Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Model plane 3D print from Shapeways

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Conor polycounter lvl 18
Here's the raw model as it arrived. This is printed with the 'White Detail' material.
shapeways_drone01.jpg

Painted with acrylics.
shapeways_drone05.jpg

Overall I think the quality is pretty good. It's not as detailed as a commercial model like a Citadel miniature or a model plane kit, but the plastic is softer and slightly bendy which makes it feel more like a toy than a model. It's perfect for board game prototypes.

This was my first attempt at a 3D print and I'm very happy with the results. Next time I'll avoid such thin wings and I'll probably add more of the beveled lines as they really help with painting. This model is 9cm long and it cost $17 to print.

[Update] - I've have a few more drones printed and decided to update this post with the new ones:

shapeways_drone10.jpg
shapeways_drone11.jpg
shapeways_drone12.jpg
shapeways_drone13.jpg
shapeways_drone15.jpg

The original low-polygon models used in the game...
shapeways_drone17.jpg

High res versions created for printing...
shapeways_drone16.jpg

I learned my lesson from the first attempt and printed the wings thicker so they wouldn't bend. They still got slightly bent in transit, but I was able to straighten them out by soaking the models in hot water to soften them up.

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    kinda looks like this plane.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w23NFvnXYOg&feature=related"]YF-23 Black Widow vs YF-22 Raptor usaf last fighter competition - YouTube[/ame]
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how much did it cost you?
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Alberto - yes it's a Blackwidow crossed with a Global Hawk.

f-23-ec94-42454-32.jpg
    global-hawk-1
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    letronrael wrote: »
    how much did it cost you?

$17 to print and $20 to ship. Next time I'll order more than one model at a time! This was just a test run to see what the quality is like.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The surface looks pretty rough compared to the ones we get done for CTC, but never the less $17 is amazingly cheap. Do you think you'd be able to sand it down smoother?
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Good thread! I know I'd been eyeing shapeways for a long time before I finally decided to try them out.

I sculpted a dog, made a texture, and got it printed on colored sandstone at about 2.5 inches tall. The printed detail is pretty good, but unfortunately a lot of it is hard to see because of the roughness of the surface. The colors are pretty washed out and bland looking. It's a pretty tough little piece of sandstone, though it's definitely possible to chip pieces off. I ordered two, costing about 30 dollars to print and ship both.

For anyone considering printing their model - remember that price is based on VOLUME of material used! That means that printing a 10-inch tall street light will cost less than printing a 5-inch tall car. It also means that every time you double the height/width of your model, the price gets 8x larger! Make your model hollow, if you can, but remember that it needs a hole in the surface (can't have an airtight hollow model).
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade - yeah the curved areas are a little rough - they almost look like wood. They have a finer material called Frosted High Detail which I might try next. You could certainly sand this, I drilled a hole in the base with a hand drill but didn't try sanding it.

dirigible - I've seen a lot of toys made with the colored sandstone, but I prefer to paint the model myself so I went with the White Detail material for this model.
  • Conor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conor polycounter lvl 18
    First post updated with 3 new printed drones.