Home General Discussion

Dare to be Digital 2012

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
benji polycounter lvl 7
I'm in the process of getting a team together for this year's Dare to be Digital :)

for those who don't know, it's a 10-week game dev competition held over summer at Abertay University, very well supported by industry bodies and pretty prestigious.

The application process alone is going to be a mission, so I'd love to hear from anyone who's taken part before, especially if you have some advice to give :)

anyone else considering applying this year? If so, good luck, and share your thoughts here!

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I took part in the 2009 competition, and had a great time. Good luck in your application. If you have any questions I'll have a go at answering them, there's also a few others who have taken part in it previously poking around here also. I wrote a piece about it a few years back that maybe you'll find helpful;

http://playablepixels.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/surviving-dare/
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice advice on your blog andreas. One point though "Deep fried mars bars are, unfortunately, a myth as far as I know", they are real, and they are awesome.

Good luck with getting in. I tried to get in 2 years in a row without success which was a shame, and having worked in the industry for well over 6 months now I've missed the chance. But I know a lot of people who took part in it and had a great time. If you get in take full advantage of it, because out of the thousands of people who apply very few get in.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I was in Dare last year and have been fielding questions from people around my area for the past few weeks so I'd be happy to answer any questions also :)

My big tip for the application process is mainly not to show off any modelling/texturing skills etc as they have no interest at this point. All they want to see is unique ideas and nice 2D artwork to back it up :)

Good luck!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O wrote: »
    I was in Dare last year and have been fielding questions from people around my area for the past few weeks so I'd be happy to answer any questions also :)

My big tip for the application process is mainly not to show off any modelling/texturing skills etc as they have no interest at this point. All they want to see is unique ideas and nice 2D artwork to back it up :)

Good luck!

Could you elaborate on this? Not sure what you mean? Do you mean Dare's focus has turned more towards developing casual market prototypes? Most of the games (I think all actually) in my year were pretty impressive full 3D games with some very nice 3D art assets.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I just mean that during the application process they had no interest in our teams abilities, all they wanted to see was a good game idea with nice artwork to back it up.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, that's odd. Surely the team will have to have quite a good skill level to produce a decent working and fun prototype? Hell, in my year, even one of the winners had bad issues with bugs during Protoplay.

In my experience you aren't going to see industry insiders all that much (they've got their own jobs after all, and have to travel quite far for it) so entrants should be pretty capable.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    We weren't tested at any point during the application process or asked to show any proof that we could do work to the standard needed, all they cared about was how good the actual idea was and that it wasn't the same as hundreds before it.

Also we saw industry insiders 2-3 times a week, each visit comprising of 2-4 professionals.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm I guess things have changed :) Sounds good. We got to see R* guys and Rare guys maybe 4 times each I think, and then some programmers and designers from local studios that produced games like Crackdown were knocking about too, they would have been around more frequently.

Also I remember emailing a tech director in Rare and getting a reply on an issue so they would have been there email wise too.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    sucks you have to be a student....dont know why they dont throw it open to anyone with the talent. Would be a much better competition
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was graduated over a year when I took part. There is leeway. You have to have less than 6 months industry experience though.

Maybe thats changed though?
  • o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also took part in Dare 2009 (Hi Andreas, this is Karin:) ) and it sure was an awesome experience. I wasn't much involved in the application process though, but I know our focus was to present a solid, not too complicated game concept rather than to show off our individual skills. I was the only artist on the team and the only art we handed in during the application process was a couple of very basic 2d concepts and some 3d stuff I'd made earlier for other projects.

So, as others have pointed out, the most important thing to advance is probably a solid game idea. In 2009 the target audience was kids, don't know if that has changed, but if not that might be a good idea to keep in mind.

Good luck, hope you make it!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    In 2009 the target audience was kids, don't know if that has changed, but if not that might be a good idea to keep in mind.

Yeah this is still the case, the competition doesn't try and stop you from making mature games and you are pretty much free to do what you like but 70 - 80% of the people who play it at protoplay at the end are ~14 and under so building a game that they either can't play or won't want to play would be a huge error.

Plus imyj has done dare, I believe he got Bafta nominated at the end and he was there last year helping us out by mentoring and representing crytek/passing on wisdom at protoplay so he's a good guy to ask questions also.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks so much all of you, your advice is like gold to us :) we'll take it all on board. Andreas, that blog piece was great. Mathew, you're going to the Blitz open day, amirite? Hopefully I'll see you there and have a chance to ask some questions face to face.

Any chance you guys have demos or youtube vids of the games you created?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also took part in Dare 2009 (Hi Andreas, this is Karin:) ) and it sure was an awesome experience. I wasn't much involved in the application process though, but I know our focus was to present a solid, not too complicated game concept rather than to show off our individual skills. I was the only artist on the team and the only art we handed in during the application process was a couple of very basic 2d concepts and some 3d stuff I'd made earlier for other projects.

So, as others have pointed out, the most important thing to advance is probably a solid game idea. In 2009 the target audience was kids, don't know if that has changed, but if not that might be a good idea to keep in mind.

Good luck, hope you make it!

Follow this ladies advice, I still play their game! ;) So awesome and addictive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZinGHFwJU7k"]Break a Leg - Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg it's been ages since I saw that trailer haha! I have to admit it was really fun to play, even at a very early stage during the 10 weeks of development. And although the graphics is not very impressive I still remember feeling quite good about it at the time:P
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    If a team needs a 3D artist, I graduated less than 12 months ago and am willing to get involved!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i wish i could be involved in this, would be awesome
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I can definitely recommend Dare to anybody looking to take part :) The experience is amazing and it helped me make over 9000 industry contacts and even landed me some interviews. I did it in my 3rd year of uni.

Although I can't give feedback on peoples game ideas (since I am involved in the competition) I can answer general questions about the competition.

As mentioned above; the target audience is the types of people who will attend the final showcase: Protoplay. The majority will be kids and teens and it's true that in the past, the games which were successful were casual games aimed at kids. Sometimes you get some surprises but generally speaking - you want to do your research and figure out what will appeal to the judges and the people playing your game. Ideally you want a quick prototype which is easy to play. I would recommend that anybody applies. It's not so much a competition, it's more an experience where you'll grow and mature in a ridiculously short amount of time.