Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Vietnam War Tent WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
Hey there Polycount! I've been working on a small scene, the interior of a command/communication tent during the Vietnam War. Here's what I have so far.

vp2KH.jpg

k45X3.jpg

Dltcd.jpg

Playing with some DOF
JzNU0.jpg

Among other things, still have some lighting/lightmap and texture tweaks to do on a few of these assets, especially that white sign.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The ground needs some work. I am assuming its dirt/mud so it should have boot prints and should not be perfectly flat. Also that muddy floor should effect the plywood which is far to clean at the moment. The assets look nice though, I like the detail on the radio station table.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    As BARDLER said, getting some boot prints in there would really help this out a lot, in both the mud and on the wood. It might also be cool to have a few rips, tears, and/or bulletholes in the tent with some backlighting shining through. I also think you can really push the light coming in through the tent flap.
  • JackalSkull
    in addition to waht everyone else said, the floor should also have more plywood on it, since it's a command tent, wouldn't want officers getting their boots too muddy.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    Workin on tryin to get some boot prints and dirtying up the ground/plywood. Haven't deformed the ground yet but gettin there.

edit: Still making some tweaks to mud

TS585.jpg
  • The Lone Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some simple papers and a few cigarette butts/empty packs

Scvor.jpg

BjzyH.jpg

gvK8Y.jpg
  • neverwander
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    I would suggest taking another look at your lighting. It seems very flat in these pictures. It may be better in motion if you've added some motion and varying intensity to the lamp light, but I can't tell if you've done that. I would say drop the intensity of the area light (or whatever you're using to light the bulk of the scene, and try to enhance the shadows cast by the lamps.

Hope this helps. The models are all looking good. To tie in with the lighting you might want to push the AO and get some darker shadows, especially in the corners of the tent. :)
  • MorganFX
    It might just be my eyes, but is your mud footprint's normal map on the wood boards on the ground inverted? Awesome job by the way, it's coming a long. :)
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    That dirt is still far too clean. It needs some undulation where it has gathered and accumulated in the corners and around the bottoms of objects where they sit on the ground. There also should be depressions and more heavily-traveled areas where people walk back and forth and across high-traffic paths (from the door to the radio, to the map, etc). Right now there's even "wear" on the dirt in the highest and lowest-traffic areas.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    Any updates on this? Was keen to see it develop.