Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LIBERTARIA-027 - Space Armor Combat-

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
danitchu polycounter lvl 5
Hi!!, i just finish my last personal work Libertaria-027
The armor have 14972 tris and use 2048x2048 difusse, normal , spec and glow maps. The hammer have 586 and the base 451 tris , both use 1024x1024 difffuse, normal and spec maps.
The final render its with Marmoset and the focus lights added with photoshop
Thanks for watching!!!

libertaria_danitchu_nowire1.jpg
libertaria_danitchu_final_textures_web.jpg
libertaria_danitchu_wire1.jpg
Libertaria_danitchu2_wip29_12_11.jpg

http://danielorive.blogspot.com/

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work. I think it might be over-detailed. I know that sounds weird and I'm probably not the one to explain it properly. To me it just seems like there's too much detail over all and its hard to focus on any forms or focus points.

Still the amount of detail you put into that sculpt is pretty impressive.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this in waywo, very cool.

I really dig the high poly. Lot of cool shapes going on there.

I feel like the final, textured version of him comes off as a little noisy. You have a lot of really cool shapes in the high poly that don't read as well on the finished low poly.

It looks like you have a lot of value variation on the diffuse, which almost comes off as galvanized metal.

I think this is mainly just a personal taste thing though.

Perhaps you could ad more color variation between different metal plate pieces. Maybe instead of having different shades of grey he could have some more reds or oranges or something to make some details pop a bit.
  • danitchu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danitchu polycounter lvl 5
    You are right guys!!, for my next scifi character i will try to find more balance in details, thanks for the crit much appreciate it smile.gif
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Absolutely love it. In a way i agree with the over detailed comments, but on the other hand it's awesome just looking at it and keep finding new bits :D

What was your process for the high poly?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Did you make this in zBrush? I agree with Hayden that it is a little noizy. the untextured shots looks a little less noisy and easier on the eyes.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    This is quality shit.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    some larger portions of clean colour/paint would probably help break up the noise.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    It's been said before, but I'll try to shed new light:

Good designs provide areas of interest through CONTRAST and COLOR and SMALL DETAILS. The problem with your textured version is that the only areas of interest are the glowing lights. The entire rest of the robot is so detailed that it just reads as noise, effectively killing any contrast, and muddying any color, and confusing the viewer when they try to find a small detail to focus on - because there's too many! The reason people like the untextured version better is that it removes a lot of the noise, allowing people to focus on the actual shapes of the robot. Unfortunately even the sculpt is - in my opinion - overly detailed. Remember that good designs provide a balance between large and small details. Your robot is made up almost entirely of small details. To save this design, I would break it up into large chunks of color. Do some studies in photoshop, just quick paintovers. The things to focus on are
    1. Decide what areas you want the viewer to focus on. The head is an obvious choice. I would also choose the gauntlets and the back plate.
    2. Make sure those areas have the greatest contrast and the most vibrant colors.
    3. Everything is super detailed, but you can hide that by applying the same color to things. Only in areas of interest should you allow the details to stand by themselves, instead of blending in with the larger shapes.