Home Technical Talk

Maya duplicating faces on each other

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
Hey all,

I am still getting used to Maya, and I am wondering if someone can tell me what I am doing, as I have done it a couple of times now... I am duplicating all the faces of my object. Also the new faces have reversed normals, so when I delete the 'original' face, I am left with another face that is flipped.

I am wondering if there is a hot key for doing this (no idea why there would be...) or what I am doing to cause this? Also what would be the best way to clean up/fix my mesh.

Thanks!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    That might happen if you run an extrude by accident and don't undo it.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But this isn't a single face that it's happening to, its EVERY face. The only thing I can think of is I have a hot key to combine mesh's, so maybe I am duplicating the entire mesh and then merging by accident... but I still don't understand why the duped faces would have inverted normals :S
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Well the reason I say an sxtrude is that, if you click extrude by accident for whatever reason and don't move it, you will have exactly what you talk about happening.

Take a sphere start an extrude operation, exit the tool and grab faces, you will see that they are duplicates, and one set are flipped the other way.

I'm not saying this is what is happening to you, but it used to happen to me back in the day when I would want to undo extrudes, and didn't undo all the way.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info m4dcow! That's most likely what it was then, as I have been doing a ton of extruding in this scene :)
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Yes you can use extrude without selecting any faces and it'll default to selecting all faces. So if you put extrude on a hotkey and hit that by accident when you have the object selected it'll extrude your complete model :p