Home Unreal Engine

Cube Map Issue

Hey guy's

Got a problem with my cube map, (please note the first image i made the value higher so you could see what's going on i know it's not meant to look like that haha)

For some reason my cube map is always much larger in the reflection then its meant to be? i have tried resizing the cube, editing some settings there like texture size and cube far / near clip plane, redoing the process, up scaling my environment, moving it around the environment ect also used the default UDK ones to check if they were also large but they seemed fine.

this is the tutorial i followed to create it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Zh3qDyXOY"]Chrome Material (Part 1) - UDK Tutorials by Javahawk - YouTube[/ame]

cubemapdoor.jpg

nodescubemap.jpg

if anybody can help thank you! :D

Replies

• Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... without looking closer at your scene... I'd guess that your scene capture actor is closer to the door than the wall you are expecting to use it on. That in effect would make the reflections larger in scale than you want.

I've only tinkered a few times with reflections and in this case I thought the actor you want to use was a plane, not a sphere. Insight from the pros would be nice here.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed: for a wall like that a sphere map won't give you accurate reflective behaviour. Use a sceneCaptureReflectActor instead of a cube.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did try removing the doors from the scene to see if that helped but i felt like i was doing something wrong so wanted to know something from the experts here :D

ahh thank you so much! i will give this ago seems such an obvious thing haha.
    My fault for not exploring UDK enough.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i'm having issues getting it to work in the material is there something i'm missing? i redid it with the sceneCaptureReflectActor and made a rendertotexturetarget2D in the same way as the cube but replacing the new texture taken from that instead of the cube one in the material editor just breaks it.

Everything else on the material is the same so zoomed in for the error. The old texture is floating just above.

error.jpg
  • Ken Benson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plug in a component mask in front of vector transform.
    This will make your material work, but I don't know how to solve the green line.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Green line is normal. It's showing an area off the renders or frame buffer.
    And yes you'll need a 2 vector rather than a 3 for a 2d texture lookup rather than a cube map.
    Just mask off the blue channel of the reflection vector.
    Also FYI the reflection vector doesn't take normal maps into account by default.
    Often not an issue but I have a material function to take it into account.
    http://db.tt/6Iy5zvm0
    Dropbox link to a zip of a package of material functions I've made. One is "per pixel reflection vector". Useful for this sort of thing.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the late the reply, thanks allot for both of your advice and the link very kind!