Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4r2 Wacom sensitivity problem?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
Hi!
I recently upgraded to Zbrush 4r2 (not 4r2b) both at home and at work and I'm getting one problem in particular.

Sometimes the sensitivity just turns off in Zbrush, meaning that the tablet works like a mouse sensitivity-wise. So it doesn't matter how hard I press down the pen, it's either on or off. I have to restart Zbrush to take care of it and I have no idea what causes it as of yet.

I have two completely different set ups at home and work, I did however copy the layout and hotkeys from my older version of zbrush but other than that, everything is standard. The problem only occurs in Zbrush, still have sensitivity in my other programs.

It happens maybe 3-4 times a day and as far as I know, its not a specific thing that causes it.

Has anyone had a similar problem and/or a solution? I would be very grateful for some insight.

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yeah, this happens to me as well. I don't have a fix, but an easy workaround is to minimise then maximise Zbrush. It seems to "refresh" the tablet sensitivity and it should work as normal again.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I find alt+tab in and out sorts it

it's probably windows fault now i think about it - not sure ive disabled the tablet service properly
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    It happens when I save tools out. Just click on the desktop and then go back in to zbrush. Bit of a pain really.
    Also I find that the default of 25 for brush strength is 'way' too high. Even with wacom senstivity set to max firmness, I still have to set my brushes at 5 or 6 strength to make them work properly.

may be mistaken on this but also if a subtool gets resized by mistake this seems to affect the brushes and how they behave.
    sometimes I end up rescaling subtools by appending to another subtool I know is working well.
    I never thought zbrush performance was mesh scale dependent?
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh snap, I'll try out the stuff you mentioned next time it happens. Thanks for a quick response :)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I think this is not zbrush fault, I get that issue in zbrush, 3dcoat and Kara. Photoshop is unaffected though.
    I think it's either system dependant or the driver. And yeah voiding focus and giving it back to the app is the workaround. It's annoying if you multitask with 2d/3d programs.
  • LeMarchant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sometimes when I´m painting with wacom it doubles my mesh and places it into the tools palette, I have to New Document click&drag again to be able to continue working :/

Why doubles???:(
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Does it duplicate the tool, or just snapshot it to the canvas? The latter is a known bug that is supposed to be patched soon.
  • LeMarchant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea it snapshots i guess. So there´s no way around this...
  • cryrid
  • dreatern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreatern polycounter lvl 6
    I've noticed this loss of pressure sensitivity some times, and i came to the conclusion that it is caused by applications running in backgrouns ( usually those in the system tray ).
    This is more common when we have anti virus installed they do scan in background and alerts may appear at any time resulting in lost of pressure sensitivity. (i use mcafee and whenever a alert appears the sensitivity stop)

msn, steam, xfire, tweetdeck (adobe air version) and any program with tooltip may cause some conflict with the tablet when they appear
    in most cases the pressure stop for 1, 2 seconds and then back to normal
    happens a lot in photoshop here....

My biggest problem here is mcafee. I've marked to never show alerts but they keep coming :susp:

win7 x64 intuos 4 here

be aware when it happens and see if any tooltip appeared before
    scr_tooltip.png
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I still believe it's a bug in wacom drivers, it's been around for a looong time now, and it's very hard to pinpoint the origin of what makes the active windows lose focus that's why it's still not fixed.
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses. Tabbing out and back in works for me, it's a little cumbersome but at least I don't have to restart it every time. Ty Ty
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    I've been trying to do the zsphere tutorial for making a simple rock. Every time I get to the part where you start to use planar brushes I end up getting funky results. I use a wacome intuos and sometimes I can be sculpting onto the polymesh and nothing happens, or a great chunk of something will happen. I know a lot of people sing high praises of zbrush but I'm finding it far to buggy to sculpt with. I've come from blender sculpting, and I've found that blender just cant handle very high poly models so I purchased zbrush.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The planar brush uses a Once-Orientation option for the Picker setting, so it will be using your initial click to determine which plane to use for the entire stroke. On some objects (especially smooth dense ones like spheres), the plane it picks is only going to lead to a very small nick off the top unless you play with it's depth setting to get the party started.

planar.jpg
  • Cube Republic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cube Republic polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Cryid, thank you for your reply, that explains a lot! I don't know why I'm finding the transition to zbrush so hard, but I will stick with it. I also had a play with the tablet sub-settings and that has made things behave more as I expected them to.
  • kettlefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Everyone,

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I've been having a similar pressure sensitivity loss recently and this is one of the few threads I've been able to find that addresses it.

Before I mention the specific problem I've been having it's important to say that I run zbrush on Linux through WINE. Therefore, this may only affect Linux users. As I'm using linux, I can't use any of the workarounds mentioned above.

For me, it always happens when I save my current tool or load a tool. The problem seemed to be intermittent, and because I couldn't pin down the steps to reproduce it was very difficult to predict, but I made a bit of a break through last night. Yay.

It seems (and I have no real idea why) that if I save or load a tool by clicking the save/load buttons with my wacom, the tablet loses focus and can't regain it without restarting zbrush. However, if I click the save/load buttons with my mouse it works just fine and I maintain pressure sensitivity.

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the way linux, WINE and zbrush are all interacting. I imagine this is only a problem on Linux, but I thought I'd share it just in case. If anyone has any idea why this happens I'd love to know.

Kettle.
  • poLLos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poLLos polycounter lvl 3
    Hello Everyone,

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I've been having a similar pressure sensitivity loss recently and this is one of the few threads I've been able to find that addresses it.

Before I mention the specific problem I've been having it's important to say that I run zbrush on Linux through WINE. Therefore, this may only affect Linux users. As I'm using linux, I can't use any of the workarounds mentioned above.

For me, it always happens when I save my current tool or load a tool. The problem seemed to be intermittent, and because I couldn't pin down the steps to reproduce it was very difficult to predict, but I made a bit of a break through last night. Yay.

It seems (and I have no real idea why) that if I save or load a tool by clicking the save/load buttons with my wacom, the tablet loses focus and can't regain it without restarting zbrush. However, if I click the save/load buttons with my mouse it works just fine and I maintain pressure sensitivity.

I know it sounds a bit crazy, but I'm assuming it has something to do with the way linux, WINE and zbrush are all interacting. I imagine this is only a problem on Linux, but I thought I'd share it just in case. If anyone has any idea why this happens I'd love to know.

Kettle.
    I will also apologize for reviving this old thread but I just had to reply to say THANK YOU!

I am using ZBrush in WINE and noticed the exact same issue when exporting or importing, but your solution of using the mouse for exports and imports worked perfectly.

So happy I can ditch windoes for good now.