Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro Space Adventurer

jmt
This is a concept I've been working on for a new character. It's mostly based on science fiction character designs from the 60's. This will be a video game character and I plan on doing the high poly > retopo > bake workflow. The model right now is just a base mesh, so it's not really worth showing at this point.

I'm open to suggestions for design changes, especially things that will make it look more retro. The drawing isn't super detailed, so I'll have to figure some stuff out as I build it.

1capQ.jpg

TgrQh.jpg

Replies

• ikblue
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Huhuh, I like retro futuristic style a lot ^^ can't wait to see more ;)
  • Piesandbombs
    Very neat concept, I've always had a love for retro-spacesuits and the like.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, good luck!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty cool so far.

You mentioned you don't have a lot of details down in the concepts. The face and hair look like one of those areas. Do you have any specific references for either of those? That stuff can be hard to make up on the fly. Also, did you base that gun on an existing one?
  • jmt
    @ikblue @piesandbombs Thanks!

@Frump Yeah, I have several references for the head and hair. I've sort of reached the limit of what I can draw without taking a long time on details and shading. For the gun concept, I started by painting over a side photograph of a Ruger handgun and then reshaped it and added all of the sci-fi parts. I gathered a lot of images real and fantasy guns for ideas.

I worked on the high poly gun today:
    Exxf6.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Just an observation, but the gun is the least "retro-future" feeling thing so far. it feels like an obvious mashup of a modern gun, and a retrofuture gun. They don't mesh.

If I were making one I'd want it to feel more like the weta retro blasters, the style in fo3, things of that nature.

Some inspiration for what I feel is retro-future style.
    http://www.wetanz.com/rayguns/

hit google with "raygun" and you'll see a lot more.

Definitely promising, but I'd dig up a bunch of actual references in the form of actual retro art first.
  • jmt
    @pseudobug Thanks for the critique. You're right about the gun not matching the character. I'm not a big fan of the crazy mad scientist steampunk-esque rayguns, so I'm going to try for more of a sleek design.

Here's the blockout of the new gun. The model is looking a bit flimsy, possibly needs more interesting forms/details and I need to shape the handle (among other things).
    bntq7.jpg

The old gun is kind of cool, but it's more Star Wars style. I added too many of the wrong kind of details. It was good practice, and I made it in 1 day, so its not much of a loss. This one goes on the scrap pile.
    EClPR.jpg

And some work on the helmet high poly:
    KCx2N.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely a good start on the raygun. Fits much better.

You can learn from everything you make. . .that's for sure.

Also, the previous gun looks much more cohesive without that coil/bubble tip on it as well.
  • jmt
    @pseudoBug Thanks. The new gun design is based on pistols from Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Lost in Space, Frazetta's sci-fi illustrations etc.

The bulb coil thing on the old gun was sort of a last minute addition, trying to get it to look more retro. It definitely looks better without it.

I've got some other designs for the backpack that I'm going to play around with as well.