Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

banal ruins

igi
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
igi polycounter lvl 12
I'm working on an environment that includes ruins.Here are early setup of modular pieces in the viewport..I'll try to derive some more modular meshes from existing resources.After that I want to import them to the UDK.Really I gotta wrap my head to that modular stuff.And yeah I need some critiques as well,thanks.
b_rnn_test1.jpg
b_rnn_test2.jpg
b_rnn_3.jpg
b_rnn_4.jpg
Currently sitting on 3008tris.
b_rnn_wire.jpg
And this is initial concept I drew long time ago.This is where I get inspired.
29c2dj6.jpg

Replies

• Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    good start. only thing id say is the columns might be higher tessellation than needed but it might be fine if you are going to be upclose to it a lot.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    For some reason I missed the B in the title..
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the opening at the bottom should be more like the concept - larger and centered under the arch above. That makes the level designer side of my brain happier. :)
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Little critic: ZBrush the stones especially the parts between the stones in the arc, it's heavily visible, that the black parts are just textures that are supposed to be smal bits between the stone. Just a minor thing :)
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the replies.

@Macattackk Thanks.Yeah it will be upclose.Poly budget is not bothers me that much for now.

@Free_Fall The title was a reference to that awesome thread.Is it really that much bad :poly122:

@WarrenMarshall Same here.Me either don't comfortable with perfectly rounded arch shape.It is a placeholder thought.Thanks.

@Anchang-Style Wait a moment.You're right.The arch shapes are made by bending a straight long box with a baked flat texture on it.So there is no model shape information obtained from the normal map.Here are this explains it better:
    trimbrick_test1.jpg
    I'm using same brick texture for both trim and arch meshes to save some resources.But it haven't turned out well, especially the gaps.The bricks are round because I wanted to give it eroded chalk stone feeling.Is this a right approach?Or should I go for that kind of way by sculpting arch bricks in a different shape.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    It would be better if you got rid of the blacklines on the top edge of your stones and had a less black ambient occlusion there, much like this:

temp6.jpg