Home Technical Talk

From Maya to Max

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Sorry If I'm writing in the wrong section or thread but here it goes.

So I'm switching over from Maya to Max for the second time, And well
seems like I lost all my knowledge from last time, as well as I never really
felt as comfortable in Max as i do in Maya, even though I used Max fulltime for maybe 4 years in total.

I would probably do this quietly by myself if I had the time, but I have more or less 2 days to get in shape, so hope you guys can help me make the transition easier.

For a first, The main problem I have with max vs maya is snapping, In maya I use snapping
for everything, to move my object to move any faces or verts where i want them, rarely use
move tools for anything, and I only have to use 2 buttons.
Never managed to figure out a way to do this in max without going in to options and changing
things for every snap i want to do, Is there any fix for this now? If i had the maya snapping tool I could almost choose max over maya.

Question 2, When i create a cube,plane etc how do i get it to just create a box on the pivot, without me having to place it out?

Thanks for the help

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just noticed snapping works more like maya in max 2012, great
  • dr jekyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch! hopefully u r not being forced to change? But just strengthening your ninja cg skills.
    I haven't tried switcher by draster but the videos make it sound like it does a pretty nice job making max seem maya comfortable? Have you checked out the draster website yet?
    Hope that helps.

There are only two major dcc tools really. That pipelines are more effective by denying artists the tool of their choice is a myth on many levels. The penalty is spent elsewhere at someone elses expense either way. Whether it's the poor sod sweating it out (again) late at night. Or when the otherwise uber-talent passes over or leaves your project for a rewarding experience. Screw that! I am going to be dead soon enuff. If there was no pay at all I would wash dishes again and still work overtime for free. But I would dam well use the tool of my choice.
  • dr jekyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just noticed snapping works more like maya in max 2012, great

Ahhh, supercool! :thumbup:
    Nevermind then :poly124:
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm actually not sure if they are making me switch or not, but seems like they are all working in Max, and as I don't want to cause problems I think i should do so as well. Also I'll be working for a Japanese company later on that requires me to work with max so I might as well take the bullet now rather then later.

It's true that many companies allows for people to work with either max or maya,
    but there are still engines that are built for one or the other, as well as in house scripts or programs are built for one or the other, So if your changing companies alot you
    might as well learn both.

The snapping seems improved, so that kinda saves me, now it's more about regaining my max memory.

Anyone know how to move the pivot of an object?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out how to move the pivot.

Anyone know how to get uv's straight in max? If it was maya i would just align two verts then unfold unselected, why max can't have one constant uv window open for all objects I won't even ask.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    this should straighten out UV strips

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/uv-strip-straightener

ya it is pretty hard to switch over, i find i just cant get used to the max navigation and selection style.

i've been trying to pick up max myself since it's modifer stack can be useful in some cases, and i have worked with engines that got a pretty broken pipeline if oyur on maya or xsi.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great script Passerby, that would even save me time in Maya, thanks :).

Yeah having experienced this before, It isn't fun, but atleast I have previous experience,
    just need to get all that knowledge back as soon as possible.

Any button i can hold in to do a select unselected in max?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured out how to move the pivot.

Anyone know how to get uv's straight in max? If it was maya i would just align two verts then unfold unselected, why max can't have one constant uv window open for all objects I won't even ask.
    Yea a lot of people have been on them to change the UV Editor to a mode you enter at any time (just like Maya) instead of a goofy modifier you have to juggle. I had my fingers crossed when they said they where overhauling the UV editor for 2012 but they managed to crush my hopes with their fake update. Don't get me wrong the tools they added where nice but it wasn't even close to what was needed.

Anyway, straighten is in the upper right corner inside Quick Transform, they are called Align Horiz and Align Vert.
    With this you have to straighten each loop one at a time, if you try to straighten a few different lines it smashes your entire selection to one edge. Because of that I don't really use it that much, I continue to use some custom scripts that I wrote before they added Align. My script will straighten each loop on its own.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2336353/UVFlatten.ms
    To install: Run the script once from anywhere MAXScript -> Run Script
    Then you can assign it to a shortcut, toolbar or quad menu from the Customize -> Customize UI menu.

They also added Straighten Selection which is under Reshape Elements and is used to square off messy UV's. Most of the time it works, sometimes it doesn't so I use the above script.
    Click Edge, Click Loop, Click Ring, Flatten Horiz/Vert.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resurrecting this thread again sorry.

Thanks Mark! didn't notice you wrote before sorry.

Just wondering about some hotkeys and other small things that would help alot
    I think most of these things i have lived with before, but as I really need to
    speed up my workflow it would be really nice if you could help me.

1. extruding directly by just holding a button and draging an edge out.
    having to go into the extrude options and set everything to 0 every time and then
    drag it out is really tiring, so is this possible?

2. hotkey to switch to move the pivot instead of the object, as i do this alot when i snap object to each other.

And well just because i go here to ask I forget what more i need help with, so I'll get back with more questions, hopefully someone can answer.

Thank you in advance
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3. Is there a Key dedicated to repeat last action?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    no
    but you can use the little coloured squares & topbar of the right click quad menus to repeat the last cmmand from that menu though (it'll be highlighted)

its not as quick as hitting G but once you're used it the extra flexiblity is nice and it becomes a kind of gesture
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the opposite, have to use Maya mainly instead of using Max for 10 years. It's been kinda rough for me so far, just because of Maya doing weird shit, like not keeping my SO Selection, always having to reset Transforms to mirror, UVing is alot more work than in Max.

But to answer some of your questions:

1. For Extruding, set that to a Hotkey for the Settings Options, when the dialog pops up, if its not at 0, just rightclick the spinner, it goes to 0, and hit Accept/enter.

2. I set Insert to Affect Pivot Only, like Maya does, then I set the Home Key to Center the Pivot for each object selected. What's awesome in Max, and I don't see in Maya, is that you can Rotate the Pivot as well as move it.

3. There isn't one that I know of, although there might be. I don't do that, but there might be a script for it. I just hotkey everything, and its pretty damn fast imo. Maybe not quite as fast as repeat last.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, so guess max is all about making your hotkeys? a bit scared though, last time i did this i corrupted the something and no hotkeys worked anymore

poopipe - what colored squares? I'm running max 2011, everything seems quite grey.

mLichy - If you want to move the pivot, just hold D + V easiest and fastest, never felt any need to rotate the pivot but i guess thats mainly because we get used to not having stuff.

well i guess ill go hotkeying.

4. guess there is no hotkey for ring and loop either then?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5. Ah noticed I'm missing the selection option spline to face, face to spline etc
    anything like that in max?

6. I asked about it earlier, but select unselected, i mean holding in a button and drag selecting it, for example all selected faces becomes unselected and all unselected faces becomes selected
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7. when holding ctrl in maya and use the scale tool in one axis, all axis will transform except the selected axis, anything like that in max?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    when you bring up a quad menu it has a square in the corner of the menu title bar right next to the cursor - that is the "repeat last command from this quad" button

4. ring and loop do have hotkeys - they're called select edge ring amd select edge loop in the customize UI thingy - dunno what the defaults are because I change them.

5. in edit poly you can control click the icon in the selection rollout to transfer selections - it doesn't work on all object types/modifiers but does on some

6: ctrl+I will invert your selection - there's no equivalent to Maya's (completely foul) selection method though

7. click and drag the middle of the gizmo where the innermost triangle is for uniform scale, use the large triangle for 2 axis scale and the axis sticks for single axis scale - if you wave the cursor over the gizmo it'll highlight the axes you're going to scale in.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks poopipe! saved me lots of trouble

added repeat last to the useless x button

4. seems like there were other with the same name thats why it didnt work to change the hotkey for me.

5. hm ok maybe there is a better script or something.

6. kinda mistook max for maya and found it accidentally nice :)

7. ah great that worked.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not to hijack the thread or anything, but kinda related.

in max how can i rebind the keys for the default quad menus.

currently max has the modeling quad menu on control+rmb, but since im used to maya i wouldn't mind somehow moving that too shift+rmb and making a new one for selection tools on control+rmb.

though from looking at max it seem impossible to bind anything to a modifer key plus a mouse button, aside from the defualt ones which seem to be hard coded like that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep... the customize UI system is pretty fugly. A lot of it is hard coded and locked down. You've hit one of the basic ones that drives people nuts.

We've also been after Autodesk for decades to include a switchable nav system so it can be configured to behave like every other 3D app (aka Maya navigation).
    Fingers crossed for 2013! But I'm not holding my breath, heh....
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep... the customize UI system is pretty fugly. A lot of it is hard coded and locked down. You've hit one of the basic ones that drives people nuts.

We've also been after Autodesk for decades to include a switchable nav system so it can be configured to behave like every other 3D app (aka Maya navigation).
    Fingers crossed for 2013! But I'm not holding my breath, heh....

ah what i thought, ya biggest annoyances, is that the max nav feels clunky and stupid too me, and cant be switched, i cant switch what shift, control and alt do to selections, since i rather have shift as add and control as subtract, and the quad menu bit.

one of those things that just baffles me with max like why the hell would these things be hard coded.

i find max to be the tool i want to like, because i really do like the modifier stack workflow for working on certain assets.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    mLichy wrote: »
    3. There isn't one that I know of, although there might be. I don't do that, but there might be a script for it. I just hotkey everything, and its pretty damn fast imo. Maybe not quite as fast as repeat last.

Just to add you can rotate the pivot in maya. Just hold d and a little sphere click thing will show up underneath the pivot, click and rotate. Maya changes the move settings to custom orientation so its technically on every model so you have to switch it back to object/world etc
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi im back again.

unwrap uvw questions, Is there any good plugins for max when it comes to uv editing?
    In maya there is uvdeluxe for example,

one thing i really want is to be able to normalize by pixel per cm or unit etc.
    the ones i have tried doesnt always work.

also when i use max, use unfold or relax, i allmost never get a good result on cylinders or round objects, always calculates wrong, is there any special settings to use?
  • Mohammatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not sure about the relaxing stuff, but as for UV unwrapping, I found some awesome tutorials that helped me get a grasp of it, I used to haaaate unwrapping lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUUhOCEujUI"]UVW Mapping / Un-wrapping - 3D Studio MAX Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0oiVYKH8c&feature=related"]Unwrapping Characters in 3Ds Max - Beginners Guide, Unwrap UVW - YouTube[/ame]
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It isn't free, but I found this tutorial to be really helpful in getting a good handle on Max's unwrapping tools:

http://www.3dmotive.com/training/3ds-max/uvw-unwrapping-an-introduction/?follow=true
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so there isnt any good script to normalize uv elements by pixel per cm? I tried to use mops script, but doesnt seem like it can handle many objects.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, Max 2012 has a button for that in the UV Unwrap window. It normalizes UV islands by their relative size to each other - might not be exactly what you want but it seems to work well for most things I've tried.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I kinda want to set a specific mesurement and assign it to all islands and objects, not just the relative size between islands
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but actually i have given up that, now i just want a script or something that works, dont know but some islands doesnt get normalized relative to the other islands, so ill end up having to do it manually for most things anyway.

So if anyone can give me a working script it would be really! appreciated.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm having a problem, i can't seem to use shift extrude spline, I'm wondering if this has to do with that im using switcher, but it doesn't work even if i turn it off, Is there any hotkey for this so i can re assign it?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    That's probably because you can't shift extrude a spline in max. You have to use an "extrude" modifier on top of it.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats weird, I have searched around on how to extrude splines without extruding the sides as it does when using the extrude button on a spline, and there are alot of posts referring to use shift drag, or maybe because i said spline and not edge?

I have a hard time believing everyone push the extrude button to extrude then merge everything for every edge they want to extrude

here is posts talking about this as it was quite a normal method.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-985324.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090916115845AAGBO4R
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ah you have to be precise vith the terms man.
    I wudn't know. To me the edge extrude is hard coded, i don't see any way to override the drag function. Might be wrong.

But my bet is you try to extrude an edge that can't be.
    I'm lazy, so :
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/support-tech-discussion/4313-3dsmax-shift-drag-extrude-problem-help.html
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe yeah noticed that sorry :P

sadly that isn't the problem though, doesnt work on any mesh or plane surface :( maybe my ui customization have damaged it somehow.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the edge open or is it in the middle of the geometry. You can only extrude open edges.

Well... technically you can extrude a closed edge in "edit Mesh" but it orphans the newly extruded part when the mesh is converted to edit poly.

ExtrudeEdge.jpg

In general extruding non-open edges is a mess...
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the effort with the picture, but my problem is with open edges :(, gonna try and reinstall max after my next deadline.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might have turned on constrain to edge or face. I'm not really sure what the problem is and pretty much shooting in the dark.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well sadly that's because it mysteriously just doesn't work :(, have checked all constrain settings and other settings that might have effect on it, but no luck, I'll just try a reinstall when i finish, that should do it.

Thanks for taking your time trying to help me :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    3. Is there a Key dedicated to repeat last action?

Repeat last action is the ; key
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, put it on another key though, but as it doesn't work on everything like in maya :( i kinda tend to skip using it at all or forget about it.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    it only works within the editable poly modifer, as far as i know. which makes it semi useless, true.