Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Torchlight 2 concept contest

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
I never made a real thread for this since I hadn't made the orthos yet. Now that the orthos are complete, I wanted to plug this in here.

For those of you that don't know, Runic had a concept art contest that went on during Xmas break. The winner gets their concept modeled and put into the game, which is pretty badass!

Unfortunately I was not able to get my orthos submitted as I only had 1 day to work on it (I was in the Philippines for my break), so I could only complete the painting, which will hurt my chances of winning. Anywho, here it is. If anyone is interested in modeling this, message me and I'll send you a link to the full-rez orthos.

torchlightarmorfinalweb.jpg

torchlightarmorlinesweb.jpg

orthose.jpg

Replies

• Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks awesome! If I wasn't so eager about getting my actual project done, I'd give it a try. But I bet there's waaay better people out there that could actually make something awesome out of this.
    Anyway, I hope someone takes the challenge, because that would be interesting to see. :)
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    sad u couldnt submit the orthos ! You definitely would be at the top with that entry !
    ..but maybe u are lucky and still win cuz its so awesome .. i really like it!
    cheers
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Great concept really, i might accept the challenge to model it after i've finished the personal project i'm working on right now ;)
    Btw, i hope you've been to Boracay in the Philippines, it's just beautiful! :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man. As I said before - great work:)
    My minor nitpick would be the titties on the breast plate and the torso width:
    9miz3.gif
    The boobs muscles go into shoulders so they have to be wider and the torso could be a little bit wider as well for more menacing proportions.
    And yeah I moved the head up a bit, 'cause judging by the sideview there could be no place for a neck. But of course it hard to tell without actually seeing his neck, so it's just a guess.

Anyway great work. And I take it you didn't qualify because you entry lacked orthos? If so - too bad. I liked your entry most.
  • Un_Delincuente
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_Delincuente polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing painting. Its a shame you weren't able to submit it.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!

d1ver- That's a great point, I think I'm going to fix that in the orthos. I definitely don't want him to have moobs :p!!

I did not disqualify, but it does hurt my chances. They haven't announced the winner yet, so we'll see in the next week or two probably.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Good luck, he's pretty damn cool. I'd imagine one of their artists could deal with a 3d view only, I didn't see the other entries but yours is really well done.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Dude that concept is rocking! How many hours did it take you?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The orthos actually took quite a bit of time, matching all the details @ front & side views. I should have just done blockouts in Maya and sketched over them. I believe they took about 16 hours. If I did a blockout in Maya I probably could have cut down the hours by aboot 1/3.