Home General Discussion

Exis Interactive offers outsource and games financing!!!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
I shared this on the news page but I thought it was an interesting new take on things. Currently I'm not aware of anyone else doing this or have heard about it in the past.

What are your thoughts?

I think it might open it up to teams with smaller spread out budgets and maybe even the bigger guys that like to spread things out over time.

http://www.exisinteractive.com/financing/

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Just a random thought from me..

I like the idea of it, this service will be great for Indie studios no doubt. However, I can't help but think that perhaps this is a play by Exis to become the next big EA/Activision in 10 years or so.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if it takes off like that brandoom then I don't see that as a bad thing. Just because a company becomes successful don't mean they act like clowns.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yeah that would be a better outcome than what i suspect Exis is looking for.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    competition for the big players is always good.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think it would be a bad idea at all for more competition - any competition is good competition as far as I'm concerned.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    I think I don't understand it correctly yet, maybe it's my english. But is this the same as a loan? If so, what's different about it?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    osman wrote: »
    I think I don't understand it correctly yet, maybe it's my english. But is this the same as a loan? If so, what's different about it?

Most banks and investors don't want to loan money to game devs - they either don't understand the business or see it as too risky.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The page clearly says Exis is offering financing for their clients. What this means is, if you want to hire them for some outsource work and don't have the money up front, they will let you make payments.

This doesn't say anything about a loan for game devs, or whatever else people are implying, unless I'm reading the wrong page.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Slum wrote: »
    The page clearly says Exis is offering financing for their clients. What this means is, if you want to hire them for some outsource work and don't have the money up front, they will let you make payments.

This doesn't say anything about a loan for game devs, or whatever else people are implying, unless I'm reading the wrong page.

That's how I understood it from the linked page too. Didn't see anything about financing indie projects. Just financing work you outsource to them.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slums right... It's not for start ups or Indie devs... Just for places to finance outsource work to them. Rather then one large lump sum up front they pay out in payments.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    what if it doesnt do well. How is the debt done then

What do you mean? This is a means to control your budget piece by piece. Not here is free labor since you have no money.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    what if it doesnt do well. How is the debt done then

What do you mean?

Im guessing he meant whats going to happen if the project doesnt go well, what happens to the debt..

Well.. I suppose that it's gonna happen bank-style: They're going to take everything you own until the debt is repaid. :)
  • renren22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renren22 polycounter lvl 17
    I think this is a great idea!A lot of developers need help especially in the
    art department and Exis has got people of Triple A skill to give their game the
    edge.The financial side will now no longer be a stumbling block to further their
    ambitions.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I shared this on the news page but I thought it was an interesting new take on things. Currently I'm not aware of anyone else doing this or have heard about it in the past.

What are your thoughts?

I think it might open it up to teams with smaller spread out budgets and maybe even the bigger guys that like to spread things out over time.

http://www.exisinteractive.com/financing/

Lol- When a developer borrows 30 million lets hope the subcontractors don't get paid on layaway as well.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hey Everyone, Thanks for the interest and the kind words.

I can help clear up some of the confusion. What we're offering is essentially a "revolving line of credit", which is fancytalk for a studio credit card that can be used with Exis.

We pass the financial info off to our financing partners, and they'll approve a given applicant. Once an applicant is approved, they'll be given a credit line that they can spend with us, for example, $1,000,000. They can then buy as much art outsource/development from Exis as they want, and not have to pay for it upfront.

They can make payments as they see fit, just like you would for a credit card.

All this does is give our clients the option of managing their financial situation better. We hope that it can be a benefit to them, and make it so developers are less likely to lay people off due to cash flow problems.

This is just a way to help our clients be more competitive, and also an attempt to innovate the business of games. My dream for my company has always been to grow while making a product that people can use, and enjoy.
  • robert.B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robert.B polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool idea!