Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rock WIP

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Hello,

I was starting to play around rocks. I always had problems with them, so i thought i'd test new technique (new to me, that is).

It has 2k tris, and texturing is stil WIP.

6SJlV.jpg

I do have a little problems with panting texture though.
I'm trying to paint some "highlights" where the sharp edges are, and i'm using normal map as base for that, but, it's a bit hard to see what is up and what is down, so i sometimes paint where it isn't sharp edge, but is whole.
Any hints how to aproach this?

Replies

• Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky wrote: »
    Any hints how to aproach this?

Have you tried baking a curvature map?
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    no, what is that ?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    In Crazybump, you can load up your normal map and generate a specular map from it. In there, you can adjust the width of the highlights. The map that you will get will have some very dark values, but you can mask them out in Photoshop through the Blend If menu. Afterwards, you can paint a mask for that layer to get rid of unnecessary highlights.

If you have Xnormal installed then use the Photshop pluging that it comes with. It allows you to create a cavity map out of your normal, similarily to Crazybump.

If you don't want to use either of those, you can use a very dirty hack to get similar results. Simply load up your normal map into Photshop, desaturate it, use the highpass filter on it and then adjust the levels to bring out the highlights. It may not give you the correct results, but sometimes it does the job.

On a side note, I would probably go back into your sclupting app and define the planes of your rock sculpt a bit more. Right now, some of the surfaces look a bit "blobby". What tool are you using? Both Mudbox and Zbrush have some brushes that make sculpting hardsurface objects very easy.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx, for suggestions!

Crazybump idea sounds very intresting, i will try it.
    I also do have Xnormal, in fact, i used it to generate normal an AO maps.

I used ZB, mostly trim dynamic and trim Adaptive, and claytubes here and there.
    But yeah, you may be right, some areas do look a bit too blooby.

Tnx for the help!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Zbrush you can use the Planar brushes to get some well defined planes before you star adding damage and weathering. The cool thing about them is that they work quite well both in the additive and substractive mode. This way, you can get well defined planes even in areas where two planes of your rock meet. Flatten and Polish Brushes (especially Clay Polish set to low intensity) brushes can also help a lot.

Don't be afraid to use the smooth brush; all you need is to smooth slightly away from the edges. Perna had posted a really cool minitut on his site.

zbrush_hardedges.jpg
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Also, there is alot of uniform noise in the texturing. Try to contrast it with less noisy parts to give the eye rest areas, all the while maintaning realism, of course. also, use reference in your sculpting, the form looks unnatural.

My first from scratch model was a rock, and I failed pretty hard so im interested in where this will go.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RJBonner makes a good point. You can quickly mask out the noisy details in your texture by using an Ambient Occlusion map as your mask and then adjusting the levels.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, yhats a cool idea actualy
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have Xnormal installed then use the Photshop pluging that it comes with. It allows you to create a cavity map out of your normal, similarily to Crazybump.

I second this, and think it's more or less exactly what you were looking for. Be sure when generating the cavity map to set the method to EMB (emboss) and then blend it with overlay.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok, tnx a lot guys, a lot of good suggestion, especially regarding brushes (and PS tips).
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, what is that ?
    A curvature map is a map you can bake in xNormals (and I'm sure other programs) that will give you a grey base color, and lighter color on convex surfaces and darker on concave, meaning you get highlights on outer corners and shadows in inner corners.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ah, tnx, though when i tried to make curvature map in xnormal, it created RGB file (i mean, it had red, green, blue colors in it, not black-white)?

Anyway, tried to change color a bit, make it less noisy, is this any better?
    tZlpm.jpg
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, tnx, though when i tried to make curvature map in xnormal, it created RGB file?
    Yes, by default it creates an RGB file, just set it to Monocrome and the base color to 50% grey and it should be fine.