poly142:
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    Oh good lord yes, seconded ten million times. I did net-30 right out of college and had to chase the guy around for an extra 30 days to get my money. Never again! Funny enough, at the time I was a desperate graphic designer :poly142:

Yup. If they're not willing to pay on delivery, they're probably not willing to pay.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just got the word that it will be a pay per completion of an item type of thing. Now I'm presented with another problem, what do I charge? Is there a scale that you guys have used/would suggest using as far as amount of time spent on a project/size of the project? Your advice has been a great help so far, and I'm sure it's a great help to anyone her that is getting into remote work/freelancing for the first time as well. Just wanted to say thanks.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would say minimum 25-30 dollars an hr, and tuats pretty lowball for professional work if you already have experience. anything less it really isnt worth your time and if they are super small time chances are there will be some type of money problems will probably magically pop up to have them avoid paying you. Dont under cut yourself, if you are going to freelance, make it worth your time.
  • desmontracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's important is you know how to handle your time very well, making sure that your 1st job won't be affected when you accept an extra job. The problem would only arise when you cannot handle the two job since both are paying you good.
  • AkaFrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. I was on the same dilemma as you are a year ago. I needed extra money and a freelance job offer via satellite just came perfectly. There were only 2 concerns I was worried about.The first thing I was concerned about was the payment, how on earth will they pay me and how can I have an assurance that they'll pay. So, I discussed with the client everything about payment. I know dealing with clients overseas, is like gambling. You don't have the 100% assurance that you'll get paid but you can reduce the risk. And I know a well-worded a contract is the only thing that can help. The payment structure in the contract can ensure that I would at least get paid something for my time and effort.

Next thing I was concerned about was If my company would allow me to work on other companies and if I'd be able to handle both jobs. So I read and asked about my contract, and I found out getting a freelance job won't violate it, and I discussed with my freelance client about my situation and was kind enough to give me a flexible time. When everything was clear, I gave it a go. I ended my contract 3months ago, luckily, the company was true to their word and the contract. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Marvin
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, all your advice has been incredibly helpful so far. I truly appreciate it.