Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*Beep Boop* Robot

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
First post here on polycount. Love the atmosphere and the positive reinforcements, and especially the critiques.

Posting my most recent study and work. I'm comfortable in zbrush, but never did any hard surface stuff, so i'm trying my hand at some new components and working pipelines current progress shots. :)

The original Sketch and base model

robot01.jpg
Blocking in shapes
robot02_new.jpg

Blocking in detail
robot03.jpg

Its slowly getting there. Any critiques/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kness polycounter lvl 5
    it looks really good....

so how long did it took you to do that, up to this point (your current post) ???

i will definitely follow this.
    I wonder how you gonna UV map this guy, would love to see your process.

are you going to make a low poly of this robot ???
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kness wrote: »
    it looks really good....

so how long did it took you to do that, up to this point (your current post) ???

i will definitely follow this.
    I wonder how you gonna UV map this guy, would love to see your process.

are you going to make a low poly of this robot ???

I've been at this guy off and on for about two weeks. With other school work and what not getting in the way.

After i've finished sculpting him, I'll take him and retop him according to how he'll animate, so retaop things like the body and the turbines together. Then taking the individual pieces I'll unwrap them according to their groupings (mostly pelt mapping)

I prefer low poly modeling myself, its fun to get the details to show in the texture and not just rely on geometry, though this guy will definitely be a challenge to keep low poly.

I'll post progress as I go for sure.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I certainly like the design of it in general. I would love to see it in a better shader than that awful red wax zbrush has as default.
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phil101 wrote: »
    I certainly like the design of it in general. I would love to see it in a better shader than that awful red wax zbrush has as default.

Lol. Been switching back and forth while modeling. Here's a more interesting shader.robot_05.jpg
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing out normals on low poly head of the guy to see if this workflow will work for the rest of the body. Pretty happy with the cleanliness of the bump. Once i finish retopping and baking normals to the low poly I get to start texturing!test_render.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    i think we've got an inverted G channel over here
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Mmm something doesn't look right about that normal map, it's all nice and smooth on the highpoly then all blotchy on the low poly. As Butt says, could be a flipped G channel
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    yeah man flip dat green dawg!
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Bah! Why stop there? Invert them all! Everyone is always picking on the green channel...poor green channel. But yeah...flip it.
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I was wondering why it looked off. Using xnormal for the first time and had some mixed results.

Being new to xNormal, is flipping the g Channel just the click of a button or drop down menu? I'll derp around and see if i cant find it. Thanks again for feedback. :)
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    Shadownet752: Open your bake in photoshop, go to the channels tab, click on the green channel, then hit "ctrl + i". Done and done.
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, I really appreciate feedback and help with normal problems. Gonna take a break from him for the moment now that i have a pretty near finished texture on him. :)Turnaround.jpg
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waa, awesome! Post texture sheets if possible ^^
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great. I feel like it would benefit from being a bit cleaner. Not sure if it's the normals or too much noise on the diffuse.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Looks really cool. Keep going!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw hes so cute :D I love it.

Texture sheeeets!
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback :). Far as continuing work on him, I'm gonna give him a basic rig so I can pose him easily. Clean up some of the messy noise in the textures, and add some painted light to really bring out some of the greys.

LRoy: most likely the diffuse, the normal map is pretty straight forward in terms of details. I just got super into adding noise where I could i think :)

Also, here are my main texture sheets, minus the glow map, which is just the blue spots from the original texture only brighter.textures.jpg
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm very curious on your hard surface worklow in zbrush. Did you just used you mesh/dynamesh sculpted and you have baked them on your low poly ? Or you have made an intermediate retopo for getting a clean hard surface shape ?

Great work by the way ! :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    job well done, Really like the hp, and because of that i feel you can still accomplish a lot with your texture, not really sure what is bothering me about the texture, maybe the lack of material definition, maybe the grey metal can stay like that with darker gloss and brighter specular value and the orange could use a cube map.

feels like you only darkened your spec map
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    I'm very curious on your hard surface worklow in zbrush. Did you just used you mesh/dynamesh sculpted and you have baked them on your low poly ? Or you have made an intermediate retopo for getting a clean hard surface shape ?

Great work by the way ! :)

I tend to work similar to how i use photoshop, with a number of different layers, which is this case was subtools. With each piece a subtool (as you can see in my first post), I can easily modify one piece at a time independently. To give pieces a nice clean edge and overall shape the Clip curve tool was a huge help!

As i continued in my workflow, adding small pieces here or there, I will mask off a subtool and extrude the area for a nice clean piece of armor.

My brushes consisted of clay tubes to build up pieces, trim dynamic to smooth, polish to round edges and Dam Standard to add panel lines. Custom alphas are a must as well once you get to the high poly for baking details!

job well done, Really like the hp, and because of that i feel you can still accomplish a lot with your texture, not really sure what is bothering me about the texture, maybe the lack of material definition, maybe the grey metal can stay like that with darker gloss and brighter specular value and the orange could use a cube map.

feels like you only darkened your spec map

Definitely. No project is ever finished.

That said, i feel that the grey areas were definitely overlooked, they are super flat and have a very small bump at best. I appreciate the feedback. As for cube maps, i've never worked with one myself, but I'll do some research. :)