Home Unreal Engine

Lightmaping issues, round 2 or here we go again lightmaps

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
So, after spending 2 weeks on getting a single mesh to work allright with udk lightmaping and (failing miserablly) i had to come once again for some help guys :\
I have done everything, tried everything, read the tutorials about making lightmap from epic forums, i even posted there and made a post on polycount some time ago.
I made them using a grid of 0.015625, so the uvmaps are perfectlly lined up in a 32 pixel grid and it doesnt hit the half of a pixel

I am attaching a 3D Max 2010 file and a .ase as well, could you check what i am missing? :(
i know i am wasting a lot of space, but the seam shouldnt be present there, to me it seems like its hitting between a pixel like this video explains, but even after following the steps it didint work: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntx10JMl9f4"]Fixing Lighting Seams in UDK - YouTube[/ame]

ASE :http://www.mediafire.com/?wf7fwo76rs521g5
3d max file: http://www.mediafire.com/?27fove9f5dvfpm0

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Post images of the seam.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Attached the image to the op
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    bump, still cant find out the problem
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I open your MAX file in 2012, I see this in channel 2:

lightmap.jpg

Is that your actual lightmap? If so, that's the problem. You need to uniquely lay out the lightmap so that nothing overlaps. As a first step, anyway...
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    There will always be SEAMS in UDK no matter what. There is only work around to that but still a seam will b there it will just depend on how u plan, texture and model assets and place them.

SEAMS from lightmap and Texture are sort of natural, think of it as how the heck computer will know to cover the missing parts when we humans have made computers :D.

Newayz im kinda stoned to see ppl posting this video alot while the fact remains that there are more newer versions out of UDK than this vid :D, meaning EPIC might have solved this issue, I can confirm i havent notic this issue on OCT 2011 version.

Try posting some pics of what exactly u trying to make so I can give you some pointers. I.E Environment or just a mesh on its own. :)
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    While it's true you can't be super anal about seams, his problem was a simple one. The issue was how your model was setup not an issue with your light maps.

You had a model with closed edges so you get seams from the black ends of the light maps between the adjoining models bleeding through. If you leave the edges open you wont get the problem.

You probably wouldn't notice them with a texture so it's usually better to keep the closed. It all depends what your trying to do really.

nVCXI.jpg
  • Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WarrenMarshall - For me, that uv layout was for the UCX collision volume.

I agree that seams are always going to be an issue.

I suggest stretching your uvs to fill up as much 1-1 space as you can. Lightmaps are gradients so you can't tell the difference in texel density. The difficult part is trying not to land in the half a pixel areas.

Also, if you can, add pillars or trim pieces, or posters, or rain gutters, or anything you possibly can to cover up the issues. When I tested your mesh out and viewed the detailed lighting, the normal map of the default material did a good job of hiding the seams as well.

Good luck! (to us all)
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Heres an update, i deleted the side faces of the model as DeadlyFreeze suggested, but i am still getting the error :/
    I want them with clean lightmaps becouse i want it to be a plaster wall, i know i could have made all of this with bsps, but its an exercise on modular meshes
    DeadlyFreeze, could you upload a max file or .ase of the wall without the seams you made so i could check whats wrong with mine?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry don't have them any more, they really weren't different from what you had done. The only thing I change was your lightmap was broken up and I reattached it all to one piece and rotated it so it was horizontal as possible.

If you break your lightmap up it can 'bleed' shadows from one piece to another, which might be your problem.