Home Technical Talk

Modelling a shirt collar

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone!

I'm modeling clothes for a character I'm making, and I keep struggling with this issue.

I'm talking about a high poly model, for an animation short we're making right now (school project), and there'll be some close ups on that part (the collar of the shirt).

The collar is supposed to look a bit like this:
shirt-collar-flipped.jpg

Now the problem is, the as long as the entire outfit is facing outward, I can keep the cloth as a plane with no thickness other than extruding edges inside to give it an apparent thickness. But once I model the collar, I gotta give it thickness if I want to fold it outward, which is where my problem is.

I thought I could do this in a few ways, but I'm not sure which is the correct/most beneficial one.

I thought of using the shell modifier after modeling the entire outfit.

I thought of making the collar a separate model, sitting on top of the main clothing outfit, but that would probably prevent me from being able to show the connection between the two.

I thought of flipping the normals on the specific faces the are flipped, to avoid rendering backfaces.

And obviously, just going with backfaces and that's it.

So my question is how is it done usually?
Is any of the ways above the way it's done, or is there something I didn't think of?

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the wall of text. :)

Replies

• Luke003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke003 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there, I'd love to offer you some advice of my own, but I'm still trying to get better at this stuff myself. I did, however, find this a couple days ago while doing some research for my next attempt at a character model.

Here is the picture, http://www.9jcg.com/tutorials/mashuru_mishu/making_of_street_cop/large/street_cop_workflow_03.jpg

He explains it in detail right under the pic. I honestly didn't understand it fully, but I'm running on 3 days without sleep. :poly142:

I am personally trying to improve my workflows and pipeline knowledge. I found your inquiry interesting, because I was wondering the same thing. Hope this helps, somehow..
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Blaken wrote: »
    I'm talking about a high poly model, for an animation short we're making right now (school project), and there'll be some close ups on that part (the collar of the shirt).

Now the problem is, the as long as the entire outfit is facing outward, I can keep the cloth as a plane with no thickness other than extruding edges inside to give it an apparent thickness. But once I model the collar, I gotta give it thickness if I want to fold it outward, which is where my problem is.

If it's for a high poly model you should just give it thickness. Don't try to conserve polygons when there's no reason to.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    model it flat, get the shape you want than shell it.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, thanks, I understand now.

What about cloth simulation though?
    Say I shell a shirt with a similar collar, and give it some simulation. Will it work properly or does simulation require a plane like I expect it to?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what 3d packages are you using, in the case of 3ds max just keep the shell as a modifier, so the cloth sim is only happening to a plane, than it is being shelled after the cloth sim.

that should also work in blender too since both shell and the soft body simulations are in the modifier stack.

with some time i could prolly look into a good method for a app like maya which dosnt use modifers.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm modeling in Max, but animation will be done in Maya.
    Rendering is still a question, we're not sure if max or maya.

That might be a good opportunity to ask about that as well actually. :)