Home Technical Talk

[? 3DsMax] Character modeling tools and technique question.

Hi everyone!

Couple questions...

What add-ons/scripts would you all suggest for character modeling?

I've seen some nice things with PolyBoost, but does it work for 2012 max?

The characters I want to be making would be high poly models for artistic purposes (and to learn something new to get me inspired) and not so much game spec (Film, animation, matte painting, w/e) and would probably end up in Z Brush and then back in Max for some posing.

I have decent modeling (understanding) skills with props, but character modeling always demolishes me.

I'm open for tips and suggestions :D

Thanks before hand!

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    To answer one question, Polyboost has been integrated into 3ds Max as the Ribbon toolbar. I would say you don't need any external scripts right off the bat, because the Ribbon has most things you would need. Maybe a quad-chamfer tool.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Organic modelling is a lot more forgiving in a technical sense than hard surface work so if you're capable of building high res environment/prop art you've got all the skills you need - all you need now is to be able to make something the right shape and no shiny tools are going to make that possible.

I'd recommend nosing round a few character workflow breakdowns rather than hunting for tools - most of us are using zbrush/mudbox for about 80% of the process these days anyway.